Solidago nemoralis is a species of flowering plant in the aster family, Asteraceae. It is native to North America, where it is widely distributed in Canada except the northern provinces and the United States except the western states. Its common names include gray goldenrod, gray-stem goldenrod, old-field goldenrod, field goldenrod, prairie goldenrod, dwarf goldenrod, and dyersweed goldenrod.
Like other goldenrods, this species is a perennial herb. One of the smaller goldenrods, It grows 20 centimeters to one meter tall from a branching caudex. There are 1 to 6 erect stems, sometimes more. The stems are reddish to gray-green and have lines of short, white hairs. The lower leaves are up to 9.5 centimeters long and the blades are borne on winged petioles. Leaves on the upper half of the stem are narrower and shorter and lack petioles. The spreading inflorescence can carry up to 300 flower heads. The head contains 5 to 11 yellow ray florets each a few millimeters long and up to 10 yellow disc florets. Flowering occurs in late summer and fall. The fruit is a rough-texured cypsela about 2 millimeters long tipped with a pappus of bristles slightly longer.
- S. nemoralis ssp. decemflora – tetraploid taxon with larger flower heads and narrower basal leaves in west-central North America
- S. nemoralis ssp. nemoralis – diploid or tetraploid taxon in the eastern regions of the species' range
The flowers have a variety of insect pollinators, including honey bees, carpenter bees, halictid bees, plasterer bees, sphecid wasps, vespid wasps, butterflies, moths, beetles, hoverflies, tachinid flies, flesh flies, blow flies, and muscid flies.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Solidago nemoralis.|
- Solidago nemoralis. Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN).
- Solidago nemoralis. NatureServe. 2012.
- Belt, S. 2009. Plant Fact Sheet for gray goldenrod (Solidago nemoralis). USDA NRCS, Norman A. Berg National Plant Materials Center, Beltsville, MD. 2009.
- Solidago nemoralis. Native American Ethnobotany. University of Michigan, Dearborn.
- Solidago nemoralis. Flora of North America.
- Solidago nemoralis. USDA PLANTS.
|This Astereae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|