|• Total||0.85 sq mi (2.20 km2)|
|• Land||0.85 sq mi (2.20 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,171 ft (357 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,095|
|• Density||1,288.2/sq mi (497.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0476660|
Solomon is a city in Dickinson and Saline counties in the U.S. state of Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,095. The Saline County portion of Solomon is part of the Salina Micropolitan Statistical Area.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,095 people, 433 households, and 295 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,288.2 inhabitants per square mile (497.4 /km2). There were 465 housing units at an average density of 547.1 per square mile (211.2 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.1% White, 0.3% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.9% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 433 households of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.0% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.9% were non-families. 27.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the city was 36.4 years. 27.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.8% were from 25 to 44; 22.6% were from 45 to 64; and 13.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.5% male and 50.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,072 people, 416 households, and 302 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,634.8 people per square mile (627.1/km²). There were 452 housing units at an average density of 689.3 per square mile (264.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.32% White, 0.19% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.93% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.15% of the population.
There were 416 households out of which 38.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.2% were non-families. 23.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.5% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,469, and the median income for a family was $48,203. Males had a median income of $34,926 versus $19,063 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,800. About 8.6% of families and 13.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.3% of those under age 18 and 9.0% of those age 65 or over.
Primary and secondary education
- Kenneth McLeod, Canadian politician
- Seymour Stedman, lawyer and Socialist candidate for Vice-President of the United States
- Guide Map of the Best and Shortest Cattle Trail to the Kansas Pacific Railway; Kansas Pacific Railway Company; 1875. (Read Online)(Map)
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Nussle, Jim (2008-11-20). "Micropolitan Statistical Areas". List 1-9. Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President. p. 97. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- USD 393
- Kansas School District Boundary Map
- Saline County School District Map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Solomon, Kansas.|
- USD 393, local school district
- Solomon City Map, KDOT
- Dickinson County Map, KDOT
- Saline County Map, KDOT
- Saline County School District Map, Saline.org