Solon Irving Bailey
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|Solon Irving Bailey|
December 29, 1854|
Lisbon, New Hampshire
|Died||June 5, 1931
|Alma mater||Boston University|
|Known for||Establishing the Boyden Station|
After the observatory received the "Boyden Fund" bequest from the will of Uriah A. Boyden, Bailey played a major role in finding a site for "Boyden Station" in Arequipa, Peru, and was in charge of it from 1892 to 1919. He was also one of the first to carry out meteorological studies in Peru, traveling extensively in desolate areas at very high altitude. Boyden Station was moved to South Africa in 1927 due to better weather conditions and became known as the Boyden Observatory.
Bailey was acting director of Harvard College Observatory from 1919 to 1921 after the death of Edward Charles Pickering and prior to the appointment of Harlow Shapley. He worked as a senior colleague with Henrietta Swan Leavitt. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1892.
- "BAILEY, Solon Irving". The International Who's Who in the World: p. 61. 1912.
- Hockey, Thomas (2009). The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers. Springer Publishing. ISBN 978-0-387-31022-0. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Johnson, George (2005). Miss Leavitt's Stars: The Untold Story of the Woman Who Discovered How to Measure the Universe. New York: W.W. Norton & Company. p. 28. ISBN 0-393-05128-5.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter B". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- Fernie, J. D. (2000). "In Search of Better Skies: Harvard in Peru I". American Scientist 88 (5): 396. doi:10.1511/2000.5.396.
- Fernie, J. D. (2001). "In Search of Better Skies:Harvard in Peru, II". American Scientist 89 (2): 123. doi:10.1511/2001.2.123.
- Fernie, J. D. (2001). "Harvard in Peru III". American Scientist 89 (5): 402. doi:10.1511/2001.5.402.
- National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoir
- Delury, R. E.; Harper, W. E. (1931). "News and Comments". Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada 25: 266. Bibcode:1931JRASC..25..266D
- "Obituary Notices : Associates :- Bailey, Solon I". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 92: 263. 1932. Bibcode:[http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1932MNRAS..92..263. 1932MNRAS..92..263.
- Cannon, A. J. (1931). "Solon Irving Bailey, 1854-1931". Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 43: 317. Bibcode:1931PASP...43..317C. doi:10.1086/124151.
- Dieke, Sally (1970). "Bailey, Solon Irving". Dictionary of Scientific Biography 1. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. pp. 397–398. ISBN 0-684-10114-9.
|This article about an astronomer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|