Some Kind of Wonderful (film)
|Some Kind of Wonderful|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Howard Deutch|
|Produced by||John Hughes|
|Written by||John Hughes|
Mary Stuart Masterson
|Music by||Stephen Hague
|Edited by||Bud S. Smith
M. Scott Smith
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Running time||95 minutes|
Some Kind of Wonderful is a 1987 American romance film starring Eric Stoltz, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Lea Thompson. It is one of the several successful teen dramas written by John Hughes in the 1980s, although this one was directed by Howard Deutch.
The film is set against the strict social hierarchy of an American public high school. The tomboyish Watts (Mary Stuart Masterson) has always considered working class misfit Keith Nelson (Eric Stoltz) her best friend. But when Keith asks out the most popular girl in school, Amanda Jones (Lea Thompson), Watts realizes she feels something much deeper for him. Meanwhile, Hardy Jenns (Craig Sheffer), Amanda's Corvette-driving spoiled ex-boyfriend from the rich section of town, plans to cause trouble for Keith; although he has no real feelings for Amanda, he feels humiliated at losing her to a social inferior. However, Keith cunningly manages things to his own and Amanda's advantage and gives Hardy his well-deserved comeuppance by simply telling him that by using his money to treat people like possessions and toys he will never know true happiness or have anyone in his life that will appreciate him for more than just his money and good looks. In the end, Amanda realizes that she needs time alone and Keith clues into Watts's feelings for him.
- Eric Stoltz as Keith Nelson
- Mary Stuart Masterson as Watts
- Lea Thompson as Amanda Jones
- Craig Sheffer as Hardy Jenns
- John Ashton as Cliff Nelson
- Elias Koteas as Duncan
- Molly Hagan as Shayne
- Maddie Corman as Laura Nelson
- Jane Elliot as Carol Nelson
- Candace Cameron Bure as Cindy Nelson
- Chynna Phillips as Mia
- Scott Coffey as Ray
- Carmine Caridi as Museum Guard
- Lee Garlington as Gym Instructor
- Pamela Anderson as Party Guest
The film was generally well received by critics. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported that 80% of critics gave it a positive rating, based on 35 reviews. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times praised the film, calling it worthwhile and entertaining. Janet Maslin of The New York Times stated that Some Kind of Wonderful is the "much-improved, recycled version of the Pretty in Pink story". Richard Schickel of Time, however, criticized the film for being unrealistic. Masterson's performance was singled out for praise by several critics.
|Some Kind of Wonderful|
|Soundtrack album by Various Artists|
|Released||February 27, 1987|
|Genre||Rock, new wave|
- "Do Anything" – Pete Shelley
- "Brilliant Mind" – Furniture
- "Cry Like This" – Blue Room
- "I Go Crazy" – Flesh for Lulu
- "She Loves Me" – Stephen Duffy
- "The Hardest Walk" – The Jesus and Mary Chain
- "The Shyest Time" – The Apartments
- "Miss Amanda Jones" – The March Violets
- "Can't Help Falling in Love" – Lick the Tins
- "Turn to the Sky" – The March Violets
- "Some Kind of Wonderful". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Harris, Will (2012-02-21). "Random Roles: Lea Thompson". avclub.com. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Ebert, Roger (1987-02-27). "Review: Some Kind of Wonderful". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Maslin, Janet (1987-02-27). "Film: 'Some Kind of Wonderful'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Richard Schickel (1987-03-09). "Cinema: Teen Turmoil Some Kind Of Wonderful". Time. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Some Kind of Wonderful". Variety. 1987-01-01. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Richard Harrington (1987-02-28). "Some Kind of Wonderful". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Sutton, Michael. "Review: Some Kind of Wonderful – Original Soundtrack". Allmusic. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Some Kind of Wonderful at the Internet Movie Database
- Some Kind of Wonderful at AllMovie
- Some Kind of Wonderful at Box Office Mojo
- Some Kind of Wonderful at Rotten Tomatoes
- Some Kind of Wonderful at Metacritic
- Some Kind of Wonderful fansite