Somebody Like You
|"Somebody Like You"|
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Golden Road|
|Released||July 23, 2002|
|Length||5:23 (album version)
3:41 (radio edit)
|Writer(s)||John Shanks, Keith Urban|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"Somebody Like You" is a song recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban, co-written by him and John Shanks. It was released in July 2002 as the first single from his album Golden Road, as well as his fifth American single release. The song spent six weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now the Hot Country Songs) chart and peaked at number 23 on the Billboard Hot 100. In December 2009, Billboard also named it the number one country song of the first decade of the 21st century.
In 2003, the song was remixed for the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.
"Somebody Like You" is in common time in the key of E major. The verses use a chord pattern of E-A-E-B-A-E, with a pattern of E-A-E-A-C♯m-F♯m7 on the chorus, and the lead vocal ranges from E4 to G♯5.
The song's music video was released to Country Music Television (CMT) on August 7, 2002. It was directed by Trey Fanjoy, who also directed the video for Urban's late 2000/early 2001 single "But for the Grace of God". Urban's ex-girlfriend, Niki Taylor appeared in the video.
"Somebody Like You" reached the number one position on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now the Hot Country Songs) chart dated for the week of October 19, 2002, holding that position for six weeks and spending forty-one weeks on that chart. It also reached number 23 on the all-genre Billboard Hot 100 chart.
In December 2009, Billboard ranked "Somebody Like You" as the number one country song for the first decade of the 21st century.
Sales and certifications
The following musicians perform on this track:
- Keith Urban — lead vocals, lead guitar, ganjo, EBow, cardboard box
- Tim Akers — keyboards
- Tom Bukovac — rhythm guitar
- Dann Huff — guitars
- Chris McHugh — drums
- Jimmie Lee Sloas — bass guitar
- Russell Terrell — background vocals
- "Somebody Like You". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Keith Urban Releases New Video and New Album; "Somebody Like You" Video Set for Broadcast Premiere August 7th; New Street Date by Demand — October 8.". Business Wire (subscription required to view full article). 2002-08-06. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 437. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- "Toby Keith Named Billboard's Top Country Artist of the Decade". CMT. 2009-12-21. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Lane, Jimmy. "Country stars leave huge mark on decade". Norwich Bulletin. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Billboard, September 28, 2002
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Keith Urban. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2002: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2002. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- "Best of 2003: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2003. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "American single certifications – Keith Urban – Somebody Like You". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Golden Road (CD booklet). Capitol Records. 2002. 32936.
by Diamond Rio
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
October 19–November 23, 2002
by Rascal Flatts