Something About Cats and Other Pieces
Jacket illustration by Ronald Clyne for Something About Cats
|Author||H. P. Lovecraft|
|Cover artist||Ronald Clyne|
|Genre||fantasy, horror, science fiction short stories, poetry, essay, memoir|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|Pages||ix, 306 pp|
Something About Cats and Other Pieces is a collection of fantasy, horror and science fiction short stories, poetry and essays by American author H. P. Lovecraft. It was released in 1949 and was the fourth collection of Lovecraft's work published by Arkham House.
The stories for this volume were selected by August Derleth.
Something About Cats and Other Pieces contains the following tales:
- "A Prefatory Note" by August Derleth
- "The Invisible Monster" by Sonia Greene
- "Four O'Clock" by Sonia Greene
- "The Horror in the Burying Ground" by Hazel Heald
- "The Last Test" by Adolphe de Castro
- "The Electric Executioner" by Adolphe de Castro
- "Satan's Servants" by Robert Bloch
- "The Despised Pastoral"
- "Time and Space"
- "Merlinus Redivivus"
- "At the Root"
- "The Materialist Today"
- "Vermont: A First Impression"
- "The Battle That Ended the Century"
- "Notes for The Shadow Over Innsmouth"
- "Discarded Draught of The Shadow Over Innsmouth"
- "Notes for At the Mountains of Madness"
- "Notes for The Shadow Out of Time"
- "To the American Flag"
- "To a Youth"
- "My Favorite Character"
- "To Templeton and Mount Manadnock"
- "The House"
- "The City"
- "The Po-et's Nightmare"
- "Sir Thomas Tryout"
- "Lament for the Vanished Spider"
- "Regnar Lodbrug's Epicedium"
- "A Memoir of Lovecraft" by Rheinhart Kleiner
- "Howard Phillips Lovecraft" by Samuel Loveman
- "Lovecraft as I Knew Him" by Sonia Greene (as by Sonia H. Davis)
- "Lovecraft's Sensitivity" by August Derleth
- "Lovecraft's Conservative" by August Derleth
- "The Man Who Was Lovecraft" by E. Hoffmann Price
- "A Literary Copernicus" by Fritz Leiber, Jr.
- "Providence: Two Gentlemen Meet at Midnight" by August Derleth
- "HPL" by Vincent Starrett
- New York: Books for Libraries Press, 1971.
- Jaffery, Sheldon (1989). The Arkham House Companion. Mercer Island, WA: Starmont House, Inc. pp. 36–37. ISBN 1-55742-005-X.
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. pp. 32–33.
- Joshi, S.T. (1999). Sixty Years of Arkham House: A History and Bibliography. Sauk City, WI: Arkham House. pp. 54–55. ISBN 0-87054-176-5.
- Nielsen, Leon (2004). Arkham House Books: A Collector's Guide. Jefferson, NC and London: McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 71–72. ISBN 0-7864-1785-4.