||This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)
"Something About You" is a single released by British jazz-funk band Level 42 in 1985, in advance of its inclusion on the album World Machine the same year. The song was written by Mark King, Mike Lindup, Phil Gould, Boon Gould, and Wally Badarou.
"Something About You" was released in several countries beyond the United Kingdom, including United States, Germany, Italy, Canada, and many countries of South America and Asia. It is the only Level 42 song to be a top 10 hit in the United States, where it reached #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and it is their second top 10 hit in the United Kingdom, reaching #6 on the UK Singles Chart.
"Something About You" appears in many Level 42 collections: Level Best, The Very Best of Level 42, and The Definitive Collection.
The music video of "Something About You" is directed by Stuart Orme, who also directed videos for the Level 42 songs "Lessons in Love" and "Running in the Family", as well as Phil Collins and Genesis. The music video appears in their video album Family of Five, released in 1987.
Mark King appears as a dark clown magician, representing the negative aspects in the relationships of Mike Lindup, Phil and Boon Gould with their girlfriends, all played by actress Cherie Lunghi.
- In 1993, Paul Shaffer and the Party Boys of Rock 'n' Roll recorded an instrumental version for their album The World's Most Dangerous Party.
- In 2006, Anthony David recorded a cover of the song for his album The Red Clay Chronicles.
- In 2008, American R&B duo Zo! and Tigallo (Phonte, formerly of Little Brother) recorded a cover for their EP entitled Zo! & Tigallo Love the 80's.
- In 2010, Cary Brothers included a cover of the song on his album Under Control.
- In 2011, guitarist Craig Sharmat covered the song on his album Outside In, released on Innervision records in February of that year.
- In 2012, the Virgo Vertigo (aka - Tory World) covered the song for a video journal on YouTube.
Japanese rapper Zeebra sampled Something About You in his song "Touch The Sky".
Appearances in other media
The song was featured on the soundtrack of the 2008 video game Grand Theft Auto IV on the fictional in-game station "Vice City FM".