Something Borrowed (How I Met Your Mother)
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Greg Malins|
|Original air date||May 7, 2007|
|Season 2 episodes|
"Something Borrowed" is the 21st episode in the second season of the television series How I Met Your Mother. It originally aired on May 7, 2007.
Marshall and Lily are about to get married, however, nothing seems to be going right for either of them. Much to Lily's disgust, Scooter, her high school boyfriend, shows up at the wedding having been invited by Lily's family (even though Lily did not invite him personally), and then tries desperately but unsuccessfully to win her back. Lily also has no flowers for the ceremony, her photographer tackled and replaced with a camera phone, and her harp player is in labor and about to deliver a baby. To top things off, Lily's veil was found ruined, and Lily thinks that the wedding is just falling apart.
Marshall is also having a difficult time, as one of Lily's relatives gave him highlighted tips in his hair, and in an attempt to correct it, he shaves off a patch of hair on his head. Marshall and Lily then see each other, and they are about ready to call off the wedding. However, Ted has a plan. Since both Marshall and Lily always wanted a small wedding in a park, Ted suggests since they are outside, hold a small ceremony like they always wanted, and then go perform the ceremony in front of all of their guests. With Barney recently licensed to marry people, all they need is something to cover Marshall's bald patch, which comes in the form of a fedora, borrowed from one of the groundskeepers of the Van Smoot House.
Marshall and Lily are married by Barney, in front of only Ted and Robin. Then, without a worry about how the big ceremony takes place, they go inside, and hold the wedding ceremony in front of the family and all other friends. However, no one else knows that Marshall and Lily had been married right before. They hold the wedding reception, which carries over into "Something Blue".
- The title of the episode refers to the old saying about good luck tokens for brides: "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."
- After shaving his head, Marshall says he's leaving and never coming back and will "find that money under the rock by the tree and go live with the guys on the beach in Zihuatanejo". Ted says that they are criminals, but Marshall corrects him saying that Andy was falsely accused. This is a reference to The Shawshank Redemption. Marshall also references other famous individuals that have shaved their heads such as Britney Spears, who would later make an appearance in the series. He states that he looks like one of the Backstreet Boys (the lame-dance-move, comeback-tour Backstreet Boys, according to Barney). The hair incident is inspired in part by the viral video Bride Has Massive Hair Wig Out.
- The song played on guitar during the impromptu outdoor wedding is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.
- The piece played on piano during the opening of the episode is "La Réjouissance" from Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks.
- The harpist plays the first two measures of the Minuet in G major by Christian Petzold (formerly attributed to Bach).
- While trying to win Lily back, Scooter quotes the Guns N' Roses song November Rain.