Something Wild (album)
|Studio album by Children of Bodom|
|Recorded||July - August 1997
|Genre||Melodic death metal, melodic black metal, neo-classical metal|
|Producer||Anssi Kippo and Children of Bodom|
|Children of Bodom chronology|
Reissue with revised band logo
|Spirit of Metal|||
The album presents a darker and generally more experimental sound than the one present in their later albums, and contributed most to the infamous genre controversy of their classification as a death metal or black metal band at the time. A fair helping of black metal was still present, due to Alexi Laiho's stint (as lead guitarist) in Impaled Nazarene and his self-professed "roots being in black metal".
In a recent interview Laiho claims that the band at the time were inspired by "a lot of black and death metal bands" such as Dissection and Hypocrisy as well as classic rock/metal bands like the Scorpions, and that many other new bands in the scene were "trying to sound like Dimmu Borgir", leading to them wanting to do something "different". Laiho had gone on to consider the album their "most important", as it "put us on the map".
The song-writing here is much more free-flowing and the use of keyboards and strong neo-classical metal influences are much more prevalent than they would be in future releases such as Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper.
The "Deluxe Edition" was released much later in 2002 and includes bonus material.
- All Tracks on original version written by Alexi Laiho.
|2.||"In the Shadows"||6:01|
|3.||"Red Light in My Eyes, Pt. 1"||4:28|
|4.||"Red Light in My Eyes, Pt. 2"||3:50|
|7.||"Touch Like Angel of Death" (song ends at 5:30 followed by silence and then a 1:20 second long keyboard outro)||7:49|
|8.||"Silent Scream" (Slayer cover)||3:17|
|9.||"Don't Stop at the Top" (Scorpions cover)||3:24|
|10.||"Mass Hypnosis" (Sepultura cover)||4:07|
|Spinefarm Digipack re-release bonus tracks|
|8.||"Children of Bodom" (track also appeared on the 'Children of Bodom' split)||5:10|
|9.||"Mass Hypnosis" (Sepultura cover)||7:18|
The 2008 edition of the album does contain the hidden keyboard solo that was originally at the end of "Touch Like Angel of Death", but it is at the end of the bonus song "Mass Hypnosis".
1. The song 'The Nail' contains a piece from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.
2. The song 'Red Light In My Eyes Part 1' contains a part of Bach's Invention No. 13 in A minor.
3. The song 'Red Light In My Eyes Part 2' has musical pieces from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The intro is from his Symphony No. 25 in G minor. A little later on and the main theme from the 'Confutatis' section of his Requiem Mass in D minor appears.
- Children of Bodom
- Alexi Laiho – vocals, lead guitar
- Alexander Kuoppala – rhythm guitar
- Janne Wirman – keyboards
- Henkka Seppälä – bass
- Jaska Raatikainen – drums
- Produced by Anssi Kippo, Alexi Laiho, Jaska Raatikainen, and Children of Bodom
- Recorded and mixed by Anssi Kippo
- Assistant engineer – Jokke Ryhanen
- Assistant mixing engineer – Pasi Karppa
- Cover photo by Graham French
- Band photography by Toni Harkonen
- Cover artwork by Flea Black
- Something Wild (album) at AllMusic
- "Children Of Bodom - Something Wild". Metal Storm. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Something Wild (CD Album) : Children Of Bodom - Spirit of Metal Webzine (en)". Spirit-of-metal.com. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Children Of Bodom - Something Wild (album review)". Sputnikmusic. 2005-01-14. Retrieved 2011-08-13.