||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009)|
|Son Dam Bi|
Son Dam-bi at the Son Dam-bi's Beautiful Days press conference on March 5, 2013
|Birth name||Son Dam-bi (손담비)|
September 25, 1983 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Genres||Pop, Dance, Hip Hop, R&B|
|Occupations||Singer, Actor, Dancer, Model|
|Associated acts||After School, Kahi, Eric Mun, Jun Jin, Nam Hyun Joon|
|Website||Official Website (Korean)|
|Revised Romanization||Son Dam-bi|
Son Dam Bi is one of the most hyped names to debut in Korea. She had appeared in music videos for Paran and MYV, along with many advertisements. She first came to fame when she appeared in a commercial for an MP3 player alongside Poppin' Hyun Joon. Before her debut, MSN Japan had a video documentary made, capturing her pre-debut training and rehearsals; it attracted 480,000 visitors in 5 days. Son Dam Bi trained especially with a well-known American choreographer in preparation for this album, and people began calling her the female version of Rain (비).
Son Dam Bi’s highly anticipated debut single comes with five tracks that give her ample opportunity to show off her vocal and dancing talents. Her debut single "Cry Eye" was produced and composed by Jang Joon Ho, who previously wrote MC Mong's "180 Degrees" and Jang Woo Hyuk's "Last Game". The lyrics were provided by Brian Kim, who also penned Shinhwa’s Once in A Lifetime.
Son Dam Bi joined MBC's reality show 우리 결혼했어요 ("We Got Married"), being paired with Marco. Joining the show in late 2008 as part of the second group of couples, their last episode was on February 2, 2009.
It was also announced that Son would be part of the cast for Hype Nation, a film that has been labelled a "world movie". However, as the movie was delayed, Son released a mini-album with the single "Toyoil Bamae" ("토요일 밤에", "On a Saturday Night"). The song became her first #1 hit, topping various on- and offline charts, including M! Countdown (within 20 days), two wins on KBS's Music Bank, a 3-week chart-topping run on SBS's Inki Gayo. The song's routine features Son in various 80s fashions, transforming her into a "retro fashionista".
Return to Korea
After training in the United States after "Cry Eye", Son Dam Bi returned to Korea and released a mini album, Mini Album Vol.1, with a focus on electronica (departing from her previous style of crunk pop) on April 29, 2008. The lead title was "Bad Boy", produced by Brave Brothers. Also, Kahi (former leader of After School and Pledis labelmate) was her dance teacher, and was featured in the Bad Boy music video.
In September 2008, she returned with the single "미쳤어" ("Crazy"). The song featured a "chair dance" that has become popular with the Korean public; it has since been upgraded to a "sofa dance". The dance has been copied and parodied by many people, including Hyun Young, Infinity Challenge comedy team member No Hongchul, comedienne Shin Bong-sun, and Lee Soo Young.
2011–present: "Lights and Shadows" and "Dripping Tears" comeback
Starting in 2011, Son Dam Bi starred in a drama called Lights and Shadows. It was first broadcast on November 28, 2011. She finished filming in June 2012 with the drama concluding on July 3, 2012. She also released an OST for the drama called "Everything" on January 10, 2012.
It was confirmed by Pledis Entertainment that Son Dam Bi would make a comeback in Korea sometime in the summer. Eventually, a representative from Pledis stated that Dam Bi was finished recording her album and was in the midst of shooting photos for the album jacket. It was eventually confirmed that Son Dam Bi's new comeback album would be released sometime in early August. However, Pledis then stated that they would push Dam Bi's comeback even further into the year. It was then confirmed that Son Dam Bi will be coming back with the fourth mini album and it was released on November 12, 2012. The title track, "Dripping Tears," is produced by Brave Brothers. The fourth mini album titled "Dripping Tears," same with the title track and it contained 6 songs, included a 'G. Remix version' of "Dripping Tears." The music video of "Dripping Tears" released a day after the album. She had her first comeback in almost 2 years on November 15 on 'M Countdown.'
|Album #||Album Information||Track Listing|
|1st||First Mini Album
|2nd||Second Mini Album
|3rd||First Full Length Album
|4th||Third Mini Album
|5th||Fourth Mini Album
- September 2008 to February 2009: We Got Married - MBC
- 2009: Family Outing Season 1 - SBS (Ep 46-47)
- 2010: Running Man - SBS (Ep 6 guest)
- 2011: Kim Yuna's Kiss and Cry - SBS
- 2011-12 Lights and Shadows
Awards and nominations
|2009||Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang||Won|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Body Female||Nominated|
|Hot Style Icon||Nominated|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Female Singer Award||Nominated|
|House & Electronic Music Award||Nominated|
|Golden Disk Awards||Digital Bonsang||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||Won|
|2010||Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang||Won|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Female Singer Award||Nominated|
|2011||Chinese TOP Awards Concert||Foreign artist with the Best Stage Presence||Won|
|Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang||Won|
|Asia Model Awards||BBF Popular Singer Award||Won|
|2012||20th Korea Cultural Entertainment Awards||Best Rookie Award (Light and Shadow)||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Female Excellence (Special Production)||Won|
|2013||Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang||Nominated|
Music Show Awards
|2009||April 16||Saturday Night|
|2009||April 10||Saturday Night|
|2009||April 19||Saturday Night|
- "손담비, "올해 목표? 무릎팍 도사 출연!"". No Cut News (in Korean). 2007-06-30. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Son Dambi Proves She Is The Female Rain". jpopasia. 2008-06-16. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- 손담비 주연 영화 '하이프네이션' 총괄 프로듀서 영 리, "한국이 대세"(Son Dam Bi's Film Hype Nation Summary: Producer Young Rhee, "Korea is Influential"). Asia Nation. February 6, 2009. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- (Korean) Park, Jae-deok. 손담비 측 "드라마 주연? 물망에 오른 것 뿐" (Son Dam Bi Side "Drama Project? Just Prospective Possibilities"). JoyNews. May 8, 2009. Retrieved May 8, 2009.
- (Korean) Jeong, Kyeong-hui. 손담비, 앨범 출시 20여일만에 각종 차트 석권 (Son Dam Bi, Tops Various Charts Within 20 Days). SportsChosun.com. April 23, 2009. Retrieved May 8, 2009.
- (Korean) Ko, Jae-wan. 손담비 '토요일밤에', 3주 연속 '뮤티즌송' (Son Dam Bi "On Saturday Night", "Mutizen Song" 3 Weeks in a Row). Asia Economy. May 3, 2009. Retrieved May 8, 2009.
- (Korean) Song, Yun-se. 손담비, 80년대 복고풍 패셔니스타 눈길 (Son Dam Bi, 80s Retro Fashionista Look). Joins.com/Newsen. April 16, 2009. Retrieved May 8, 2009.
- 손담비 "의자춤 인기 모으는 것 기분 좋아" Son Dam Bi: "Chair Dance's Popularity Pleases Me" . Hankyung.com. December 11, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2008.
- "현담비` 현영, 손담비 `미쳤어` 섹시팝핀 완벽 소화 ("Hyun Dam Bi" Hyun Young, displays Son Dam Bi's "Crazy" Sexy Popping)" (in Korean). Newsen/Joongang Daily. 2008-12-08. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
- Yoon, Hyun-jin. 손담비 ‘의자춤’ 열풍 왜? “모두 미쳤어~내게 미쳤어~” (Son Dam Bi's "Chair Dance" is Hot, but Why? "Everyone's Crazy, I'm Crazy"). Newsen/Joongang Daily. December 8, 2008. Retrieved December 12, 2008.
- (English) Kim, In-koo. Rocky Road for Solo Artist. JoongAng Daily. August 19, 2010. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Son Dam Bi.|
- Official website (Korean)
- Son Dam Bi on Twitter (Korean)
- Son Dam Bi Cyworld (Korean)
- Pledis Entertainment (Korean)