Son Doong cave
|Son Doong Cave|
|Hang Sơn Đòng (Mountain River Cave)|
|Location||Quảng Bình Province, Vietnam|
|Depth||Max 150m / 490ft|
|Length||Approx 9,000m / 30,000ft|
|Discovery||1991 [AD] by Hồ-Khanh|
|Cave survey||2009 British/Vietnamese|
Sơn Đoòng cave (hang Sơn Đoòng, "Mountain River cave" in Vietnamese) is a cave in Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park, Bố Trạch district, Quảng Bình Province, Vietnam. Currently the biggest cave in the world,  the cave is located near the Laos-Vietnam border (17°27'25.88"N 106°17'15.36"E). It has a large fast-flowing underground river inside.
Sơn Đoòng Cave was found by a local man named Hồ-Khanh in 1991. The local jungle men were afraid of the cave for the whistling sound it makes from the underground river. It was not until 2009 that it became public after a group of British scientists from the British Cave Research Association, led by Howard and Deb Limbert, conducted a survey in Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng from April 10 through April 14, 2009. Their progress was stopped by a large calcite wall.
According to the Limberts, this cave is five times larger than the Phong Nha cave, previously considered the biggest cave in Vietnam. The biggest chamber of Sơn Đoòng is more than five kilometers long, 200 meters high, and 150 meters wide. With these dimensions, Sơn Đoòng overtakes Deer Cave in Malaysia to take the title of the world's largest cave.
See also 
- Dykes, Brett Michael (January 03 2011). "Explorers discover spectacular caves in Vietnam". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 2011-01-06.
- "World's Biggest Cave Found in Vietnam". National Geographic. July 9, 2009.
- "World's largest grotto unveiled in Vietnam".
- "Britons claim to find world's largest cave". The Daily Telegraph. 30 April 2009.
- "www.SonDoongcave.org".: Overview, Cave Map, Photos & gallery, Videos, exploring tour, how to get, travel guide, latest news about Hang Sơn Đoòng
- "Vietnam's Mammoth Cavern". Retrieved 2010-12-21. National Geographic pictorial of Hang Sơn Đoòng
- "www.SonDoong-cave.com - Son Doong Cave Vietnam".: Overview, Video, Photos & articles, trekking tour, suggestions and the latest news about Hang Sơn Đoòng from a local travel expert.