Sơn Đoòng Cave
|Sơn Đoòng Cave|
|Hang Sơn Đòng (Mountain River Cave)|
|Location||Quảng Bình Province, Vietnam|
|Depth||Max 150m / 490ft|
|Length||Approx 9,000m / 30,000ft|
|Discovery||1991 [AD] by Hồ-Khanh|
|Cave survey||2009 British/Vietnamese|
Sơn Đoòng cave (hang Sơn Đoòng, "Mountain River cave" in Vietnamese) is a cave in Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park, Bố Trạch District, Quảng Bình Province, Vietnam. Currently the biggest known cave in the world, the cave is located near the Laos–Vietnam border (17°27'25.88"N 106°17'15.36"E). Inside is a large, fast-flowing underground river.
Sơn Đoòng Cave was found by a local man named Hồ-Khanh in 1991. The local men were afraid of the cave for the whistling sound caused by an underground river. It was not until 2009 that it became public knowledge after a group of scientists from the British Cave Research Association, led by Howard and Deb Limbert, conducted a survey in Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng from 10 to 14 April, 2009. Their progress was stopped by a large calcite wall.
According to the Limberts the cave is five times larger than the Phong Nha Cave, previously considered the biggest cave in Vietnam. The biggest chamber of Sơn Đoòng is more than five kilometres long, 200 metres high and 150 metres wide. With these dimensions, Sơn Đoòng overtakes Deer Cave in Malaysia to take the title of the world's largest cave.
In early August 2013, the first tourist group explored the cave on a guided tour at a cost of US$3,000 each. The group had six members from Australia, Norway, Russia, USA and the UK and spent 7 days and 6 nights for the tour. Future exploration trips will be arranged.
- Dykes, Brett Michael (January 3, 2011). "Explorers discover spectacular caves in Vietnam". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 2011-01-06.
- "World's Biggest Cave Found in Vietnam". National Geographic. July 9, 2009.
- "World's largest grotto unveiled in Vietnam".
- "Britons claim to find world's largest cave". The Daily Telegraph. 30 April 2009.
- In Vietnam, World's Largest Cave Passage - Pictures, More From National Geographic magazine
- Son Doong Cave: The world's largest cave is open for tours in Vietnam | Mail Online
- "First foreign tourist group explores Son Doong Cave". Saigon-gpdaily. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Vinh danh 6 du khách đầu tiên chinh phục hang Sơn Đoòng (certificates awarded to the first tourists who have explored Son Doong Cave)". Dan Tri. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "www.SonDoongcave.org".: Overview, cave map, photos & gallery, videos, exploring tour, how to get, travel guide, latest news about Hang Sơn Đoòng
- "Vietnam's Mammoth Cavern". Retrieved 2010-12-21. National Geographic pictorial of Hang Sơn Đoòng
- Strutner, Suzy (September 7, 2013). "World's Largest Cave, Son Doong, Prepping For First Public Tours" (includes video). The Huffington Post. Retrieved September 11, 2013.