Son Ye-jin in July 2014
January 11, 1982
Daegu, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Son Ye-jin|
|Revised Romanization||Son Eon-jin|
Son Ye-jin (born Son Eon-jin on January 11, 1982) is a South Korean actress. She rose to fame in romance-themed films and television series such as The Classic (2003), Summer Scent (2003), A Moment to Remember (2004), and April Snow (2005), but has won acting recognition for her versatility in diverse genres, notably in Alone in Love (2006) and My Wife Got Married (2008).
Son Ye-jin has taken on a variety of roles in her career to date, propelling her to fame both in Korea and in other Asian countries. She first appeared in a supporting role in Park Ki-hyung's film Secret Tears in 2000, and then went on to take the lead in TV dramas such as Delicious Proposal, Sun-hee and Jin-hee, and Great Ambition. Her first high-profile role in cinema was in Im Kwon-taek's Chi-hwa-seon, which screened at Cannes and took home a Best Director award in 2002.
The biggest success of her early career was in the subsequent films Lovers' Concerto and The Classic. Both were solid mid-level hits in Korea, and The Classic in particular — being a work of My Sassy Girl director Kwak Jae-yong — received wide exposure in countries such as Hong Kong and China.
Son further solidified her status as a "hallyu" (Korean wave) star in 2003 by taking the lead in TV drama Summer Scent, a part of the hugely successful series of TV dramas including Autumn in My Heart and Winter Sonata (though this drama would not attract the attention of the previous two). Her next two films also proved to be huge hits in Asia: A Moment to Remember, based on a famous Japanese series, set box office records in Japan and sold over two million tickets in Korea, while April Snow in which she co-starred with superstar Bae Yong-joon was also a smash hit in Japan and China (though not, incidentally, in Korea).
Son then cast off her nice girl image in her next projects. She took on the roles of a con artist in The Art of Seduction, an ambitious reporter in Spotlight, a femme fatale in Open City, and a divorcée in the critically acclaimed series Alone in Love. In 2008, her portrayal of a polyandrous woman in My Wife Got Married bagged her Best Actress honors from the prestigious Blue Dragon Film Awards and other local award-giving bodies.
After filming the dark mystery White Night, Son wanted to do a more fun project, so she chose the romantic comedy series Personal Taste, followed by the horror-romantic comedy film Spellbound.
In 2012, Son starred in her first blockbuster The Tower, a remake of the 1974 Hollywood disaster film The Towering Inferno. She returned to television in 2013 in the revenge drama Shark (also known as Don't Look Back: The Legend of Orpheus), then headlined Blood and Ties, a thriller about a daughter who suspects that her father was involved in a kidnap-murder case.
Son reunited with Shark costar Kim Nam-gil in the 2014 period adventure film The Pirates. Another upcoming onscreen reunion will be with My Wife Got Married costar Kim Joo-hyuk in House Filled with Happiness, a 2015 political thriller.
|Lover's Concerto||Shim Soo-in/Gyung-hee|
|Crazy First Love||Ju Il-mae|
|2004||A Moment to Remember||Su-jin|
|The Art of Seduction||Han Ji-won|
|2007||Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox||Yobi (voice)|
|2008||Open City||Baek Jang-mi|
|My Wife Got Married||Joo In-ah|
|2009||White Night||Yoo Mi-ho/Lee Ji-ah|
|2012||The Tower||Seo Yoon-hee|
|2013||Blood and Ties||Jung Da-eun|
|2015||House Filled with Happiness||Yeon-hong|
|2001||Delicious Proposal||Jang Hee-ae||MBC|
|Sun-hee and Jin-hee||Shim Sun-hee||MBC|
|2002||Great Ambition||Choi Dong-hee||SBS|
|2003||Summer Scent||Shim Hye-won||KBS2|
|2006||Alone in Love||Yoo Eun-ho||SBS|
|2010||Personal Taste||Park Kae-in||MBC|
|2011||Secret Garden||Herself (cameo, episode 20)||SBS|
Awards and nominations
|2001||MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actress||Delicious Proposal,
Sun-hee and Jin-hee
|2002||22nd Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best New Actress||Lovers' Concerto||Won|
|2003||39th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||The Classic||Won|
|40th Grand Bell Awards||Best New Actress||Won|
|24th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Popular Star Award||Won|
|2004||9th Moscow International Love Film Festival||Best Couple with Jo Seung-woo||Won|
|2005||26th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||April Snow||Nominated|
|2006||15th China Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Film Festival||Best Actress in a Foreign Film||A Moment to Remember||Won|
|51st Asia Pacific Film Festival||Best Actress||April Snow||Won|
|4th Korea International Jewelry & Watch Fair||Best Jewelry Lady||N/A||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars||Alone in Love||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Won|
|2007||2nd Asia Model Festival Awards||Model Star Award||N/A||Won|
|43rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Alone in Love||Won|
|Korea Fashion & Design Awards||Fashion Icon Award||N/A||Won|
|2008||1st Style Icon Awards||Style Icon - Actress||N/A||Won|
|Fun Fearless Female||N/A||Won|
|1st Korea Jewelry Awards||Diamond Award||N/A||Won|
|25th Korea Best Dresser Awards||Best Dressed - Female Movie Star||N/A||Won|
|29th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Couple with Kim Joo-hyuk||My Wife Got Married||Won|
|Popular Star Award||Won|
|4th University Film Festival of Korea||Best Actress||Won|
|7th Korean Film Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2009||45th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|2010||1st Seoul Arts & Culture Awards||Grand Prize, Film Actor category||White Night||Won|
|46th Baeksang Arts Awards||InStyle Award||N/A||Won|
|5th Asia-Pacific Producer's Network (APN) Awards||Award for Figure in Asian Film||N/A||Won|
|31st Blue Dragon Film Awards||Popular Star Award||White Night||Won|
|2012||48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress||Spellbound||Nominated|
|2013||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Shark||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|2014||18th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival||Producer's Choice Award||N/A||Won|
- "10LINE: Actress Son Ye-jin". 10Asia. May 14, 2010.
- "Actors and Actresses of Korean Cinema: Son Ye-jin". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "A Moment To Remember opens at #1 in Japan". Korean Film Council. October 25, 2005.
- "A Moment to Remember breaks Japanese record". Korean Film Council. December 14, 2005.
- "Son Ye-jin to Star Alongside Bae Yong-joon in New Film". Korean Film Council. Retrieved December 24, 2004.
- "Films Starring Sohn Ye-jin Attract 10 Mil. Viewers in Korea, Japan". KBS Global. December 28, 2005.
- "Spotlight Shows Lives of Reporters". The Korea Times. May 13, 2008.
- "Spotlight (writer Lee Ki-won, director Kim Do-hoon) premiered on May 14, 2008". MBC Global Media. July 2, 2008.
- "SON Ye-jin as a Criminal Kingpin". Korean Film Council. July 26, 2007.
- "SON Ye-jin and KIM Myeong-min tangle in Open City". Korean Film Council. January 14, 2008.
- "Alone in Love Review". Twitch Film. September 1, 2006.
- "Actress Son Ye-jin's Movie Picks". 10Asia. December 23, 2011.
- "SON Ye-jin puts a new spin on marriage". Korean Film Council. February 11, 2008.
- "Son Ye-jin: Envious of an independent life leading two men". Cine21 via Hancinema. May 15, 2008.
- "Sports Movie Wins Best Award". The Korea Times. December 21, 2008.
- "Son Ye-jin, Ko Soo to Bring Mystery Romance". The Korea Times. October 21, 2009.
- "Son Ye-jin: 'Ordinary Sinister Roles Lack Charm'". KBS Global. November 16, 2009.
- "Top Actresses Heading Toward Small Screen". The Korea Times. February 8, 2010.
- "Son Ye-jin says relieved Lee Min-ho "not young-looking" (1)". 10Asia. March 26, 2010.
- "Son Ye-jin says relieved Lee Min-ho "not young-looking" (2)". 10Asia. March 26, 2010.
- "On the set of MBC TV series Personal Taste". 10Asia. April 16, 2010.
- "Personal Taste will gain flavor, says Son Ye-jin - Part 1". 10Asia. April 16, 2010.
- "Personal Taste will gain flavor, says Son Ye-jin - Part 2". 10Asia. April 16, 2010.
- "Son Ye Jin Returns to the Big Screen With Rom Com". enewsWorld. October 24, 2011.
- "Sohn Ye Jin: 'I Do Not Like Similar Appearance'". KBS Global. November 28, 2011.
- "Son Ye-jin Eyeing Melodrama After Chilling Romance". The Chosun Ilbo. December 1, 2011.
- "Son Ye-jin casts her spell over new romantic comedy". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 2, 2011.
- "Sweet-faced at 30". The Straits Times. May 9, 2012.
- "Queen of romance returns in disaster flick". The Korea Herald. December 17, 2012.
- "Interview: Son Ye Jin Says She Loves Her 30s". enewsWorld. December 23, 2012.
- "Son Ye-jin a pillar of support in The Tower". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 27, 2012.
- "THE TOWER's SOL Kyung-gu & SON Ye-jin: Actors' Experience from the Desperate Survival Drama". Korean Film Council. December 21, 2012.
- "Son Ye-jin returns to the small screen". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 27, 2013.
- "Kim Nam-gil back to being bad". The Korea Herald. May 22, 2013.
- "Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin Returning with Hot Romance and Cold Revenge". 10Asia. May 23, 2013.
- "'Emotional, skirmishing scenes exhausted us': Accomplice actors". The Korea Herald. September 27, 2013.
- "Period Adventure Film PIRATES Set Sail". Korean Film Council. August 5, 2013.
- "Pirate's life for Son Ye-jin". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 5, 2014.
- "Son Ye-jin Jumps into Action in Pirate-Themed Film". The Chosun Ilbo. August 9, 2014.
- "Son Ye-jin to lead in political thriller". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 19, 2014.
- "Film festival kicks off in Bucheon". Korea.net. July 18, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Son Ye-jin.|