Sona Mehring is an American businesswoman and the founder and CEO of the nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization CaringBridge. She created the first CaringBridge website in 1997. Based upon the idea of keeping friends and family informed when someone is facing any health issues, Mehring's vision was to create a free service that would not only ease the stress of communication, but also provide a means for people to express encouragement and support to ones they love. Each website includes pictures and journal updates, as well as an online guestbook allowing all parties to stay informed without placing extra demands on hospital staff.
Before CaringBridge, Mehring was president of Beacon Point Technologies for 14 years. Prior to that she was technology director at PlanAnalytics, Inc. and an independent consultant for GMAC ResCap. She has also served as a software engineer at Apertus Technologies Inc., Unisys, Diamond Computer Solutions, and General Dynamics. An early adopter of Internet technologies, Mehring has been actively involved in the development of several widely used software applications.
Awards and recognition
Throughout her career, Mehring has received several honors and awards. She was named one of 2011’s “Most Influential Women in Technology” by Fast Company. In 2010, she was named in the Twin Cities Business Magazine's list of 200 Minnesotans You Should Know 2010 Twin Cities Business Superstars. In 2009, she was named one of 25 Women Industry Leaders in the Twin Cities by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. In 2008, she received a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition in recognition of outstanding and invaluable service to the community. In 2006, she was recognized and highlighted by MSN as one of the nation's leading Women Working for Change  and was a participant at Fortune Magazine's Most Powerful Women Summit. She is a 2006 recipient of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Alumni Excellence Award. She was a finalist for the Minnesota High Tech Association's TEKNE award in 2004, an honoree at Medica’s 2004 Speaking of Women's Health Conference, and a 2004 nominee for the Volvo for Life Award.
Mehring is a member of Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Health Care Industry Foundation, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits, National Health Council and the National Health Marketing Leadership Roundtable.
- The Grindstone "Executive Suite: CaringBridge’s Sona Mehring On Being The One Woman In The Room"
- Mississippi Medical News "Sona Mehring Connects Mississippians to Patients Enduring Serious Health Crises"
- ThirdAge.com "Women Who Inspire: Sona Mehring, Creator of CaringBridge"
- Womenetics "Collision of Technology and Health Creates CaringBridge"
- Fast Company "Most Influential Women in Technology"
- Twin Cities Business "CaringBridge Comes of Age in an Age of Social Media"
- TECHdotMN "Meet Minnesota’s Radical Tech CEO #3: Sona Mehring"
- Twin Cities Business "Health Care Heroes 2010"
- Crazy Sexy Life "Harnessing the Internet for Hope and Support"
- Today show
- ABC news
- About CaringBridge
- CaringBridge History
- LinkedIn Profile
- Business Journal names Women in Business award winners
- CaringBridge Leadership
- ePatient Speakers' Biographies
- Service-learning awards honor program partners
- 2010 Speaker Biographies
- Minnesota Volvo for Life Awards' Nominees Provide Tips for Volunteering
- Sona Mehring's Biography