|Traded as||Euronext: SON|
|Industry||Retail (food and non-food products), Shopping Centers, Telecommunications, Retail properties and investment management|
|Key people||Paulo de Azevedo (CEO), Belmiro de Azevedo (Chairman)|
|Products||Grocery stores; hypermarkets; pharmacies; foodservice outlets; bookshops; apparel, consumer electronics and white goods retail; shopping centre and real estate management; financial investments; telecommunications|
|Revenue||€5.718 billion (2011)|
|Operating income||€661 million (2011)|
|Profit||€178 million (2011)|
|Total assets||€7.552 billion (end 2010)|
|Total equity||€1.862 billion (end 2010)|
|Employees||43,270 (end 2010)|
|Subsidiaries||Sonae MC, Sonae RP, Sonae Sierra (50%), Sonaecom (89.9%)|
Sonae (Sonae SGPS, S.A.) ( listen (help·info)) is a Portuguese retail company (Sonae MC and Sonae SR) with two big partnerships in the shopping centers areas (Sonae Sierra) and the Software and Information Systems, Media and Telecommunications (Sonaecom). Sonae has around 40.000 employees  and is present in more than 60 countries. It is listed in Euronext PSI-20, in Lisbon, under SON code.
Sonae was founded in 1959, in Maia, Portugal in the engineered wood business and more specifically the production of high-pressure decorative laminates, by the businessman, banker and patron from Arouca, Afonso Pinto de Magalhães.
During its first two decades of existence, Sonae stayed as a small to medium-size business, focused on the wood derivatives market.
Afonso Pinto de Magalhães, also the founder of Banco Pinto Magalhães, left Fábio Lemos in control of Sonae during the tumultous years after the Carnation Revolution. At some stage during that period, the company was even nationalized, and then, privatized again.
In 1982, Afonso Pinto de Magalhães gave 16% of Sonae to Belmiro de Azevedo and, after his death, Belmiro de Azevedo achieved the majority of capital, gaining control over the company. During the 1980s, the company began a period of rapid growth, which coincided with Portugal's entry in the European Economic Community (before it has changed into the European Union). Also during the 80's that Sonae began its fast growth and, in 1985, Sonae Investementos SGPS, S.A was created and entered the Lisbon Stockmarket. Furthermore, Sonae began its strategy to diversify its business, through the acquisition and creation of new enterprises: the opening of the first hypermarket in Portugal (Continente), the inauguration of Porto Sheraton Hotel (now, Porto Palácio Hotel), the purchase of Star (a travel company) and the opening of the two first shopping centers (in Portimão and Albufeira).
Hand in hand with these new business ventures, that also included the expansion to the ICT, Entertainment, ant Tourism areas, came the territorial enlargement, creating a presence that is now global in many areas.
From 2009, Sonae (Sonae SGPS, S.A.) holds a portfolio of businesses grouped into different business areas, where its subholdings are included:
- Sonae MC - Portuguese leader in the area of food retail, with a set of different formats: Continente (hypermarkets), Continente Modelo (supermarkets), Continente Bom Dia (convinience stores), Continente Ice (specialized in deep frozen food), Meu Super (franchising format of close-by stores), Bom Bocado (restaurant services), Book.it (bookshop) and Well's (drugstores).
- Sonae SR - Responsible for Sonae's non-food related retail area, particularly sports, clothing and electronics, through the brands SportZone (sports), MO (textile), Zippy (Kids clothing and accessories), Worten (household appliances, consumer electronics and entertainment), Worten Mobile (mobile telecommunications), Pets&Plants (garden supplies and articles for pets).
- Sonae Sierra - International specialist in shopping centers. Founded in Portugal in 1989, it is owned by Sonae in 50% of the shares. The remaining 50% are owned by Grosvenor (United Kingdom)
- Sonaecom - Partnership in the areas of telecommunications, software, information systems and media, which develops an active role in the integrated management of the business units. The universe of companies that are connected to this area is formed by: NOS (telecommunications), Biztech (commercialization of multi-brand IT solutions), WeDo Technologies (supplier of software solutions) and Saphety (simplified solutions and processes automation). In the media area, Sonaecom also owns Público, a reference daily newspaper.
- Sonae RP - Created in 2009, Sonae Retail Properties is focused on the management and development of its real estate assets as a way to provide support to its retail business growth goals.
- Investment Management - Business branch responsible for Sonae's mergers and acquisitions. Part of this area are businesses like MDS, Cooper Gay and Herco (in the Insurance sector), Geostar (a travel agency that is a joint-venture with the RAR group) and Maxmat (bricolage in a joint-venture with CRH).
- Sonae Turismo: Business developer in the Resorts, Hotel and Fitness areas.
- Energy: Management of the co-generation centrals and photovoltaic parks.
- Spred SGPS: Promotions of refrigeration, AVAC and maintenance management and financial participation.
In 2012, Sonae invested more than 70 million Euros in research in the retail sector, in a programme that involved around 3,200 employees. In 2014, Sonae compiled a book with more than 80 innovations developed during 2013, in areas like Health or Technology, many of them with national and international prizes.
In 2013, Sonae gave back to the community 10.6 million Euros of which 5 million were in foodstuffs donations, impacting more than 2,000 institutions. The main intervention areas are: Environmental Awarness, Culture, Education, Health and Sports, Science and Innovation (R&D) and Social Solidarity.
Sonae has received awards and distinctions in a number of areas, having been recognized as one of the Most Ethical Companies in the world, as Human Capital Master and with the ICSC Solal Marketing Awards.
Sonae's Shopping Centers
8.ª Avenida | AlbufeiraShopping | AlgarveShopping | Arrabidashopping | Cascaishopping | CC Continente de Portimão | Centro Colombo | Centro Vasco da Gama | CoimbraShopping | Gaiashopping | Estação Viana Shopping | GaiaShopping | Guimarães Shopping | LeiriaShopping | LoureShopping | Madeira Shopping | MaiaShopping | Norteshopping | Parque Atlântico | RioSul Shopping | Serra Shopping | Via Catarina
Boavista Shopping | Boulevard Londrina Shopping | Franca Shopping | Manauara Shopping | Parque D. Pedro | Passeio das Águas Shopping | Shopping Campo Limpo | Shopping Metrópole | Shopping Plaza Sul | Uberlândia Shopping
Freccia Rossa | Gli Orsi | Le Terrazze
Alexa | Hofgarten Solingen | Loop5
River Plaza Mall
- "Annual Report 2011". Sonae.
- Sonae surpasses 40,000 employees, Jornal de Negócios, published on August 26, 2010 (Portuguese)
- Euronext PSI-20 Index, Diário Económico, consulted on July 7, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae's History, Official Website, consulted on July 18, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae Sierra invests on the first Shopping in Morocco, Diário Económico, published on May 20, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Paulo Azevedo: "We will be big and international", Jornal Económico, published on March 21, 2011 (Portuguese)
- Sonae Business Areas - Official Website, consulted on July 7, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae Brands - Official Website consulted on June 14, 2014 (Portuguese)
- ZON/Optimus Merger, Jornal de Negócios, consulted on July 12, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae Turismo Presentation, Official Website, consulted on June 16, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae invests more than 70 million Euros in research, Jornal de Negócios, published on May 20, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae gives 10.6 million to the community, Diário de Viseu, published on March 17, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sustainability Approach, Official Website, consulted on July 16, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Sonae is one of the “World Most Ethical Companies”, Jornal de Negócios, published on March 12, 2013 (Portuguese)
- SONAE SR wins Human Capital Master, Universia, published on March 27, 2014 (Portuguese)
- Promofans wins International Recognition, Marketeer Online, published on May 19, 2014 (Portuguese)