5 October 1976 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Hankyong National University
(B.A. Multimedia Arts)
|Revised Romanization||Song Seung-heon|
After beginning his career in 1995 as a model for the jeans brand STORM, Song Seung-heon first became known to viewers in the popular sitcom Three Guys, Three Girls in 1996. The following year he started his extremely successful career in TV dramas, which made him well known throughout Korea. His feature film debut came in 1999 in the film Calla together with star Kim Hee-sun.
True stardom only came to Song in late 2000, however, with the broadcast of the hugely popular TV drama Autumn in My Heart. The series was exported all over Asia, making pan-Asian and Korean wave stars of both him and co-stars Song Hye-kyo and Won Bin. Since then he has been actively recruited for film roles and advertisements in Japan, Hong Kong and other Asian countries.
In 2002, Song starred in the comic-action film Make It Big by director Jo Ui-seok, and also in the Hong Kong film So Close with Hong Kong actresses Karen Mok, Shu Qi and Zhao Wei. He also starred in Summer Scent with Son Ye-jin, the third "season-themed" Yoon Seok-ho TV drama after Autumn in My Heart and Winter Sonata, which was not as popular as the ones that preceded it.
In 2004 Song appeared in two films, but neither was judged to be a success: Ice Rain, shot in the Canadian Rockies, failed to enthuse viewers with its mixture of mountaineering and melodrama, while He Was Cool, based on an internet novel by Guiyeoni, proved unable to compete with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and other films from the 2004 summer season.
Meanwhile in late 2004, just as he was getting ready to start shooting another high profile TV drama Sad Love Story, it was revealed that the actor had illegally avoided his compulsory military service by submitting tainted urine samples that suggested he was suffering from certain illnesses and was thus unfit for the army. Amidst the press coverage and scandal this aroused, Song agreed to immediately serve his two-year term in the military. Song was discharged on November 15, 2006 with the rank of Corporal, to much fanfare and media attention. For a time he kept a low profile, trying to gauge public opinion on his return to the entertainment world.
In 2011 Song returned to television in My Princess opposite Kim Tae-hee, his first romantic comedy. He considers the series a turning point in his career, saying, "Previously, I took on characters living a life full of ups and downs. For me, Hae-young was the first character that was so rich, bright and cheerful. I felt much lighter while acting the character."
Based on the original comic by Motoka Murakami and previously dramatized in Japan, in 2012's Dr. Jin Song played the titular smart and cold-hearted surgeon who takes a journey back through time to the late 19th century Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). He then played a cold-hearted loan shark and gangster who morphs into a successful businessman for his love in 2013 melodrama When a Man Falls in Love.
Song took lessons in martial arts and horseback riding for The Messenger, an upcoming film in which he plays a Goryeo-era man who must relay a message that will shape the course of history. Also in 2013, he sang a song with a few other k-pop artist and actors in Lotte Duty Free.
|1996||Three Guys and Three Girls||Seong-heon||MBC|
|You and I||Park Min-kyu||MBC|
|1999||Happy Together||Seo Ji-suk||SBS|
|Love Story: "Message"||SBS|
|Autumn in My Heart||Yoon Joon-seo||KBS2|
|2001||Law Firm||Jung Young-woong||SBS|
|2003||Summer Scent||Yoo Min-woo||KBS2|
|2008||East of Eden||Lee Dong-chul||MBC|
|2011||My Princess||Park Hae-young||MBC|
|2012||Dr. Jin||Jin Hyuk||MBC|
|2013||When a Man Falls in Love||Han Tae-sang||MBC|
|2002||Make It Big||Seong-hwan|
|2003||Ice Rain||Han Woo-sung|
|2004||He Was Cool||Ji Eun-sung|
|2010||A Better Tomorrow||Lee Young-choon|
|Ghost: In Your Arms Again||Kim Jun-ho|
|2012||Lucid Dreaming (short film)|
|2001||Once Upon a Day||Kim Bum-soo||Song Hye-kyo, Ji Jin-hee|
|2008||Sad Love Story||Yoon Gun||Kim Hee-sun, Kwon Sang-woo|
|I Miss You||SG Wannabe||Park Yong-ha, Lee Yeon-hee, Ha Seok-jin|
|Song Seung-heon Vol. 1
|십년이 지나도 (Even After Ten Years)
그대를... (For You...)
|마지막 사랑 (Last Love)|
|1997||KMTV||Best New Actor Award|
|South Korea Internet Broadcasting Entertaiment Award||Entertaiment Award|
|1998||3th Baeksang Arts Awards||Popularity Award, TV Drama Category||You and I|
|1999||SBS Drama Awards||Popularity Award||Happy Together|
|Top 10 Stars Award|
|2000||KBS Drama Awards||Popularity Award||Autumn in My Heart|
|2001||SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars Award||Law Firm|
|2008||MBC Drama Awards||Grand Prize/Daesang Award||East of Eden|
|Best Couple Award with Lee Yeon-hee|
|2009||4th Andre Kim Best Star Awards||Male Star Award|
|17th Annual South Korea Culture and Entertainment Arts Awards||Grand Prize/Daesang Award, TV Drama Category||East of Eden|
|2010||Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
Content Industry Awards
|Distinguished Hallyu Entertainer Award of Merit
(co-winner with Girls' Generation)
|44th Taxpayer's Day Award||Taxpayer Award|
|2012||9th China Cosmopolitan Beauty Awards||Asia's Most Charming Artist Award |
- Paquet, Darcy. "Actors and Actresses of Korean Cinema: Song Seung-hun". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Han, Jae-hyun (2004-09-19). "More Actors Come Forward on Draft Dodging". The Chosun Ilbo.
- Lee, Brian (2004-09-20). "TV stars confess to dodging draft". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Jang, Il-hyun (2004-10-20). "Celebrity Draft Dodgers Face Conscription in November". The Chosun Ilbo.
- "It's 'To the Barracks' for Draft-Dodging Entertainer". The Chosun Ilbo. 2004-11-04.
- "Actor Song Seung-Heon to Join Army as Scheduled". KBS Global. 2004-11-04.
- "Song Seung-heon Appointed as Artilleryman, Jang Hyuk as Rifleman". KBS Global. 2004-12-17.
- "Heartthrob's Fan-Meet Spells Airline Emergency". The Chosun Ilbo. 2006-09-08.
- "Fuji TV Producing Special on Korean Wave Star". The Chosun Ilbo. 2006-10-20.
- "Asian Press Gears up for Star's Release from Army". The Chosun Ilbo. 2006-11-14.
- "Yellow Ribbons Time for Song Seung-hun". The Chosun Ilbo. 2006-11-16.
- Lee, Brian (2007-06-04). "Korean draft dodgers sing the G.I. blues". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "No Longer Just a Pretty Face: Song Seung-hun". The Chosun Ilbo. 2008-09-05.
- "A Whole New Destiny for Song Seung-hun". The Chosun Ilbo. 2008-03-24.
- Lee, Ji-hye (2010-09-09). "Song Seung-heon Invincible will be "lucky to break even"". 10Asia.
- Kang, Geyong-rok (2010-09-02). "Song Seung-heon says wants to dine with Girls' Generation and Kara". 10Asia.
- "Song Seung-hun to Star in Remake of Ghost". The Chosun Ilbo. 2010-05-15.
- Hong, Lucia (2010-11-24). "Song Seung-hun says goal is not to outdo original Ghost". 10Asia.
- "Song Seung-hun Draws Japanese Moviegoers with Ghost Remake". The Chosun Ilbo. 2010-11-19.
- Hong, Lucia (2011-01-04). "Song Seung-heon says My Princess character is most cheerful since 90s sitcom". 10Asia.
- Hong, Lucia (2010-11-30). "Song Seung-heon, Kim Tae-hee speak of shooting new drama". 10Asia.
- Lee, Ji-hye (2010-12-16). "Actor Song Seung-heon Movie Picks". 10Asia.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (2012-05-15). "Pioneering 'hallyu' actor Song returns". The Korea Times.
- Ko, Kyoung-seok (2011-10-05). "Song Seung-heon to shoot short film for Asia fans". 10Asia.
- Hong, Lucia (2012-05-03). "Song Seung-heon to introduce short film at fan meeting in Japan". 10Asia.
- Sunwoo, Carla (2012-05-04). "Song Seung-hun to present fans with a short film at the fan meet". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Oh, Jean (2012-05-28). "Song says new role is very Alice in Wonderland". The Korea Herald.
- Lee, In-kyung (2012-05-16). "Interview Part I: Why Song Seung Hun Started Communicating through Social Networks". enewsWorld.
- Lee, In-kyung (2012-05-17). "Interview Part II: Song Seung Hun Isn't Jealous of Married Couples". enewsWorld.
- Lee, Jin-ho (2012-08-11). "Interview: Song Seung Hun is Sad about the Negative Views on Korean Wave". enewsWorld.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (2013-03-27). "Song Seung Hun's Fantasy about Marriage is Dying". enewsWorld.
- Oh, Jean (2013-03-28). "Song Seung-heon sheds 'pretty boy' image". The Korea Herald.
- Han, Je-hee (2013-05-16). "Song is a remade man". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "'I put myself down for acting': Song Seung-heon". The Korea Herald. 2013-06-12.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (2013-06-16). "Song Seung Hun Says He′s Still Waiting for His One and Only". enewsWorld.
- Sunwoo, Carla (2012-10-13). "Song Seung-hun cast in action film". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Ho, Stewart (2012-10-13). "Song Seung Hun Taking Martial Arts Lessons for Movie, Messenger". enewsWorld.
- Lee, Tae-ho (2012-10-12). "Song Seung-heon Confirms Role in New Historical Film". 10Asia.
- "Stars Show Business Savvy with Successful Food, Coffee Franchises". The Chosun Ilbo. 2012-01-03.
- "Song Seung Heon to Sing for Dr. Jin OST". Soompi. 2012-07-04.
- Ho, Stewart (2012-07-04). "Song Seung Hun Will Release Track for Time Slip Dr. Jin OST". enewsWorld.
- Park, Elli (2012-07-05). "Song Seung-hun sings for Time Slip Dr. Jin OST". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Lee, Sarah (2010-01-14). "Girl's Generation and Song Seung Hun wins award". Korea.com.
- Son, Jin-ah (2012-11-02). "Song Seung Heon visits China". StarN News.
- Song Seung-heon on Me2day (Korean)
- Song Seung-heon on Twitter (Korean)
- Song Seung-heon on Sina Weibo
- Song Seung-heon on Facebook
- Song Seung-heon at Storm S Company (Korean)
- Song Seung-heon at HanCinema
- Song Seung-heon at the Korean Movie Database
- Song Seung-heon at the Internet Movie Database