"Songbird" is a song by Kenny G, and the third single from his 1986 album Duotones. It reached #3 on the U.S. Adult Contemporary charts, #4 on the U.S. Hot 100 charts and #23 on the U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs.
When released in 1987, the song became the first instrumental to reach the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 since the "Miami Vice Theme" by Jan Hammer (a No. 1 hit) in 1985.
In popular culture
- A scene in the 1989 comedy Skin Deep where John Ritter's character drunkenly attempts to reconcile with his ex-wife over the phone has the song playing in the background.
- The song was prominently featured in the 1990 romantic comedy film Pretty Woman.
- The beginning of this song was played in the 2002 comedy The Master of Disguise when Pistachio (training for his disguise as Prince Lali Jamba of the Ringidingi Heights) is taming a cobra.
- It was featured in the 2006 computer animated movie Cars (when DJ uses the song to make Mack the truck fall asleep on the road).
- In the 2005 CGI film Robots, the song can be heard in the background as Ratchet (Greg Kinnear), one of the movie's antagonists, is getting a back massage.
- More recently, the song can be heard in adverts for T-Mobile featuring Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- Fellow smooth jazz artist Craig Chaquico did a guitar cover of this song in 2009.
- In the year of the song's debut, it was used on the daytime soap operas Another World and Days of our Lives.
- During Super Bowl XLV, an Audi commercial promoting the new Audi A8 features the song at about the midpoint. Kenny G appears at the end of the commercial and plays part of the song.
- The song was featured on The Weather Channel's Local Forecast in the 1980s.
- The song was recently featured in an episode of the comedy-drama, Psych.
- On The Big Bang Theory, Raj's Apple iPhone 4S plays this song when he asks it to play some smooth jazz.
- In the novel, The Silver Linings Playbook, it is this song that caused Pat Peoples to break up with his wife Nikki, and throughout the novel, he mentions it as such.