Songjiang District (simplified Chinese: 松江区; traditional Chinese: 松江區; pinyin: Sōngjiāng Qū; Wade-Giles: Sungkiang) of Shanghai has a land area of 605.64 km² and a population of 1,582,398 as of 2010. Its main town is Songjiang, connected to Shanghai by Shanghai Metro Line 9.
It was Songjiang County until 1998.
Significant Features 
Some of the notable features in Songjiang District include:
- Songjiang New City is a major new-town development located within Songjiang District. It was developed as part of Shanghai's "One City, Nine Towns" plan. The New City will encompass an area of 60 square kilometres when completed, and will have a total population of 500,000 residents. The New City reflects Garden City design principles, with a large proportion of land allocated to green-space and parks.
- Thames Town is a residential and commercial development located within the Songjiang New City that both imitates and is influenced by classic English market town styles. Some of the architecture has been directly copied from buildings found in England.
- Songjiang University Town is a major higher education hub located in the district. It is the largest higher education hub in mainland China.
- Shanghai First People's Hospital has a campus located within the Songjiang New City.
- Shanghai Film Studios are located in Songjiang District.
Songjiang District is served by Shanghai Metro Line 9. Metro stations located within Songjiang District include Songjiang Xincheng, Songjiang University Town, Dongjing, Sheshan, Sijing, and Jiuting.
Songjiang District is located approximately 25 kilometres from Hongqiao International Airport and 70 kilometres from Pudong International Airport.
Subdistricts and towns 
Subdistricts: Yueyang Subdistrict (岳阳街道), Zhongshan Subdistrict (中山街道), Yongfeng Subdistrict (永丰街道), Fangsong Subdistrict (方松街道).
Towns: Jiuting (九亭镇), Sijing (泗泾镇), Maogang (泖港镇), Chedun (车墩镇), Dongjing (洞泾镇), Yexie (叶榭镇), Xinqiao (新桥镇), Shihudang (石湖荡镇), Xinbang (新浜镇), Sheshan (佘山镇), Xiaokunshan (小昆山镇).
See also 
Further reading 
External links 
Coordinates: 31°00′21″N 121°14′00″E / 31.00583°N 121.23333°E