|— District —|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Songjiang District (simplified Chinese: 松江区; traditional Chinese: 松江區; pinyin: Sōngjiāng Qū; Wade-Giles: Sungkiang) of Shanghai has a land area of 605.64 km² and a population of 1,582,398 as of 2010. Its main town is Songjiang, connected to Shanghai by Shanghai Metro Line 9.
It was Songjiang County until 1998.
Significant Features 
Some of the notable features in Songjiang District include:
- Songjiang New City is a major new-town development located within Songjiang District. It was developed as part of Shanghai's "One City, Nine Towns" plan. The New City will encompass an area of 60 square kilometres when completed, and will have a total population of 500,000 residents. The New City reflects Garden City design principles, with a large proportion of land allocated to green-space and parks.
- Thames Town is a residential and commercial development located within the Songjiang New City that both imitates and is influenced by classic English market town styles. Some of the architecture has been directly copied from buildings found in England.
- Songjiang University Town is a major higher education hub located in the district. It is the largest higher education hub in mainland China.
- Shanghai First People's Hospital has a campus located within the Songjiang New City.
- Shanghai Film Studios are located in Songjiang District.
Subdistricts and towns 
See also 
- Shanghai 2010 Census Data Shanghai Statistics Bureau
- Shanghai Agriculture - The construction of Shanghai's experimental city, Songjiang http://en.shac.gov.cn/hjgl/tscz/200307/t20030715_75332.htm
- "2010年松江区行政区划_松江区_行政区划网 www.xzqh.org" (in Simplified Chinese). XZQH. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
Further reading 
|Wikivoyage has travel information related to: Songjiang District|
|This Shanghai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|