Thames Town in snow, in the background is a replica bell tower from a church in Bristol.
Songjiang in Shanghai
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Songjiang District (Chinese: t 松江區, s 松江区, p Sōngjiāng Qū; Shanghainese: Son-kaon Chiu), formerly romanized as Sungkiang, is a suburb and district of Shanghai has a land area of 605.64 km2 (233.84 sq mi) and a population of 1,582,398 (2010).
Songjiang, the old town at the heart of the district, is located on the Grand Canal and was formerly the major city in the Shanghai area. It is now connected to downtown Shanghai by the subway's Line 9. The region around it was known as Songjiang County prior to 1998.
Some of the notable features in Songjiang District include:
- Songjiang New City is a major new-town development located within Songjiang District. It was developed as part of Shanghai's "One City, Nine Towns" plan. The New City will encompass an area of 60 square kilometers (23 sq mi) when completed, and will have a total population of 500,000 residents. The New City reflects Garden City design principles, with a large proportion of land allocated to green-space and parks.
- Thames Town is a residential and commercial development located within the Songjiang New City that both imitates and is influenced by classic English market town styles. Some of the architecture has been directly copied from buildings found in England.
- Songjiang University Town is a major higher education hub located in the district. It is the largest higher education hub in mainland China.
- Shanghai First People's Hospital has a campus located within the Songjiang New City.
- Shanghai Film Studios are located in Songjiang District.
Subdistricts and towns
- Shanghai 2010 Census Data Shanghai Statistics Bureau
- Shanghai Agriculture - The construction of Shanghai's experimental city, Songjiang http://en.shac.gov.cn/hjgl/tscz/200307/t20030715_75332.htm
- "2010年松江区行政区划_松江区_行政区划网 www.xzqh.org" (in Simplified Chinese). XZQH. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Songjiang District.|