Songs from the Silver Screen
|Songs from the Silver Screen|
|Studio album by Jackie Evancho|
|Released||October 2, 2012|
|Genre||Classical crossover; popular standards|
|Producer||Bill Ross, Humberto Gatica|
|Jackie Evancho chronology|
Songs from the Silver Screen is the fourth full-length album released by American singer Jackie Evancho. It was released on October 2, 2012; at the time of release, Evancho was 12 years old. The album is composed of 12 songs used in popular films, arranged by Bill Ross. The songs include a mix of ballads from Disney films, romantic and whimsical themes, and songs that were originally written as singles or show tunes. The producers are Ross and Humberto Gatica for Columbia Records and Syco.
In June 2012, Evancho made her second PBS special, Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies, for the Great Performances series, which features all but one selection from Songs from the Silver Screen. PBS stations began airing the special in August 2012. A DVD of the special was given as a pledge gift by PBS and was later bundled with the Target stores' "Deluxe Edition" of Songs of the Silver Screen. Evancho promoted the album with television appearances and a concert tour. The first leg of the tour fan from August 2012 to June 2013, and a second leg of the tour ran from October 2013 to June 2014.
The album debuted at #7 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the Classical Albums chart. The Allmusic review of Songs from the Silver Screen awards the album 3-1/2 stars out of five and states that the album "finds Evancho more than up to the task, displaying maturity and poise."
|Target exclusive performance DVD (disc 2)|
|2.||"Can You Feel the Love Tonight"|
|3.||"Some Enchanted Evening"|
|4.||"What a Wonderful World"|
|5.||"My Heart Will Go On" (with Carolin Campbell, violin)|
|6.||"The Summer Knows" (with Jumaane Smith, trumpet)|
|7.||"I See the Light" (with Jacob Evancho, tenor)|
|9.||"The Music of the Night"|
|10.||"When I Fall In Love"|
|11.||"Come What May" (with The Canadian Tenors)|
Evancho began a tour to promote the album in August 2012. On August 19, 2012 she performed her first solo concert that included songs from the album in Japan with the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. She continued the tour in the U.S., appearing first with The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia. The first leg of the tour included concerts in two dozen North American cities, ending in June 2013 in Lewiston, New York. She resumed touring in October 2013, with appearances in a dozen more cities through January 2014, and gave three additional concerts between April and June 2014.
Upon the album's release, Evancho began to appear on television talk shows to promote the album, including The Today Show (October 2, 2012), The View and Fox & Friends (October 5), The Talk (October 10), and The Today Show with Kathie Lee and Hoda (October 12). She appeared later in 2012 on CNN's Showbiz Tonight, Good Day LA and The Rachael Ray Show. In December 2013, Evancho appeared on The Queen Latifah Show.
Allmusic gave the album 3-1/2 stars out of a possible five, stating: "Evancho's effortless and expressive voice lends itself well to the project", and the album "finds Evancho more than up to the task, displaying maturity and poise." The Trades reviewer Paul Schultz wrote, "your ears stare in wide-eyed wonder (yes, I know I'm mixing metaphors) that such a rich instrument belongs to one as young as Jackie. Her upper altissimo notes are beauty themselves, and her angelic voice now exhibits fuller and enriched low registers as she ages. ... Her lyrical pronunciation could still use some work as you can't quite understand all the words." Tallawah Magazine chose it as their "Album of the Week" and rated it an A+. In their track-by-track analysis of the album, Classic FM praised, among other things, Evancho's "musical maturity" in "The Music of the Night" and wrote that "'Come What May' ... is another romantic number that perfectly suits Evancho's soaring soprano" and 'When I Fall In Love' ... is a gorgeous song that sounds like it was custom-built for Evancho's voice."
The album debuted at #7 on the Billboard 200, #1 on the Classical Albums chart and #22 on the Canadian Albums chart. It also charted at #141 in Japan. The top ten debut made the 12-year-old Evancho the second artist who ever "amassed three top 10 albums [on the Billboard 200] at such a young age." In August 2012, Evancho recorded the song "Kōjō no Tsuki" (Moon over castle ruins) in Japanese as a bonus track to the Japanese release of the album. Norman Lebrecht wrote of the track: "To our ears, the singing is close to flawless."
The album remained on the Billboard 200 for 13 weeks and appeared on the Billboard Classical Albums chart in 72 weeks. Billboard ranked the album #7 on its 2012 year-end Classical Albums chart and # 4 on its 2013 year-end Classical Albums chart.
In 2012, Evancho made her second PBS Great Performances special, called Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies. The program was filmed on June 13, 2012 at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles and includes 11 of the selections from Songs from the Silver Screen. The special's executive producer and director is David Horn, co-producer is Humberto Gatica, and conductor and arranger is Bill Ross. Guest artists include The Canadian Tenors, Evancho's brother, Jacob Evancho, and Jumaane Smith on the trumpet.
PBS stations began airing the special on August 11, 2012, while offering a DVD version of the program as a pledge gift. The DVD also accompanied the CD "deluxe" release of Songs from the Silver Screen by Target. "What a Wonderful World", the only song from Songs from the Silver Screen omitted from the PBS special, is included on the DVD. A TV Worth Watching reviewer stated, "From a Willy Wonka number ('Pure Imagination'), to Phantom of the Opera's almost-epic 'Music of the Night,' the young singer has it all under control." One reviewer wrote: "It was an interesting introduction into a talented young individual, and it was stunning to see a person of such a young age run an entire special by herself." The special continued to be broadcast by PBS stations in 2013.
|Canadian Albums Chart||22|
|Japanese Albums Chart||141|
|US Billboard 200||7|
|US Billboard Top Classical Albums||1|
- Songs From The Silver Screen, Amazon.com, accessed September 30, 2012
- "Great Performances – "Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies", www.Thirteen.org, accessed July 11, 2012
- Evancho, Jackie. Songs from the Silver Screen, liner notes, 2012
- "Billboard 200: Week of October 20, 2012, Billboard.com, October 11, 2012
- "Classical Albums: Week of October 20, 2012, Billboard.com, October 11, 2012
- Monger, James Christopher. Review: Songs from the Silver Screen, Allmusic.com, accessed October 3, 2012
- "Jackie Evancho - Songs from the Silver Screen Exclusive (CD/DVD) – Only at Target", Target Corporation, accessed October 1, 2012
- DVD liner notes
- "Jackie Evancho", Ticket.pia.jp, accessed June 29, 2012
- Theatre program cover and inside pages of program, Bunkamura Orchard Hall, August 19, 2012
- Spero, Jill Taylor. "Jackie to Sing in Philadelphia Next Month", Pine-Richland Patch, July 2, 2011
- "Jackie Evancho & The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia – Songs From The Silver Screen", The Mann, August 21, 2012; Brad, Derek. Jackie Evancho photos, Philadelphia, August 25, 2012 at the Mann Center, Derek Brad Photography, accessed August 28, 2012
- Hampp, Andrew. "6 Questions with Jackie Evancho", Billboard magazine, October 20, 2012, p. 34; and Heavenly Christmas, iTunes, Apple Inc. October 16, 2012
- Goldman, Mary Kunz. "Jackie Evancho performs Friday in Artpark", The Buffalo News, June 27, 2013
- "Prodigy Jackie Evancho at Hanover Oct. 11", Worcester Telegram & Gazette, October 10, 2013
- "Events & Appearances", Jackie Evancho website, accessed July 16, 2013
- Terrill, Marshall. "5 Questions with teen singing sensation Jackie Evancho", Get Out, East Valley Tribune, January 17, 2014
- "Events & Appearances", Jackieevanco.com, accessed 1 April 2014
- Micco, Cindy Cusic. "Jackie Evancho to Appear on The View and Fox & Friends", Pine-Richland Patch, October 4, 2012
- Micco, Cindy Cusic. "Jackie Evancho to Appear on The Talk", Pine-Richland Patch, October 9, 2012
- Micco, Cindy Cusic. "AOL Music Treat: Listen to Jackie Evancho's New CD", Pine-Richland Patch, October 1, 2012
- Micco, Cindy Cusic. "Jackie Evancho to Appear on Rachael Ray Show", Pine-Richland Patch, November 7, 2012
- "Jackie Evancho Brings Her Big Voice to Big Sexy!", The Queen Latifah Show, December 4, 2013
- "Music Review: Jackie Evancho, Songs from the Silver Screen", The Trades, October 11, 2012
- "Album of the Week: Classical rising star Jackie Evancho dazzles on Songs from the Silver Screen", Tallawah Magazine, October 9, 2012
- "Jackie Evancho - Songs from the Silver Screen: an album guide", Classic FM, accessed December 5, 2012
- Canadian Albums: Week of October 20, 2012 (Biggest Jump), Billboard.com, October 11, 1012
- Jackie Evancho: Japanese Albums Chart, Oricon, accessed October 11, 2012
- Grein, Paul. "Week Ending Oct. 7, 2012. Albums: Green Day, No Doubt Tumble", Chart Watch, Yahoo!, October 10, 2012
- Caulfield, Keith. "Under the Covers with Unconventional Stars", Billboard magazine, 20 October 2012, p. 41
- Lebrecht, Norman. "The fourth of our seasonal singles is…. Jackie!", Slipped Disc, ArtsJournal, December 20, 2012
- "Jackie Evancho: Chart History", Prometheus Global Media, accessed February 6, 2014
- "Best of 2012: Classical Albums", Prometheus Global Media, December 15, 2012
- "Best of 2013: Classical Albums", Prometheus Global Media, December 13, 2012
- Evancho's first PBS special and DVD were released in 2011, titled Dream With Me In Concert. PDF Press Release for Great Performances, Thirteen.org, accessed April 29, 2011
- Benson, Bruce. "Jackie Evancho Goes to the Movies for PBS Concert", Pine-Richland Patch, June 14, 2012
- Schultz, Paul. "Music Review: Jackie Evancho, "Songs from the Silver Screen", The Trades, October 11, 2012
- Micco, Cindy Cusic. "Jackie Evancho's PBS Special Premieres Saturday Across U.S.", Pine-Richland Patch, August 11, 2012
- "Great Performances: Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies", KPBS September 14, 2012
- "Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies DVD", WTTW, accessed October 15, 2012
- Brinkmoeller, Tom. "Good, Better and 'Great Performances'", TVworthwatching.com, August 9, 2012
- Fernand, Ryan. "Great Performances: Season 38 Review", Lord of the Films, June 3, 2013
- Christensen, Cooper. "Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies", Arizona Public Media, May 22, 2013
- "Songs from the Silver Screen - Jackie Evancho - Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Jackie Evancho - Japanese Albums Chart". ORICON. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Columbia Records EPK for Songs from the Silver Screen
- Video of Evancho singing "Pure Imagination"