|Born||Sonia Iqbal Ahmed
23 August 1980
|Education||University of Ottawa Bachelor of Business|
|Occupation||President, Miss Pakistan World Mrs. Pakistan World Mr. Pakistan World|
|Known for||Creating Pakistan's Pageant Industry|
|Official Sonia Ahmed Site|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonia Ahmed.|
Sonia Ahmed (Urdu: سونیا احمد), Kuwaiti born Pakistani, founder of Miss Canada Pakistan Inc. also known as Miss Pakistan World, Mr. Pakistan World and Mrs. Pakistan World, is a pioneer in the international beauty and talent pageant industry for Pakistan. Ahmed started the pageant industry for Pakistan since 2002 and has now moved her plans to start the pageant in Pakistan in 2013.
Sonia Ahmed  attended Carmel School (Kuwait) convent in Kuwait after which her family moved to Ottawa in Canada, where she attended Notre Dame Catholic High School. Always an academic, Ahmed was awarded a medal for being ranked in the top 10 academically at her high school in Canada and also received a $8,000 scholarship to attend the University of Ottawa where she earned a degree in Business. Ahmed continued in CGA (Certified General Accounting) up to the 4th level and then left it to pursue the pageant as full fledged business. Ahmed, grew up in Kuwait and learnt many languages which included written & spoken Hindi, Arabic, Urdu & French besides English. Ahmed's father Mian Iqbal Ahmed Bashir belonged to Punjabi Arain family settled in Faisalabad, Pakistan and her mother is a native from Karachi, Pakistan. Ahmed spent her childhood in Kuwait, Karachi, Pakistan; Toronto, Canada; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Early work (2002-2006)
Living in Toronto, Ontario, Ahmed considers herself a driving force for the "progression" and "liberation"  of Pakistani women on a global scale. Working through her pageants, Ahmed aims to build cultural connections to showcase the beauty and talent of what she considers a new Pakistani generation. In 2002, Ahmed had announced the first pageant for Pakistan in the world, called Miss Canada Pakistan, and for three years Ahmed continued the pageant in Canada for Pakistani girls residing in Canada only. In 2006, Ahmed changed the pageant name to Miss Pakistan World, and carried on the pageant internationally and hence established the first official pageant for Pakistan. Ahmed consider's these events as a sort of civil rights movements, through which it is hoped that the young and married women of Pakistan are able to gain a voice on the international stage.
In 2007, Ahmed established the Mrs. Pakistan World pageant for married Pakistani women from around the world. Winners were crowned from countries like USA, Canada and Norway. It was unimaginable for married Pakistani women to be seen in beauty pageants, and Ahmed made sure that married women of Pakistani decent were given an opportunity. Though the pageant was small, it did not go unnoticed, and took part in major international pageants like Mrs. World, Mrs. Universe and Mrs. Earth.
In 2011, Ahmed went ahead with the Mr. Pakistan World event, a male competition for Pakistan to generate more youth to participate in areas where a lighter side of Pakistan could be shown.
Recent work (2012-present)
Ahmed has been active part of charities around the world. In November 2011, Ahmed was invited to India, where she took part in various schools in regards to speaking on India Pakistan relations and on women's issues. Ahmed has also been an avid supporter of President Pervez Musharraf and has always shown her appreciation in the media.
In 2003, Ahmed was facing issues with holding the pageant as some conservative sections of the community were against the existence of Miss Pakistan World. As time went on, the controversies fizzled out.
In August 2010, Ahmed was criticized for going ahead with the 8th annual Miss Pakistan World, when Pakistan was hit with floods 3 weeks prior to the actual event. Ahmed stood her grounds and said that the plans for holding the event would go on regardless. The other controversy surrounding the event was that it was held in the month of Ramadan. In an interview, Ahmed stated that the event was held after the fasting hours, and that Ramadan is a celebration not a mourning period. Ahmed has also always spoken very openly about her opponents who were mainly the conservative Pakistani community around the world.
Ahmed has also backed controversial Pakistani actress Veena Malik on cover shoot for an Indian magazine FHM. Ahmed also came on Indian live news channels, Tez Khabarain and Aaj Tak and defended Malik, against Dolly Bindra and Raza Murad.
- http://www.indianexpress.com/news/pakistani-beauty-pageant-aims-to-celebrate-womanhood/884115/ Indian Express
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/127030/miss-pakistan-world/ The Express Tribune Pakistan
- http://www.zeenews.com/news642066.html Zee News
- http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/feb/180209-Pakistani-beauty-queen-opposes-deal-on-Shariah-law.htm Opposing Shariah Law
- http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_pakistani-canadian-kills-daughter-over-hijab_1138800 Women's Rights Article DNA India
- http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111205/ttlife1.htm Tribune India
- http://finance.alphatrade.com/story/2013-02-14/CNW/201302141718CANADANWCANADAPR_C5856.html Yahoo News
- http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1114989/pakistan-gets-its-mrs-pakistan-world-2013-farah-mahmood CN NewsWire
- http://pakistanexaminer.com/?p=8784 Pakistan Examiner
- http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111209/cth1.htm#17 Tribune India
- http://www.indianewscalling.com/tip.php?tipid=18124 Indian News
- http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-i-love-you-musharraf-and-will-always-do-/523026/0 Indian Express
- http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Fashion/Miss-Pakistan-comes-to-India/Article1-803738.aspx Hindustan Times
- http://www.diversitywatch.ryerson.ca/media/cache/pakistanipageant_star_mar14.htm The Toronto Star
- http://www.theasiantoday.com/article.aspx?articleId=176 The Asian Today, UK
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/19/pakistan-anger-beauty-contest-floods The Guardian UK
- http://www.torontosun.com/blogs/themotts/2010/08/23/15115626.html Toronto Sun
- http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/850312--pakistani-beauty-pageant-to-go-ahead Toronto Star
- http://blogs.canoe.ca/themotts/disaster/few-flood-to-miss-pakistan/ The Motts
- http://newseastwest.com/give-up-miss-pakistan-pageant-president-sonia-ahmed-tells-her-opponents/ News East West
- http://www.tehelka.com/story_main52.asp?filename=hub100312Neighbour.asp Tehelka News India
- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/celebs/Miss-Pak-World-president-backs-Veena-Malik/videoshow/11047751.cms Times of India
- http://www.indiablooms.com/EntVideo2Details/entPVVideoDetails091211l1.php ANI News
- http://video.in.msn.com/watch/video/miss-pak-world-prez-backs-veena/fdh5k7pk ANI - MSN
- http://aajtak.intoday.in/video/Veena-Malik-to-marry-on-TV-for-1.5-crore-1-686405.html Aaj Tak Channel