Protection at the Speed of Business.
|Former type||private company|
|Industry||Backup and recovery, security appliances, Internet security, WAN optimization|
|Fate||Acquired by Dell|
|Founder(s)||Sreekanth Ravi, Sudhakar Ravi|
|Defunct||May 9, 2012|
|Headquarters||San Jose, California|
|Products||Security Appliance filtering Spam, backup and recovery, Spyware, Viruses and other Malware|
|Revenue||US$265 million (2011)|
|Employees||1000 (December 2011)|
SonicWall (styled SonicWALL), originally a private company headquartered in San Jose, California, and now owned by Dell, sells a range of Internet appliances primarily directed at content control and network security. These include devices providing services for network firewalls, UTMs (Unified Threat Management), VPNs (Virtual Private Network), backup and recovery, and anti-spam for email. The company also markets information subscription services related to their products. The company solutions also serve to solve issues surrounding HIPAA and PCI compliance issues.
On March 13, 2012, USA Today said that Dell announced its intent to acquire SonicWALL, which then had 130 patents and 950 employees. Dell's acquisition of SonicWall became official on May 9, 2012.
1990s - In the late 1990s they released a security product later branded "SonicWALL" which was a dedicated hardware appliance with firewall and VPN software intended for the small-business market.
1999 - In November 1999 they went public (SNWL).
2003 - Matthew T. (Matt) Medeiros (formerly of Philips Components) became CEO in March 2003. The company has acquired a number of companies through the years, expanding its product line in the process.
2007 - SonicWALL announces acquisition of Aventail Corporation
2010 - On July 23, 2010, SonicWALL announced that it has completed its merger with affiliates of an investor group led by Thoma Bravo, LLC, which includes the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan through its private investor department, Teachers' Private Capital. After the merger SonicWall was delisted from NASDAQ.
- "SNWL: Profile for SonicWALL, Inc.". Yahoo!. 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "Sonicwall PCI Compliance Case Study". SonicWALL. 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- USA Today, page B1, published March 14, 2008, "Dell buys security specialist SonicWall"
- "Dell completes acquisition SonicWall". Businesswire.com. May 9, 2012.
- "Corporate Information". SonicWALL. 1999. Archived from the original on 1999-05-04. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "SonicWall IPO Should Make Noise". Ecommerce Times. 1999. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "SonicWall Company Officers — Reuters". Reuters. 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "News Archive Search of "SonicWall acquisition" including frequency chart". Google. 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "SonicWALL, Inc. to Acquire Aventail Corporation". PR Newswire. 2007. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Worthen, Ben; Sherr, Ian (2012-03-13). "Dell to Buy IT-Security Company SonicWall — WSJ.com". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 13 March 2012.