|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Studio album by Black Label Society|
October 28, 1998 (Japan)
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock|
|Black Label Society chronology|
Sonic Brew is the first album by the heavy metal band Black Label Society, however unlike the albums that followed, this album still possessed a distinct Southern rock overtone that up to this time had predominated Zakk Wylde's solo writing style. The album was initially released in Japan on October 28, 1998. It contained 13 tracks (lacking "Lost My Better Half" and "No More Tears"); the cover art was printed on clear plastic, with a separate paper booklet. The back cover was printed with golden ink, and the packaging was, overall, a lot higher quality than all later versions.
There was a long delay before it was released outside of Japan, because the drums and vocals were buried on some of the tracks towards the end of the disc, so it was collectively decided to remix it for the US release. Due to the delay, Wylde and drummer Phil Ondich decided to give the USA an added bonus and went to the studio in California and recorded the aggressive "Lost My Better Half" as a one-off bonus track for the album - the recording of which reportedly prompted Wylde to pursue a heavier direction for the band's music thereafter. Sonic Brew was finally released on May 4, 1999 with a standard gloss-printed booklet. Early copies came packed with a free Zakk Wylde guitar pick.
Subsequently the Johnnie Walker whisky company issued a cease and desist order to Wylde on the album cover, which had been designed to look just like a bottle of Johnnie Walker's Black Label Whisky. The band decided to reissue the album with a different album cover, this time merely the band's skull logo and as an added incentive, they wanted to record a further bonus track for the fans who wanted to buy this now-third version of the album. Wylde, Ondich, and Mike Inez of Alice In Chains (who alongside Wylde had helped write the original) recorded their cover of Ozzy's "No More Tears" accordingly.
All songs written and composed by Zakk Wylde except where noted.
|1.||"Bored to Tears"||4:28|
|2.||"The Rose Petalled Garden"||4:55|
|3.||"Hey You (Batch of Lies)"||3:53|
|4.||"Born to Lose"||4:23|
|5.||"Peddlers of Death"||4:33|
|7.||"Beneath the Tree"||4:09|
|10.||"Lost My Better Half (SECOND PRESSING ONLY)"||4:24|
|12.||"World of Trouble"||5:20|
|13.||"Spoke in the Wheel"||4:13|
|14.||"The Beginning... At Last"||4:26|
|Reissue bonus track|
|15.||"No More Tears" (Ozzy Osbourne, Wylde, Randy Castillo, Mike Inez, John Purdell)||6:57|
- The song "Mother Mary" originated as an unreleased Pride & Glory demo, a live version of which was performed during Pride & Glory's set at the Donington Monsters of Rock Festival in 1994. The Black Label Society version is almost completely different both musically and lyrically but both do share the same basic chorus lyrics.
- This version of song "Peddlers of Death" has a main riff similar to Black Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf" from Master of Reality. The original version of the song was an acoustic bonus track Zakk Wylde's Book of Shadows album.
- Zakk Wylde – vocals, guitars, bass guitar, piano
- Phil Ondich – drums
- Mike Inez – bass guitar (track 15)
- Produced and mixed by Ron Albert, Howard Albert, and Zakk Wylde, except tracks 10 and 15, produced and mixed by Zakk Wylde
- Engineered and mixed by Lee DeCarlo, assisted by Rony Brack
- Mastered by Frank Cesarano