|Series||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Release date(s)||March 7, 2013 (iOS)
November 26, 2013 (Android)
|Genre(s)||Endless runner, Platformer|
Sonic Dash is an endless runner platform video game developed by Hardlight and published by Sega. The game is freeware. It was released exclusively on mobile phones, and is the second game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series developed by Hardlight for the platform, the first being Sonic Jump. The game was released on March 7, 2013 for iOS and on November 26, 2013 for Android.
Similar to how Sonic Jump played as a vertical platformer video game like Doodle Jump, Sonic Dash is played as an endless runner, similar to the Temple Run or Rayman Jungle Run video games. In the game, the player directs Sonic through levels, collecting rings and avoiding obstacles and enemies. Unlike other games in the series, Sonic automatically moves forward at all times, similar to Sonic and the Secret Rings. Players are able to share and compete for accomplishments such as "fastest time" or "longest distance".
The game features 3D graphics, set in an environment based on the "Seaside Hill" level of Sonic Heroes. Like its predecessors, rings can be collected throughout the levels or purchased via microtransactions, and accumulated rings can be used to purchase further content in the game, such as items, upgrades, or additional playable characters. The game also retains the objective system from Sonic Jump; players are granted a permanent score multiplier increase for every set of three objectives completed.
Throughout the levels red rings can be found, however players can purchase them as well. They are used to buy new characters to play as, all from the Sonic universe, which currently includes Tails, Knuckles, Shadow the Hedgehog, Amy Rose, Blaze the Cat, Silver the Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat.
In a November 2012 interview with UK toy trade magazine Toys 'n' Playthings, Sega of Europe employee Sissel Henno confirmed that Sega would have "several new digital titles" in 2013. On February 28, 2013, the title Sonic Dash was spotted on a listing from a Linked In profile. Shortly after, on March 1, 2013, Sega confirmed the game's existence, with an official press release going out on March 4. The game was announced to be exclusively for mobile phones, with iOS being the only platform explicitly mentioned, stating that it would be available on the App Store "soon". On the day of the iOS release on March 7, 2013, Sega's website confirmed that Hardlight is developing an Android version of Sonic Dash, although they didn't announce the date of release. However, there was issues during development, mostly on the android devices because it require testing for bugs and issues before getting it released. On September 19, 2013, Sega Europe stated that the Android version's release date would be announced "soon", with it eventually releasing on November 26, 2013.
Reviews for the game have been mixed. Aggregator MetaCritic calculated a score of 69 out of 100, based on 26 reviews, labeling it as having "mixed or average reviews". Destructoid gave the game a 7 out of 10, praising the game's control, finding that the "swipe"-based motions worked better than the tilt-based ones typical of the genre, but criticized the game for its repetitious nature, and in-app purchases that ranged from "not needed" to "pretty damn annoying." IGN gave the game a 6 out of 10 score, similarly praising the game's control, while criticizing the cheap level design and "pay-to-win" aspect of the game's leaderboard ranking system. Eurogamer gave it the same score, noting that the game felt rushed, and that the in-app purchases felt like they were motivated by greed. Touch Arcade gave the game a 3.5 out of 5 score, comparing it favorably to the special stages in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Digital Spy referred to it as "the best Sonic has played on a smartphone yet".
Critics were ultimately divided on the game's merits; Gamezebo lauded the game for being "the first time in 20 years that Sega has put out a Sonic game that you absolutely have to play", while MacLife referred to it as a game that "fumbles the fundamentals and aggravates with heavy-handed in-app purchases."
The game has been downloaded 20 million times.
- Sega to use Unity for Sonic! - Game Development Blog
- "Sonic Dash Review at DotMMO". DotMMO.Com. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Sonic Dash announced for mobile platforms". Gamesindustry.Com. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Exclu : Premières informations sur Sonic Dash iOS". Pocketgamer.fr. 2013-02-27. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley. "Sega announces Sonic Dash, an endless runner starring Sonic the Hedgehog". Eurogamer.
- "Sega officially announces Blue Blur-themed endless-runner Sonic Dash for iOS | Sonic Dash news | iPhone". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- Jackson, Mike. "Sonic Dash is a new endless runner for iOS". CVG UK.
- "SEGA Blog - Worlds Collide in the New Boss Battle Update for Sonic Dash". Sega. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "[Update] Sega confirms Sonic Dash game that was outed in LinkedIn job advert for Hardlight studio | Sonic Dash news | iPhone". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Sonic dash News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip". Kotaku. 2013-02-27. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Sonic Dash announced for mobile platforms". VG247. 2013-03-01. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- Shadzter. "SEGA’s Website Confirms Sonic Dash for Android". The Sonic Stadium. Retrieved August 2013.
- Oliver, Tristan. "Sega CM Addresses Sonic Dash Android Challenges". TSSZ News. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- "Sonic Dash for Android: “expect an announcement soon”". Sega-addicts.murnaumusic.com. 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- "Sonic Dash Critic Reviews for iPhone/iPad". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Review: Sonic Dash". Destructoid. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Justin Davis 19 Mar 2013 (2013-03-19). "Sonic Dash Review". IGN. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Stanton, Rich (2013-03-12). "Sonic Dash review • Reviews • iPhone •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Sonic Dash Review". Touch Arcade. 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Published Tuesday, Mar 12 2013, 6:19am EDT (2013-03-12). "Mobile reviews: 'Sonic Dash', 'Liberation Maiden', 'Rotolla', more - Gaming Review". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Sonic Dash Review". Gamezebo. 2013-03-07. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Sonic Dash Review | Mac|Life". Maclife.com. 2013-03-11. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Oliver, Tristan. "Sonic Dash Hits 20 Million Downloads". TSSZ News. Retrieved 2013-08-12.