Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
|Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure|
|Developer(s)||Sonic Team, SNK|
|Series||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグポケットアドベンチャー Sonikku za Hejjihoggu Poketto Adobenchā?) is a 1999 platform video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series developed by Sonic Team and SNK. It was released in December 1999 in North America, and May 2000 in Japan, exclusively for the Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld game console. It is also the first game of the Sonic series ever to be released on a video game console licensed by a different company other than Sega, since Sonic Jam on the Game com. The game was praised by critics, receiving perfect scores from multiple reviews.
The game is similar in level design and gameplay to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, but with mostly new bosses. It also includes a few graphics from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as music from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Jam. A new game mode called Trial Room allows players to replay previously cleared levels with the aim of beating their record. Two modes are available: Time Trial and Advanced. Advanced is the same as Time Trial but must be cleared with 50 rings or more in order for the time to be recorded. A rankings option is available to view the best time records for both Time Trial and Advanced. A Top 5 Update feature is available to connect with other players and exchange or combine each other's rankings.
Puzzle pieces can be collected throughout the game and be made available in Puzzle Room. Puzzle Room features three modes: Build Puzzle, View Puzzle, and Puzzle Initialize. In Build Puzzle players can build the puzzle by using the pieces the player found throughout the game. View Puzzle allows players to view puzzles they have completed. Puzzle Initialize allows the player to release all puzzle pieces back to be found again.
In addition to the single player mode, Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure allows multiplayer gaming for two players. In order to compete, both players are required to have a Neo Geo Pocket Color and a copy of the game, and one link cable. Player 1 is always Sonic, while player 2 is Tails. The multiplayer component is entitled 'Duel Room' and features two modes: Sonic Rush and Get the Rings. The objective of Sonic Rush is for players to compete to finish a zone first. The objective of Get the Rings is to compete in collecting a specified amount of rings. If one of the players has obtained the specified rings first, they are declared the victor and the other automatically loses. Players are also able to lose if they lose too many rings to the point that the zone has inefficient amount of rings.
Reception and legacy
Sonic Pocket Adventure received very positive reviews. IGN gave the game a perfect 10 out of 10 score. Pocket Magazine gave the game 5 stars. Dean Scott of Computer and Video Games Magazine also gave the game 5 stars, praising the single player mode being familiar to the original 3 16-bit games. Gamespot gave the game an 8.3 out of 10, praising the game's graphics, sound, and gameplay, but criticizing the game's short length and its lack of difficulty. Chris Murphy of Retro Gamer gave the game 4.67 out of 5.
Sonic Pocket Adventure was one of the games from the Neo Geo Pocket Color to be included in IGN's DSi Virtual Console Wishlist.
- "Sonic Pocket Adventure - NeoGeo Pocket Color Preview at IGN". Gameboy.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- Huey, Christian. "Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure - Review". allgame. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure manual pg.12, 13
- Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure manual pg.14, 15
- Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure manual pg.18, 19
- Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure manual pg.16, 17
- "IGN Review". Gameboy.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- Kiwi. "Sonic Pocket Adventure review" (in French). Pocket Magazine. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- Computer and Video Games Magazine, Issue 220, pg.100 Sonic Pocket Adventure: Spikey Speedster Gets shrunk in the Wash.
- "Sonic The Hedgehog: Pocket Adventure Review". GameSpot.com. 1999-12-20. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- "Retro Gamer Review". Retro Gamer. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "The DSi Virtual Console Wishlist". IGN. Retrieved 2013-10-26.