Sonny Boy Williamson and The Yardbirds
|Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds|
|Live album by Sonny Boy Williamson and The Yardbirds|
|Recorded||December 8, 1963 at the Crawdaddy Club, London, England|
|Producer||Horst Lippmann, Giorgio Gomelsky|
|The Yardbirds chronology|
Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds is a live album by Chicago blues veteran Sonny Boy Williamson II backed by English blues-rock band The Yardbirds. It was recorded in England at the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond, Surrey on December 8, 1963.
When Williamson visited London with the (September/October) 1963 American Folk Blues Festival tour, he attended a Yardbirds concert near the festival. He returned shortly afterwards for a small club tour of England and to record this album. There he was backed by several local rock bands, including The Animals with whom a similar live album was recorded.
All songs are written by Sonny Boy Williamson II, except as noted. The recordings have been consistently reissued in various formats.
- Side 1
- "Bye Bye Bird" (Williamson, Willie Dixon)
- "Pontiac Blues"
- "Take It Easy Baby"
- "I Don't Care No More"
- "Do The Weston"
- Side 2
- "Mister Downchild"
- "23 Hours Too Long" (Williamson, Eddie Boyd)
- "Out On The Water Coast"
- "Baby Don't Worry"
Over the years, other songs recorded during this club tour were released piecemeal by various record labels. In 1993, most were collected on The Yardbird's four-CD boxset "Train Kept a Rollin' - The Complete Giorgio Gomelsky Productions" (Charly LIKBOX3). (Two songs from the original album were not included: "I Don't Care No More" and "Baby Don't Worry"; these are essentially solo pieces by Williamson and feature little or no Yardbird backing.) Besides additional recordings by Williamson, it also includes a six-song set by The Yardbirds from the 8 December 1963 Crawdaddy date.
All songs are written by Sonny Boy Williamson II, except as noted. Tracks 1-6 feature The Yardbirds; the rest are Williamson backed by The Yardbirds. Tracks 1-15 were recorded 8 December 1963, Crawdaddy Club; tracks 16 & 17 recorded 7 December 1963, Star Club; tracks 18-20 recorded 28 February 1964, Birmingham Rhythm & Blues Festival.
- "Smokestack Lightning" (Howlin' Wolf) - The Yardbirds
- "You Can't Judge a Book by Looking at the Cover" (Willie Dixon) - The Yardbirds
- "Let It Rock" (Chuck Berry) - The Yardbirds
- "I Wish You Would" (Billy Boy Arnold) - The Yardbirds
- "Who Do You Love?" (Bo Diddley) - The Yardbirds
- "Honey in Your Hips" (Keith Relf) - The Yardbirds
- "Bye Bye Bird" (Williamson, Dixon)
- "Mister Downchild"
- "The River Rhine"
- "23 Hours Too Long" (Williamson, Boyd)
- "A Lost Care"
- "Pontiac Blues"
- "Take It Easy Baby" (version 1)
- "Out on the Water Coast"
- "Western Arizona" aka "Do the Weston" (version 1)
- "Take It Easy Baby" (version 2)
- "Do the Weston" (version 2)
- "Slow Walk" aka "The River Rhine"
- "Highway 49"
- "My Little Cabin"
After the boxset, expanded reissues of Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds appeared. However, they invariably leave off two or more of the twenty-two recordings available. Some of the labels that have reissued the album include Repertoire, JVC, Victor, and Sunspots.
- Sonny Boy Williamson II - vocal, harmonica
- Eric Clapton - guitar
- Chris Dreja - guitar
- Jim McCarty - drums
- Paul Samwell-Smith - bass
- Keith Relf - handclapping, shouting and foot-tapping
- Schumacher, Michael (1995). "Chapter 2: Smokestack Lightning (1963-65)". Crossroads: The Life and Music of Eric Clapton (1st ed.). New York City, New York: Hyperion. p. 35. ISBN 0-7868-6074-X.
- Russo, Greg (1998). Yardbirds: The Ultimate Rave-Up. Crossfire Publications. p. 160. ISBN 0-9648157-3-7.
- "Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds Review". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds (JVC) Review". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds (Victor) Review". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Sonny Boy Williamson & the Yardbirds: Complete Crawdaddy Recordings Review". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-10-28.