Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium
|Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium|
Halftime in October 2006
|Former names||Hughes Stadium|
|Location||S. Overland Trail,
Fort Collins, Colorado 80526
|Broke ground||May 1967|
|Opened||September 28, 1968|
|Owner||Colorado State University|
|Operator||Colorado State University|
|Surface||FieldTurf - (2006-present)
natural grass - (1968-2005)
|Record attendance||39,107 (vs. Utah, 1994)|
|Colorado State Rams - (NCAA) - (1968-present)|
Hughes Stadium sits in a natural oval bowl, with seating on three sides and an open grass berm (not open for seating) behind the south endzone. The west (home side) stands are expanded out of the bowl and capped by a press box. The stadium is named for Harry W. Hughes, the head coach for 31 seasons (1911–41), then known as Colorado Agricultural.
The playing surface itself was named in 2003 in honor of then head coach Sonny Lubick. The winningest coach in school history, Lubick led the Rams for 15 seasons (1993-2007), winning six conference titles and nine bowl games.
The stadium has a seating capacity of 34,400 with club seats and 12 luxury suites, completed in 2005. The playing field, at an elevation of 5,190 feet (1,582 m) above sea level, was natural grass for the stadium's first 38 seasons; FieldTurf was installed in the summer of 2006.
The first game at Hughes Stadium was played on September 28, 1968, a 17-12 loss to North Texas State, led by Mean Joe Greene. From October 1989 to August 1991, the Rams won eight consecutive games at the stadium, a school record.
This college stadium is one of the few in the nation that serves beer during football games.
- Denver Post - Downsizing Hughes Stadium
- MacCambridge, Michael, ed. ESPN College Football Encyclopedia. New York: Hyperion, 2005, p. 238.
- College Football Data Warehouse - CSU coaching records - Retrieved September 6, 2009
- Topographic map & aerial photo. USGS The National Map. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- CSU Rams.com - FieldTurf installation - June 26, 2006, Retrieved September 6, 2009
- Björner, Olof (Updated 2006). "Still On The Road: 1976 Rolling Thunder Revue II".
- James, Peter (June 2003). "Warehouse Eyes - Hard Rain". Retrieved February 19, 2007.
- CSU Rams.com - Hughes Stadium
- Hughes Stadium page @ ballparks.com
- World Stadiums.com - photos - Hughes Stadium