Sonpur railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
|Address||Sonpur, Saran, Bihar
|Elevation||56 metres (184 ft)|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||East Central Railway|
|Owned by||East Central Railway of the Indian Railway|
|Formerly||East Indian Railway|
|Passengers||50,000 per day|
Sonpur Junction, station code SEE, is a railway station and the headquarters of the Sonpur division of East Central Railway. Sonpur Junction is located in Sonpur city in Saran district in the Indian state of Bihar.
|This section is outdated. (February 2015)|
In 2011, the Sonpur Junction was given a facelift with a wider approach roads and greenery in and around the station premises at the cost of 20 million (US$310,000). The work on doubling of tracks on 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) tracks between Sonpur and Hajipur has been carried on since past few years and is set to be completed by the end of 2012.
In 2009, the construction of India's longest road-cum-rail bridge, Ganga Rail-Road Bridge, was underway on the banks on the Ganges nearby and will connect Patna to Pahleja Ghat. The bridge is expected to be completed by end of 2015. Sources say that when completed it will be 4.55 kilometres (2.83 mi) long and therefore the longest road cum rail bridge in India and one of the longest in the world.
The major facilities available are Waiting rooms, computerised reservation facility, Vehicle parking. The vehicles are allowed to enter the station premises. The station also has STD/ISD/PCO Telephone booth, toilets, tea stall and book stall. The passenger reservation system, booking counters and unreserved ticketing system are provided with air-conditioning facility.
Being the divisional headquarters, all the trains passing through this route have stoppages here. Several electrified local passenger trains and express trains run from Sonpur to neighbouring destinations. 
The nearest airports to Sonpur Junction are:
- Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna 15 kilometres (9.3 mi)
- Gaya Airport 121 kilometres (75 mi)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata
- "Official Website of Sonpur Division of East Central Railway". Government of India. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Sonepur station getting Rs 2-cr facelift". The Times of India. 2 April 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "India's longest rail-cum-road bridge to come up in Bihar". Hindustan Times. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Digha bridge cost likely to jump by Rs 3,000 cr". The Times of India. 3 July 2011.
- "Pataliputra station likely by 2015". The Times of India. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "List of Locations (Irrespective of States) Where Computerized Reservation Facilities Are Available". Official website of the Indian Railways. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "Sonpur Junction Details". indiantrains.org. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "Trains at Sonpur Junction". India Rail Info. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "Sonpur Junction". onefivenine.com. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Sonpur Junction Map
- Official Website of Sonpur Division[dead link]
- Official website of the Vaishali district[dead link]
|This article about a railway station in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|