Sophie Turner (actress)
Turner at the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con International.
21 February 1996 |
Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
Sophie Turner (born 21 February 1996) is an English actress. Turner is best known for her role as Sansa Stark on the HBO fantasy television series Game of Thrones, which earned her a Young Artist Award nomination for Best Supporting Young Actress in a TV Series. She has also starred in the television film The Thirteenth Tale (2013), the independent thriller Another Me (2013), and the action-comedy Barely Lethal (2015). She will star in the title role of Mary Shelley in the upcoming biographical drama Mary Shelley's Monster.
Turner was born in Northampton, Northamptonshire. She moved to Warwick, Warwickshire when she was two years old. She attended Warwick Prep School until she was 11, and later attended The King's High School for Girls. Turner has been a member of the theatre company Playbox Theatre Company since she was three years old.
Since 2011, Turner has portrayed Sansa Stark, a young noblewoman, in the HBO fantasy drama series Game of Thrones. Sansa is her first television role. Turner's drama teacher encouraged her to audition for the part, and she dyed her blonde hair auburn for the role. In 2012, she was nominated for the Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a TV Series – Supporting Young Actress for her performance as Sansa. To date, Turner has appeared in all four broadcast seasons, and will reprise the role once more in Season 5. In 2013, Turner played the lead role in the independent thriller film Another Me, based on the novel of the same name by Catherine MacPhail. She also starred as Adeline March in the 2013 television film The Thirteenth Tale.
In 2013, she was cast in the comedy film Barely Lethal, alongside American actress Hailee Steinfeld. Turner also narrated the audiobook version of the Lev Grossman short story The Girl in the Mirror, which was included in the short fiction anthology Dangerous Women, and was edited by George R.R. Martin. On 12 August 2014, Deadline reported that Turner had been cast in the upcoming biopic Mary Shelley's Monster, portraying the title character Mary Shelley. The film has been described as "a story of youth that transcends time, a gothic romance, a love triangle that involves a dark passenger." The film will also star Taissa Farmiga as Shelley's stepsister Claire Clairmont, and Jeremy Irvine as Shelley's husband Percy Bysshe Shelley. On 23 January 2015, Turner was cast as Jean Grey in X-Men: Apocalypse, due out in 2016.
After production ended on the first season of Game of Thrones, Turner and her family adopted Zunni, the dog that played Sansa Stark's pet direwolf.
|2013||The Thirteenth Tale||Young Adeline March||Television film|
|2015||Barely Lethal||Heather||In post-production|
|2016||X-Men: Apocalypse||Jean Grey|
|2016||Mary Shelley's Monster||Mary Shelley|
|2011–present||Game of Thrones||Sansa Stark||31 episodes|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Game of Thrones||Nominated|
|2011||Scream Award for Best Ensemble||Nominated|
|2012||Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a TV Series – Supporting Young Actress||Nominated|
|2013||Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Nominated|
- "Interview with Sophie Turner". Winter-is-coming.net. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Catherine Vonledebur (16 August 2013). "Leamington Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner enjoying her rise to fame". Coventry Telegraph. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- Hibberd, James (19 March 2013). "'Game of Thrones': Sophie Turner on fans bashing Sansa". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Nguyen, Hanh (9 June 2011). "Game of Thrones' Sophie Turner: Sansa Has Been Manipulated by Joffrey". TV Guide. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "GPress Roundup: Sophie Turner on Sansa’s surprising fifth season, John Bradley on sex scenes and more". Watchers On The Wall. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "'Game Of Thrones' Star Sophie Turner Joins 'Barely Lethal'". Deadline. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "'Game Of Thrones' Sophie Turner Set For 'Mary Shelley’s Monster' Opposite Jeremy Irvine, Taissa Farmiga". Deadline. 12 August 2014.
- "Giedroyc's "Mary Shelley's Monster" Places Chokers on Farmiga, Irvine & Sophie Turner". Ion Cinema. 13 August 2014.
- "Super Bowl Players on Game of Thrones, Emilia Clarke on YouTube reactions, and more…". Watchers On The Wall. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "The famous … four?". Winter-is-coming.net. 7 February 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sophie Turner (actress).|