Sophie in 't Veld
|Sophie in 't Veld|
|Born||Sophia Helena in 't Veld
13 September 1963
|Political party||Democrats 66|
|Alma mater||Leiden University|
|Occupation||Member of the European Parliament|
Sophia Helena ("Sophie") in 't Veld (born 13 September 1963) is a Dutch Member of the European Parliament for the social liberal party Democrats 66 as part of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe.
From 1996 to 2004, she was the secretary general of the ELDR group in the Committee of the Regions. In the 2004 internal party elections she defeated the sitting D66 MEPs. She has been a Member of the European Parliament since 20 July 2004, for Democrats 66 as part of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe parliamentary group.
She is an Honorary Associate of the UK National Secular Society, which in 2011 awarded her with the Secularist of the Year prize. She has also sought a condemnation of Pope Benedict XVI over his critical comments on gender theory.
A Washington judge ruled in 2009 that the United States government does not need to explain to Dutch MEP Sophie in 't Veld why she must undergo additional security checks each time she visits the US.
- "Dutch MEP wins Secularist of the Year". National Secular Society. 2011-03-19. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Dutch MEP seeks condemnation of Pope’s hatemongering". National Secular Society. 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Dutch MEP a security risk?". Expatica Communications. 2009-01-11. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Sophie in 't Veld|
- Sophie in 't Veld at the website of Democrats 66 (Dutch)
- Sophia in 't Veld at the website of the European Parliament
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Dutch politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|