Sophocles Papas (1894-1986) was an internationally renowned classical guitar pedagogue. He began teaching classical guitar in Washington, D.C., in the 1920s, when the lack of published guitar music led him to found the Columbia Music Company, Inc.. The company publishes many arrangements and original compositions for the guitar, including a number by Papas's friend Andrés Segovia. Perhaps best known is Papas's "Method for the Classic Guitar" (494-00194 / CO 300; $15.95), and his revised edition of Fernando Sor's "Sixty Short Pieces for Guitar" (Vol. I: Nos. 1 through 38, 494-00227 / CO 170a, $7.95; and Vol. II: Nos. 39 through 60, 494-00227 / CO 170b, $7.95), first published in 1963. All publications can be ordered through the Theodore Presser Company. Papas was also a regular contributor to many scholarly music journals, especially to CRESCENDO magazine.
Additional publications from the Columbia Music Company include:
- Papas’s Bach Album: Fourteen Pieces, by J. S. Bach (Bourrée II, from Suite No. 4 for Cello, BWV 1010; Andante, from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, BWV App. 131; Minuet, from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, BWV App. 114; Minuet, from Violin Partita No. 3, BWV 1006; Gavotte, from Gavotte en Rondeau from Violin Partita No. 3, BWV 1006; Gavotte I, from Suite No. 6 for Cello, BWV 1012 (revised by Elisabeth Papas Smith); Gavotte II, from Suite No. 6 for Cello, BWV 1012; Minuet, from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, BWV App. 115; Minuet III, from Suite in G, BWV 822; Minuet, from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, BWV App. 132; Gavotte II (Musette), from French Suite No. 3, BWV 808; Prelude, or Little Prelude for Lute, BWV 999; Sarabande, from Violin Partita No. 1, BWV 1002; Bourrée, from Lute Suite No. 1, BWV 996), arranged by Sophocles Papas (494-00213 / CO 169) $9.95.
- Five Catalan Melodies (El Noy de la Mare, El Testamento de Amelia, Plany, La Filla del Marxant, El Mestre), revised by Sophocles Papas (494-00204 / CO 232) $7.95
- Arpeggio Studies, edited and fingered by Sophocles Papas (494-00368 / CO 257) $3.95
- Eight Lessons, fingered by Sophocles Papas (494-00189 / CO 160) $4.95
See also Thea E. Smith, Papas' granddaughter and current president of Columbia Music Company.
- "Sophocles Papas Music Collection". Special Collections & Archives (SC&A), George Mason University. Retrieved 2009-05-23.[dead link] http://mylifeisaverage.com/
- Smith, Elisabeth Papas (1998). Sophocles Papas: the guitar, his life. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Columbia Music. ISBN 978-0-9658954-0-8. OCLC 38438683.
|This article on a Greek musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a classical guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|