|Years active||1995 – present|
Their music can be characterized by elegantly composed rhythms, floating sound of typical folk-instruments like bagpipes, flutes and violins, in an electronica-composition that supports the dramatic lyrics. Some tracks on Mark II are up-beat with only few lyrics and could also be characterized as dance or techno. A music critic on the US National Public Radio network described Ulla Bendixen's voice as "...a sensuous whisper cajoling you to listen, even if you don't understand Danish."
The lyrics are old stories from Danish folk tradition, about jealousy, murder, mythology and creatures. In Kirstin from Mark II a father serves his daughter a meal of her boyfriend's heart. In Ulver from III a man takes his girlfriend into the forest to kill and bury her. He falls asleep and she cuts him into pieces with his own sword.
Sorten Muld has also published a concept album called Jord, Luft, Ild, Vand (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) – a mostly instrumental journey through the classic elements. The album is a reworked recording of music commissioned by da:DGI for a gymnastics show on Bornholm. It was self-published and was only available to buy from their website.
- Ulla Bendixen - Vocals
- Martin Ottosen - Musician-Architect
- Henrik Munch - Electronics
(all after this point appear on III only)
- Søren Bendixsen - Guitar
- Harald Haugaard - Viola, Violin, Hurdy-Gurdy
- Johannes Hejl - Double bass
- Niels Kilele - Percussion
- Tommy Nissen - Drums
- Martin Seeberg - Bagpipe, Flute, Jewish harp
- Sorten Muld (1996)
- Mark II (1997)
- III (2000)
- Jord, Luft, Ild, Vand (2002)
- Ravnen (1997)
- Ravnen (1997) (alternative cover/tracklist)
- Bonden og Elverpigen (1997)
- Som Stjernerne på Himlens blå (1997)
- Venelite (1998)
- Mylardatter (1998)
- Vølven (2000)
- Jeppesen, Lars Löbner (17 July 2002). "Sorten Muld udgiver soundtrack". Gaffa.dk (in Danish). GAFFA. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Børjesen, Jesper Rise (1 April 2011). "Sorten Muld tager på pilot-tour". Gaffa.dk (in Danish). GAFFA. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Kloppenborg, Sten (25 August 2012). "Sorten Muld - Tønder Festival 2012, Open Air Scenen, fredag d. 24. august 2012 http://www.sortenmuld.dk/". Gaffa.dk (in Danish). GAFFA. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
|This article about a Danish band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|