Sotterley (Hollywood, Maryland)
Sotterly Plantation, July 2009
|Location||East of the junction of Maryland Route 245 and Vista Rd., Hollywood, Maryland|
|Area||360.8 acres (146.0 ha)|
|Architectural style||No Style Listed|
|NRHP Reference #||72001487|
|Designated NHL||February 16, 2000|
Sotterley Plantation is an historic landmark plantation located at 44300 Sotterley Lane in Hollywood, St. Mary's County, Maryland, USA. It is a long 1 1⁄2-story, nine-bay frame building, covered with wide, beaded clapboard siding and wood shingle roof, overlooking the Patuxent River. Also on the property are a sawn-log slave quarters of circa 1830, an 18th-century brick warehouse, and an early-19th-century brick meat house. Farm buildings include an early-19th-century corn crib and an array of barns and work buildings from the early 20th century. Opened to the public in 1961, it was once the home of George Plater (1735–1792), the sixth Governor of Maryland, and Herbert L. Satterlee (1863-1947), a New York business lawyer and son-in-law of J.P. Morgan.
Sotterley Plantation is the only Tidewater Plantation in Maryland open to the public that offers visitor activities and educational programs. Visitors can tour the early 18th-century mansion, an original slave cabin, a customs warehouse, smokehouse, necessary and corn crib, as well as a formal Colonial Revival garden. The property comprises 95 acres (380,000 m2) of rolling fields, gardens, and riverfront.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "National Historic Landmarks". National Park Service.
- "Maryland Historical Trust". Sotterley, St. Mary's County. Maryland Historical Trust. 2008-11-21.
- Note: A National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination document should be available upon request from the National Park Service for this site, but it appears not to be available on-line from the NPS Focus search site.
- Official website
- Sotterley, St. Mary's County, including undated photo, at Maryland Historical Trust
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-181, "Sotterly, State Route 245 & Vista Road Vicinity, Hollywood vicinity, St. Mary's County, MD", 34 photos, 7 measured drawings, 29 data pages
- HABS No. MD-181-A, "Sotterly, Necessary", 1 photo
- HABS No. MD-181-B, "Sotterly, Gate Lodge", 1 photo
- HABS No. MD-181-C, "Sotterly, Slave Quarters", 3 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. MD-181-D, "Sotterly, Barn", 1 photo
- HABS No. MD-181-E, "Sotterly, Ceiling Detail", 1 photo
- HABS No. MD-181-F, "Sotterly, Plans", 2 photos