Soul of a Man (Eric Burdon album)
|Soul of a Man|
|Studio album by Eric Burdon|
|Released||13 January 2006|
|Genre||Rock, blues, rhythm and blues, soul, funk, gospel|
|Eric Burdon chronology|
Soul of a Man is a 2006 R&B album by Eric Burdon. It is dedicated to Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker and the city of New Orleans. It follows his 2004 comeback album My Secret Life and the 2005 live album & DVD Athens Traffic Live.
It reached No. 43 on the German and No. 165 on the French album chart.
The album was recorded within one week.
The cover was drawn by a fan.
The song "Feeling Blue" was written by Eric Bibb. "Slow Moving Train" is a song he first performed in early 2005. It's dedicated to U.S. President John F. Kennedy. In 2008 he wanted to shoot a video of it, which never was done yet. Burdon also covered two songs by the folk-singer-songwriter David Munyon; "GTO" features a bass solo and a spoken intro and "Never Give Up Blues" shows him in melancholy.
- "Soul of a Man" (Blind Willie Johnson) – 4:16
- "Kingsize Jones" (Jimmy Wood, J.J. Holliday) – 3:34
- "Red Cross Store" (Fred McDowell) – 4:18
- "Como Se Llama Mama" (Gregg Sutton, John Heron) – 3:39
- "Forty Days and Forty Nights" (Bernard Roth)– 3:00
- "Feeling Blue" (Eric Bibb, Fredrik Boström)– 4:48
- "Never Give Up Blues" (David Munyon) – 4:13
- "GTO" (Munyon) – 5:33
- "Forty-Four" (Roosevelt Sykes, Eurreal Wilford Montgomery)– 4:30
- "Slow Moving Train" (John Keller) – 5:26
- "Don't Ever Let Nobody Drag Your Spirit Down" (Charlotte Hoglund, Eric Bibb) – 4:55
- "Devil Run" (John Bundrick) – 3:21
- "I Don't Mind" (John Bundrick) – 5:27
- "Circuit Rider" (Billy Watts, David Raven, Pete Anderson, Taras Prodaniuk) – 3:44
- Eric Burdon - vocals
- Carl Carlton - guitar, slide guitar
- Johnny Lee Schell - guitar, slide guitar, background vocals
- Jon Cleary - piano
- James Hutchinson - bass
- Reggie McBride - bass
- Les Lovett - trumpet, Flugelhorn
- Nick Love - trombone
- John Sublett - saxophone
- Rod Piazza - harmonica
- Lenny Castro - percussion
- Tony Braunagel - drums
- Horowitz, Hal (2011). "Soul of a Man - Eric Burdon | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 27 August 2011.