Soul of the South Network
|Soul of the South Network|
|Type||regional broadcast network|
|Branding||This is Home|
First air date
|May 27, 2013|
|Availability||Over the air|
by Edwin Avent
|Headquarters||Little Rock, AR|
|Parent||SSN Funding, LP|
Soul of the South Television Network (SSN) is an African-American-focused regional broadcast network owned by SNN Media Group. SSN will primarily broadcast in the Southern USA and secondarily in other high African-American populated cities in the north.
SSN uses the C.A.S.H. system, Central Automated Satellite Headend, and a computer server “cloud based system” to send its feed to its affiliated stations. SNN will seek affiliate from full power television stations, Class A low power TV stations, digital subchannels and cable outlets.
Soul of the South Network was founded in 2011 by Edwin Avent, Carl McCaskill and Larry Morton. SNN purchased assets from the bankrupted Equity Media Holdings including the studio and production facilities of KKYK-TV and the C.A.S.H. system. SSN was planning to broadcast five hours of news per day with assistance from Independent News Network with four regional bureaus. SSN was also seeking to purchase TV stations. Expected original programming was a hip hop music show, family reunion featured program and Drum Majors, concerning music at mostly black colleges, and Radioface, an unscripted comedy and Southern Soul Stories, a documentary series about southern African-American icons and southern events.
By April 2012, Soul of the South was working to get additional affiliates to reach 50 markets for a two wave launch.
Originally planned to launch in the first quarter of 2012 and moved to fall 2012, SSN instead launched on May 27, 2013 with an announced 30 market launch. However according RabbitEars.info, SSN only has 11 broadcast affiliates covering 14% of the nation.
- WDVB-LD 23.2 New York
- WOCK-CD 13.5 Chicago - KM Communications
- KATA-CD 50.1 Mesquite / Dallas / Fort Worth - London Broadcasting
- W16CC-D Westgate / West Palm Beach, Florida - Mako Communications
- WYGA-CD Atlanta / Atlanta, Georgia - Mako Communications (special feed without news and movies)
- WBNA 21.6/Louisville, KY/Word Broadcasting (full-power subchannel)
- WTLV 12.2 Jacksonville, Florida - Gannett
- WRCX-LP 40.1 Dayton, Ohio
- KKYK-CD 30.1 / KMYA-DT 49.2 Camden / Little Rock, Arkansas - Pinnacle Media / Ellis-Wilson LLC
- WLFT-CD 30.1 Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- WFXU 57.1 Live Oak / Tallahassee, Florida - Budd Broadcasting
- WLOO 35.2 Jackson, Mississippi - Raycom Media
- KLWB 50.3 / KXKW-LD 32.1 Lafayette, Louisiana - Delta Media
- KUMY-LD 22.1 BEAUMONT, TX
- WYJJ-LD 27.1 Jackson, Tennessee
- KBCA 41.3 ALEXANDRIA, LA - Wilderness Communications
Soul of the South
|Trading name||Soul of the South|
|Founded||Little Rock, AR (2011)|
|Headquarters||Little Rock, AR, USA|
|Number of locations||30|
|Divisions||Soul of the South Network
Southern Soul Broadcasting
Gateway Media Technologies
SSN Funding, LP, also known as SSM Media Group, SOS Media Holdings, and doing business as Soul of the South, is a limited partnership that owns SSN Networks, Southern Soul Broadcasting and Gateway Media Technologies. The institutional investors include Arkansas Development Finance Authority, Arkansas Economic Development Commission, and Arkansas Capital Corporation.
Southern Soul Broadcasting
Southern Soul Broadcasting is the station operating unit operating stations in Chicago, Philadelphia, Tallahassee, Montgomery, Jackson, MS, Raleigh, NC, and its Little Rock full power flagship station.
- Block, Alex Ben. (10/31/2011) New Network Targeting African Americans to Launch Next Year. Hollywood Reporter.
- Albiniak, Paige. (April 28, 2012) For TV, black is the new green. Variety.
- Associated Press. (November 24, 2011) Soul of the South’ TV. South Florida Times. Beatty Media LLC.
- Malone, Mike. (April 18, 2013) Soul of the South Sets Launch Date. Broadcasting & Cable.
- Stations for Network - Soul of the South. RabbitEars.info. Accessed on October 4, 2013.
- "Stations for Network - Soul of the South". RabbitEars.info. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- Marketwired. (Apr 18, 2013) SOUL OF THE SOUTH NETWORK Set to Launch Memorial Day Weekend After Securing Nearly $10 Million Investor Infusion. Wall Street Journal.