|Birth name||DeAndre Cortez Way|
|Also known as||Soulja Boy Tell 'Em|
July 28, 1990 |
Chicago, Illinois, United States
|Origin||Batesville, Mississippi, U.S.|
|Occupations||Rapper, record producer, entrepreneur, actor|
|Instruments||Vocals, FL Studio|
Collipark, Interscope (former)
|Associated acts||Arab 2059, Lil B, Mr. Collipark|
In September 2007, his single "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100. The single was initially self-published on the internet, and it later became a number-one hit in the United States for seven non-consecutive weeks starting in September 2007. On August 17 Way was listed at number 18 on the Forbes list of Hip-Hop Cash Kings of 2010 earning $7 million for that year.
Way has currently released three studio albums and one independent album: his debut studio album Souljaboytellem.com (2007) was certified platinum by the RIAA. However, his next two albums, iSouljaBoyTellem (2008) and The DeAndre Way (2010) did not match the commercial success of his debut, the latter only selling 100,000 copies, despite the success of several singles across both albums, such as "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" and "Turn My Swag On" (iSouljaBoyTellem) and "Pretty Boy Swag" (The DeAndre Way).
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career beginnings
- 3 Music career
- 4 Musical style
- 5 Other ventures
- 6 Personal life
- 7 Controversies
- 8 Discography
- 9 Tours
- 10 Filmography
- 11 Awards and nominations
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
At age 14, he moved to Batesville, Mississippi, with his father, who provided a recording studio for Way to explore his musical ambitions. In November 2005, Way posted his songs on the website SoundClick. Following positive reviews on the site, he then established his own web pages on YouTube and Myspace. In March 2007, he recorded "Crank That" and released his first independent album Unsigned & Still Major: Da Album Before da Album, followed by a low-budget video filmed demonstrating the "Crank That" dance. By the end of May 2007, "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" received its first airplay and Way met with Mr. Collipark to sign a deal with Interscope Records.
On August 12, 2007, the song appeared on the Emmy-award winning HBO series Entourage, and by September 1, it topped the US Billboard Hot 100 and Hot RingMasters charts. Way's major label debut album Souljaboytellem.com, which was reportedly recorded using just the demo version of FL Studio, was released in the United States on October 2, peaking at number four on both the Billboard 200 and Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums charts.
Souljaboytellem.com received a favorable review from Allmusic, but received mainly negative reviews from other sources such as Entertainment Weekly. Several reviewers credited Soulja Boy with spearheading a new trend in hip-hop, while speculating he will likely be a one-hit wonder.
The follow-up to souljaboytellem.com, iSouljaBoyTellem, was released on December 16, 2008, to negative critical reception. The first single from the album, "Bird Walk", peaked at number 40 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and the top 20 on the Hot Rap Tracks chart. It was performed on the first YouTube Live on November 22, 2008, with an introduction from MC Hammer. "Kiss Me Thru the Phone", with Sammie, followed, peaking at number three on the Hot 100 and number one on the Hot Rap Tracks charts. Chris Brown was originally Way's first choice to sing the hook, but respectfully turned down the offer. Way then tried to do it on his own with Auto-Tune but he found it unacceptable. It sold over 2,000,000 digital copies in the United States, becoming his second song to reach the two million mark in downloads.
On January 26, 2009, Way released his third single "Turn My Swag On". it topped the US Rap Charts and peaked at number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100. It has so far[when?] sold more than 1,000,000 digital downloads in the United States. It became Soulja Boy's third song to sell 1 million or more downloads.
2009–2010: The DeAndre Way
The DeAndre Way is Way's third studio album, Way has stated that the album is intended to be his most personal and successful album thus far. When speaking on possible collaborations, he stated he wished to work with artists such as Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Kanye West, Eminem, among others. The lead single from the album, "POW", was released in January 2009 but failed to garner success and was dubbed a promo single. On October 30, 2009, Way released three mixtapes Paranormal Activity, Dat Piff & Cortez. Then it was announced on February 18, 2010, that the first single from the album was going to be "All Black Everything" but it was cancelled and was just put on his promotional mixtape Legendary. The album was titled The DeAndre Way but was changed in early 2010 to Dre with a commercial video snippet for "Do It Big" as the first single but it was cancelled as well. However it reverted to The DeAndre Way in July 2010.
But on June 8, 2010, the official lead single from the album was "Pretty Boy Swag". The single has reached number 34 on the Billboard Hot 100, number six on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and number five on the Rap Songs chart. The album's second single was due to be "Digital" but it was just used on his promotional mixtape Best Rapper. Then it was announced that "Speakers Going Hammer" was going to be the second single, but "Blowing Me Kisses" was released on August 31, 2010, as the second single instead. On October 13 Soulja Boy performed "Pretty Boy Swag" and a snippet of his third single "Speakers Going Hammer". On October 19, 2010, Way finally released "Speakers Going Hammer" on iTunes with the single peaking at number 48 on the Billboard Hot R&B & Hip Hop Tracks. The DeAndre Way was released on November 30, 2010, and has so far[when?] only sold 70,000 copies making this Way's lowest selling album. Soulja Boy was to be part of the Summerbeatz tour held in Australia alongside Flo Rida, Jay Sean and Travie McCoy in November 2010, but in lieu of his current album release date Soulja Boy had declined the offer and just embarked on his Who They Want tour.
2011–present: Various mixtapes, EP's & next album
On January 22, Way released his first mixtape of 2011 Smooky which cover featured a cartoon version of Way on a bicycle doing a 360. Then On March 17, 2011, Way released the mixtape 1up which cover was based on the Naruto anime, stating: "If I was in a video game, this mixtape would advance me to the next level with an extra life. Power up with the new offering". On April 20, 2011, Way released his mixtape Juice which cover was based on the film of the same name. Way stated he would also release a mini-movie of his own to go along with the mixtape, stating that he was headed to greatness with the mixtape. On July 15, 2011, Way released his ep mixtape entitled Bernaurd Arnault EP (Limited Edition). Then on August 1, 2012, Way released another ep mixtape entitled 21: EP. Then on August 31, 2011, Way released the mixtape The Last Crown the cover of the mixtape is based on the artwork the Flammarion Engraving. In September 2011, Way confirmed he is working on a new album, called Promise, which will be released in October. Way also released the cover & title of his second independent album via Twitter, entitled Skate Boy, which he said would be available in stores November 1, also via Twitter. On September 19, 2011, Way released the mixtape Supreme. It is known for Way going back to his old Pop Rap style. On October 30, 2011 Skate Boy (Deluxe Edition) was released & turned out to be a mixtape & not an album. On December 30, 2011, Way released another mixtape entitled Gold On Deck.
On January 9, 2012, Way released another mixtape for the beginning year entitled 50/13 which cover was based on ASAP Rocky's mixtape cover Live. Love. ASAP. On January 24, 2012, Way released a collaboration mixtape with his artist Young L entitled Mario & Domo vs. the World which cover was based on Super Mario Bros. Then On March 23, 2012, Way released a mixtape entitled OBEY which featured his promotional single "Too Faded". On June 3, 2012, Way talked about his upcoming album Promise and stated the reason he has put out so many mixtapes in the last two years because he feels like he has to put out a lot of music and be as creative as possible. On June 11, 2012, Way released another collaboration mixtape with upcoming rapper Vinny Chase entitled Double Cup City. On September 4, 2012, Way released a sequel mixtape to his mixtape Juice entitled Juice II, with it being known for Way going back to his old production style with the beginning lines "Soulja Boy Tell 'Em", it's also Way's most downloaded mixtape. His nmixtape entitled Young & Flexin was released on November 6, 2012. On December 25, 2012, Way released his mixtape LOUD, which he also for the first time distributed on iTunes.
On February 22, 2013, Way released his first mixtape of the year entitled Foreign. In March 2013 it was rumored that Way may be signing to Cash Money Records after getting a tattoo saying "Rich Gang" on his face, and being seen hanging with Cash Money artists Birdman and Bow Wow with his manager the same weekend. This continued after he added "Rich Gang" or "YMCMB" to his social media platforms. Soulja Boy had earlier reported that he was no longer with Interscope Records after his record deal ended, after releasing his third studio album. Way also announced that his album Promise has been changed to USA DRE. On March 15, 2013, he released the first single from the album, titled "Handsome". Following that on March 25, 2013, he released the EP, All Black. On April 24, 2013, Way released his mixtape Foreign 2. Three days later, Way released the cover art to his next mixtape entitled King Soulja which was released on May 5, 2013. On May 26, 2013 Way released his second EP entitled Cuban Link. On June 13, 2013 Way announced that he has changed his album title once again to Life After Fame and that it would be released to stores on July 30, 2013. On June 25, 2013 Way released his first single from the album entitled "Ridin Round" to iTunes, but it was later dubbed a promotional single. On June 30, 2013 Way released Life After Fame as a mixtape and not as an album. On September 24, 2013 Way released his mixtape entitled 23. On November 30, 2013 Way released his mixtape The King. On December 28, 2013 rapper/singer Drake collaborated & remixed Way's intro track "We Made It" from his mixtape The King.
On March 18, 2014 Way released his first mixtape of the year entitled King Soulja 2. On April 20, 2014 Way released his retailed mixtape Super Dope, it featured an appearance from Busta Rhymes. On May 19, 2014 Way was featured & also produced Nicki Minaj promotional single "Yasss Bish", the song has been met with critical reception. On June 8, 2014 Way announced he was currently working on his new mixtape project King Soulja 3 & it would feature appearances from Lil Wayne, Drake, Migos, Young Thug & Wiz Khalifa.
Way has been best known for his rudimentary lyrical verses, rhyme schemes, song structure as well as the embodying the quinessential pop rap, snap music & Southern hip hop music style and has also been well known for his rudimentary repetitive, yet catchy hooks.
"I can't keep playin' around, because if you keep playin' around, people are gonna think you're a joke.... At some point, you have to get serious."
But don't get it twisted, Soulja doesn't wanna be the next Lupe Fiasco. I don't want to be super-Lupe-Fiasco-lyrical and niggas don't know what the fuck I'm talking about," he added."I want to be the best," he continued. "I want to be recognized in that category where I'm nominated for Best Rapper with Jay-Z and Kanye and Wayne. I wanna get a Grammy. I want Best Rap Album of the Year... I've made millions of dollars off of doing my style, but, hey, I can rap, too."
On December 5, 2010 Way clarified his earlier interview with XXL Magazine saying fellow rapper Lupe Fiasco was too "lyrical," explaining more in-depth why he doesn't keep a lyrically-based flow on every song. According to Way:
"[XXL Magazine] didn't [publish] my whole statement. And basically, the interviewer dude, he was asking me why do I make lyrical songs like 'Only God Knows,' 'Born'... 'The World So Cold,' and why do I make non-lyrical songs like 'Crank That' and 'Pretty Boy Swag'? And he was like, why don't I just be lyrical all the time? And I was telling him on [a] specific song, like 'Pretty Boy Swag,' I ain't wanna be all lyrical. I just wanted to be straight-up, and just be simple, [so] people can get what I'm saying 'cause it's a club song. But I wasn't saying as far as my whole music [output, with] all of my songs, that I don't wanna be rappin' like Lupe Fiasco."
Way further clarified there was no animosity between him and Fiasco and that the two had planned to record a song together.
Stacks on Deck Entertainment
|Stacks on Deck Entertainment|
|Founder||DeAndre "Soulja Boy" Way (CEO)
Michael "Miami Mike" Sykes (President)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Atlanta, Georgia (2007-2011)
Los Angeles, California (2012-present)
Way founded his record label Stacks on Deck Entertainment in 2004. While Way was signed to Interscope and Collipark Music. Since founding the label he has signed various artists, but he is the only artist to release an album on the label.
- Current artists
|Soulja Boy (CEO/founder)||2004|
|Arab 2059 (Boss Money/SODMG)||2006|
|JBar aka Ja-Bar (TOKE Team/SODMG)||2008|
- Former artists
Way also produces records, including his own, primarily using the digital audio workstation, FL Studio. In 2009, Way produced V.I.C.'s single "Get Silly" which went certified Gold & Bow Wow's single "Marco Polo". Way beats often contain the beginning lines "Soulja Boy Tell 'em" But as of late Way has produced beats without using the lines. Also in 2009 Way was also supposed to been producing for Kanye West's fourth studio album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy & Kanye was supposed to been producing for Ways third studio album The DeAndre Way but for unknown reasons neither of them used each other's beats. On May 13, 2011, Way stated that he had produced & submitted beats for 50 Cent's fifth studio album Street King Immortal. In 2013 Way also produced for Lil Wayne's album I Am Not a Human Being II on the track "Wowzers". On May 6, 2014 during an interview Way announced he was producing for Diddy's upcoming album M.M.M. & he was also producing for Lil Wayne's upcoming album Tha Carter V. Soulja Boy also produced the song Yasss Bish, on Nicki Minaj's upcoming album, The Pinkprint.
On March 5, 2008, Way released his official clothing line of "S.O.D clothing". Then also in 2008 Way released his own brand of the popular shoe line entitled "Yums". On February 14, 2012, Way along with fashion designer D. Young created the official clothing line "Ocean Gang". In 2012 Way released another line he created BLVD. Supply, the store is located in Los Angeles, California.
In August 2010, Soulja Boy announced a desire to make a film about himself, having reported to MTV News that he discussed the idea with Nick Cannon. He was later approached by Peter Spirer who presented his own concept for making a documentary about the artist. Directed by Spirer, Soulja Boy: The Movie was released direct-to-video on October 18, 2011, a date which coincided with Soulja Boy's arrest on a drug charge. The film contains live performances from his DeAndre Way Tour and interviews of Soulja Boy's father as well as current and former members of Stacks on Deck Entertainment. The documentary was panned by DVD Verdict as offering poor video transfer, since much of its music detail was taken from YouTube clips.
On October 7, 2009, Way was arrested in Atlanta, Georgia, on one count of obstruction, a misdemeanor, for running from police when he'd been ordered to stop while filming a video in an abandoned house. The rapper was released on $550 bond.
In May 2011, Way and his labels were sued by a local Pennsylvania promoter for failing to make promised payments in connection with a rescheduled concert.
On October 18, 2011, Way was traveling west on I-20 in Carroll County, Georgia, with four other men when their vehicle was pulled over for a vehicle equipment violation. The police officer who made the stop searched the vehicle and found more than five ounces of marijuana. Way was arrested and released on bond during the same day.
On January 22, 2014, Way was a passenger in his vehicle when the driver ran a stop sign in the San Fernando Valley, California. After it was pulled over, cops discovered that Way had a loaded handgun in the car. He was then arrested immediately and taken to jail. However, his manager claimed that a neighbor left the gun under the car seat, meanwhile Way was left unaware that it was there. Way only admitted to owning the vehicle, not the weapon to the police.
On February 15, 2014, Soulja Boy announced via Twitter that he was going to jail in five days time. He did not confirm the reason as to why, although it could possibly stem from the January 2014 arrest when cops found a loaded gun in Soulja Boy's car. Soulja ultimately never appeared to turn himself in to authorties and the details of his charges are unknown.
On December 30, 2008, Way was robbed and battered in his home. Initial reports indicated that the robbers were six masked men with AK-47s and pistols but on December 31, 2008, videos surfaced on the Internet of two masked men claiming sole credit for the crime. Soulja Boy described the incident to MTV News a month later: He had come home very late at night after attending an album release party and was recording songs with friends when the robbers came in pointing their guns.
On the night of March 22, 2011, Way's little brother Deion Jenkins was killed in a car crash.
Way's music has been banned from some school dances for alleged sexual or violent content and/or innuendos. However, he has denied these claims. In the original YouTube video for "Shootout", Soulja Boy demonstrates his dance while holding a handgun in each hand and pretending to shoot into the audience.
In June 2008, on DJ Cisco's Urban Legend mixtape, Ice-T told Way to "eat a dick" and criticized Way for "killing hip-hop" and his song "Crank That" for being "garbage" compared to the works of other hip-hop artists such as Rakim, Das EFX, Big Daddy Kane and Ice Cube. The two then traded videos back and forth over the Internet. Rapper Kanye West defended Way by arguing that the younger artist created a new, original work for hip-hop, thus keeping the authentic meaning of the music. The feud was parodied in a 2010 episode of The Boondocks.
In May 2011, Way's feud somewhat reignited with Ice-T again regarding the film Juice. Way stated he would also release a movie of his own to go along with his mixtape of the same name again somewhat reignited with Ice-T following a statement during Ice-T's interview with Shade 45 in late April 2011. Ice-T stated that Way's role as Bishop, which was famously originated by Tupac Shakur was not an issue. But Ice-T would find the fact that the film being remade is problematic saying ""What?” he said. “But that’s Pac… At some point, somebody gotta stop it. I came out. I made some statements. Man, I don’t know. Do you, dude, do you. If the masses accept it, it shows you the state we’re in… Come on man, you think I’d try to remake Pac’s movie? Good luck though, I'm not a hater ... eh." Way himself barraged Ice-T with retaliatory tweets on the same day, joking that someone should "get this guy a hairline." 
On December 9, 2008, Charles Hamilton commented in an interview by saying that Way was making it harder for new artists to be signed. Way responded by saying "X out the Sonic and fuck with Mario, you might want to got damn eat a mushroom"(Charles Hamilton is known to be a big fan of Sonic the Hedgehog).[further explanation needed] Charles Hamilton responded with the diss song "I'm You Last Year With Talent". Then the diss song "Word Aight".
On February 2, 2009, Way challenged Bow Wow to a race in their Lamborghinis and claimed Bow Wow's Lamborghini was a rental. On February 4, 2009, Bow Wow proved that he owned his Lamborghini and said "its halloween in Bankhead for you everyday nigga..you scared..you all nervous and shit". Way responded on Twitter by saying "HE FUCKED UP!!!! IM BOUT TO SHITTTT ON THIS NIGGA!! LOL!!!!!". On February 7, 2009, both artist sent diss songs to each other such as Way's "Fuck Bow Wow" & Bow Wow's "What I Think About You". Later that day during a phone conversation both rappers settled their differences.
U.S. Armed Forces
In September 2011, Soulja Boy released the song "Let's Be Real". One of the lines of the song went: "Fuck the FBI and fuck all the army troops / Fighting for what? Bitch, be your own man / I'll be flying through the clouds with green like I'm Peter Pan." After the song was released, Soulja Boy was highly criticized by military members and their families, especially in regards to the timing relative to the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Soulja Boy apologized, "When I expressed my frustration with the US Army, not only did my words come out wrong, I was wrong to even speak them." He adds, "So, I write this to give my sincerest apology to all members of the United States military services, as well as their families that were offended by my most recent lyrics." Representatives for Soulja Boy have indicated that the song has been pulled from his upcoming album, Promise, and will not be available for sale. They are also attempting to remove the video from the internet.
On September 6, 2011, TMZ reported that Way's album wouldn't be sold at the 3,100 Army and Air Force base exchanges if it included the song "Let's Be Real".
On August 25, 2012, Way made controversial comments towards fellow rapper Hopsin on one of his webcam chats with his fans when Way stated "fuck Hopsin, I'm about to go in the studio and record this Hopsin diss real quick". Way continued on by stating the words "that nigga's a bitch, fuck that bitch-ass nigga". The situation was caused by Hopsin's controversial song "Sag My Pants" which was a direct diss towards Way with the lines "Soulja Boy you got a corny flow, So you can suck my fucking dick through a glory hole" though Way previously didn't focus on the diss. But on August 28, 2012, on Way's Tinychat, Hopsin & Way confronted each other, though Hopsin admitted he liked Way nothing was really resolved. On September 3, 2012, Way released the Hopsin diss. It was entitled "That Nigga Not Me". Hopsin has not responded to the diss yet.
Chief Keef and Ballout
On April 19, 2013, Way sent a number of death threats to Chicago rapper Chief Keef via Facebook. The threats were likely provoked by an earlier incident, where Keef's affiliate Ballout stole Way's chain and bragged about it on Twitter. Way posted both of Keef's cellphone numbers, urging people to notify him he's coming for him with a gun. He continued posting, stating he's in Keef's hometown of Chicago and asking Keef and Ballout to come to him. Chief Keef responded that he is currently in London but would talk to Way on his new number. Later the same day, Way issued a statement that his Facebook, Instagram and email were hacked and none of the earlier messages were written by him. On June 1, 2014 Way revealed on his Instagram that him & fellow artist Chief Keef had resolved their differences, little is known as to whether Way has settled his differences with Ballout.
- America's Most Wanted (2009)
- Who They Want (2011)
- The World Is Yours (2012)
- King Soulja (2013)
- Swag Tour (2014)
|2007||YouTube Live||Himself||Small Role|
|2008||What's at Stake?'||Himself||Small Role|
|2010||Malice N Wonderland||Soulja||Small Role|
|2011||Soulja Boy: The Movie||Himself||Documentary on his life|
|2013||Officer Down||Rudy||Supporting Role|
|2007||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Himself|
|Last Call with Carson Daly||Himself|
|2008||Live with Regis||Himself||Minor appearance|
|Access Granted||Himself||For his music video for "Bird Walk"|
|My Super Sweet 16||Himself|
|2010||When I Was 17||Himself|
|The Mo'Nique Show||Himself|
|Late Night with Jimmy Fallon||Himself|
|The Tonight Show with Jay Leno||Himself|
|2012||The DUB Magazine Project||Himself|
Awards and nominations
- BET Awards
- BET Hip-Hop Awards
- '2007: Best Hip-Hop Dance (Won)'
- Grammy Awards
- 2008: Best Rap Song: "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" (Nominated)
- Ozone Awards
- '2007: Patiently Waiting: Mississippi (Won)'
- 2008: Best Breakthrough Artist (Nominated)
- 2008: TJ's DJ's Tastemaker Award (Nominated)
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards
- 2007: Favorite Male Singer (Nominated)
- Teen Choice Awards
- 2009: Choice Music: Rap Artist (Nominated)
- 2009: Choice Music: R&B Track for "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (Nominated)
- 2009: Choice Music: Hook Up for "Kiss Me Thru the Phone"
- 2009: Choice Music: Artist (Nominated)
- Soulja Boy Tell'em Ready To Drop Paranormal Activity Mixtape
- Soulja Boy Burns Calories, Boosts Street Cred With Arrest
- Jake Paine (December 10, 2007). "Soulja Boy Comments On Fruity Loops Production". HiphopDX. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Soulja Boy, Will.i.am, Akon Take YouTube Live
- RealTalkNY (2010-08-17). "Forbes List The 2010 Hip-Hop Cash Kings (Jay-Z Remains King Of Kings) | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- ALLEN JACOBS (February 9, 2011). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 2/6/2011". Hip Hop DX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- SouljaBoy (2011-11-20). "Soulja Boy - Real Money (Cali Life)". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Cordor, Cyril (2007). "Soulja Boy Tell Em - Biography". Allmusic.
- Soulja Boy at SoundClick
- Soulja Boy @ YouTube
- Soulja Boy @ Myspace
- Vibe Magazine. Ayo, Technology by Brent S. Grier. November 2007. Page 50.
- Soulja Boy Official Soundclick Profile
- "Rap City" (September 2007). BET.
- Jeffries, David. "Souljaboytellem.com" Overview. Allmusic: 2007
- All Music Chart - Souljaboytellem.com
- Vozick-Levinson, Simon (2007-10-05). "Music Review: Souljaboytellem.com". Entertainment Weekly. Time. Retrieved 2007-12-27. "At least he owns a cool domain name. D"
- Robinson, Patrick. "Soulja Boy - Souljaboytellem.com Review". 411mania.com, LLC. Retrieved 2007-12-27. "... not a chore to listen to in that sense and Soulja Boy does show some signs of youthful enthusiasm."
- Griff. "Soulja Boy - Souljaboytellem.com". Okayplayer.com. Archived from the original on 2007-12-25. Retrieved 2007-12-27. "This one's definitely geared for the kiddies ... does an excellent job of catering to current industry trends with ringtone themes ... and dance moves galore ... Despite all the criticism that he's received from hip-hop purists, it'd be naive to think Soulja Boy hasn't changed the face of hip-hop"
- The Review - Review of Souljaboytellem.com
- Darryl Sterdan (December 15, 2008). "Reviewing the final new CDs of 2008; Soulja Boy Tell Em". Winnipeg Sun (Manitoba). "It isn't easy being Soulja. Everybody from Ice-T to LeBron James has been hating on the 18-year-old rapper and his hit Crank That. But before you feel sorry for him, crank his second CD. Then again, don't. Between the tossed-off shallowness of his tracks and the monotony of his repetitive vocals, you might decide that the only thing worse than being Soulja Boy is listening to him"
- "Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - YouTube Live Performance". YouTube. 2008-11-22. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Soulja Boy Tell Em - Charts & Awards - Billboard Singles". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- Westhoff, Ben (2009-08-19). "Dallas Music - The Five Most Interesting Things You Didn't Know About Soulja Boy - page 1". Dallas Observer. Village Voice Media. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Week Ending May 17, 2009: Three Days Is Plenty For Green Day Yahoo Music Blog (written by Paul Grein): Retrieved May 20, 2009
- Grein, Paul. "Week Ending Aug. 23, 2009: Over 50 And Still On Top". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- Harper, Rosario (2010-08-26). "Soulja Boy Tell Em Suffers "DeAndre Way" Setback". Sohh.Com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- Soulja Boy Tell'em Wants Jay-Z, Lil Wayne On DeAndre Way
- "Soulja Boy Speaks on New Album "Dre" // Current". Current.com. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2009-10-30). "New Soulja Boy Mixtapes | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2010-02-27). "Soulja Boy – Legendary Mixtape | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2010-04-05). "Commercial For Soulja Boy’s New Album, "Dre" | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- Artist Chart History - Soulja Boy Tell Em Billboard.com
- "Soulja Boy - Best Rapper - DJ Woogie, Evil Empire". Livemixtapes.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- Rodriguez, Jayson (2010-07-27). "Soulja Boy Tell'em Prepping Second DeAndre Way Single, 'Speakers Going Hammer' - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2010-10-13). "BET Hip Hop Awards Performances: Rick Ross, Dipset, J. Cole, Antoine Dodson & More | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Soulja Boy - Smooky // Free Mixtape @". Datpiff.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "New Music: Soulja Boy – ‘1UP’ [Mixtape]". Rap-Up.com. 2011-03-17. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Soulja Boy: 'I'm Headed for Greatness' with 'Juice' Mixtape, Mini-Movie - The Juice". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- Soulja Boy - Bernard Arnault EP (Limited Edition) Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - 21: EP Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy’s The Last Crown Mixtape « The FADER
- Soulja Boy - The Last Crown Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- SouljaBoy (2011-09-16). "Soulja Boy - S.Beezy TV Webisodes: New Album part 1". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Volledige naam. "Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Angelo (2011-10-01). "Soulja Boy – Skate Boy (Album Cover) | HipHop-N-More". Hiphop-n-more.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Soulja Boy (S.Beezy) - Supreme Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - Skate Boy (Deluxe Edition) Hosted by SODMG, Ocean Gang, Rich Kingz, Alien Team, // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - Skate Boy - SODMG
- Soulja Boy - Gold On Deck // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - 50/13 Hosted by SODMG Ent. // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy & Young L - Mario & Domo Vs. The World Hosted by SODMG Ent. // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - Obey Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Download Soulja Boy’s Obey Mixtape « The FADER
- "Too Faded (feat. The Game) - Single by Soulja Boy". iTunes. Apple. Retrieved November 5, 2011.
- Soulja Boy Discusses His Upcoming Album "Promise" - YouTube
- Soulja Boy & Vinny Cha$e - Double Cup City Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - Juice II Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- "Mixtape Release Dates: Master P, Fashawn, Gunplay, Mickey Factz". Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Soulja Boy - LOUD Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @". Datpiff.com. 2012-12-25. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "iTunes - Music - Loud by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-12-26. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Soulja Boy - Foreign Hosted by DJ Wats // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Starbury, Allen (2013-03-12). "Soulja Boy To Sign With Cash Money? Gets 'Rich Gang' Face Tattoo". BallerStatus.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- "Did Soulja Boy Sign With YMCMB?". Complex. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Soulja Boy, "Handsome" - XXL
- iTunes - Music - Handsome - Single by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
- iTunes - Music - All Black - EP by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
- Soulja Boy - Foreign 2 Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy Reveals New Mixtape Title, Cover Art & Release Date
- iTunes - Music - Cuban Link EP by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
- Soulja Boy - Cuban Link EP Hosted by RichGang // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Twitter / souljaboy: My new album "Life After Fame"
- Soulja Boy - Ridin Round | Stream & Listen [New Song]
- Twitter / souljaboy: First single dropping on radio
- Soulja Boy - Life After Fame // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - 23 Hosted by Stacks On Deck // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - 23 | Download & Listen [New Mixtape]
- Soulja Boy - The King Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - The King | Download & Listen [New Mixtape]
- Drake Releases 'We Made It' Freestyle Over Soulja Boy Track
- Soulja Boy - King Soulja 2 Hosted by SODMG // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
- Soulja Boy - King Soulja 2 | Download & Listen [New Mixtape]
- Soulja Boy - King Soulja II - NoDJ
- iTunes - Music - Super Dope by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
- Soulja Boy talks being an emoji, working with Nicki for 'Yasss Bish' | PopWatch | EW.com
- Nicki Minaj and Soulja Boy Collaborate On "Yasss Bish!!" - New Song - Fuse
- Soulja Boy Says Lil Wayne Will Be Featured On His “King Soulja 3″ Mixtape
- BBC - Music - Review of Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - iSouljaBoyTellem
- Soulja Boy - The DeAndre Way | Read Hip Hop Reviews, Rap Reviews & Hip Hop Album Reviews | HipHop DX
- Soulja Boy On Lupe Fiasco "Super Lyrical" Remarks, "I Don'T Even Care, 'Cause Controversy Sells" | Sohh.Com
- SODMG - Artist
- "Las Vegas Phenomenon (@M2thakSODMG) op Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- DJ Wats (djwats01) on Twitter
- John Boy Announces Split From Soulja Boy's Record Label | News | BET
- Jake Paine (December 10, 2007). "Soulja Boy Comments On Fruity Loops Production". HiphopDX. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Tweet (2009-09-03). "Kanye West & Soulja Boy Producing On Each Other’s Albums". iHipHop. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Osorio, Kim. "Soulja Boy Could Be Producing Tracks On 50 Cent's Album | News". BET. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Soulja Boy Is Working On Diddy's 'Money Making Mitch' And Lil Wayne's 'Tha Carter V' Albums | Vibe
- Soulja Boy Reveals Work On Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter V" & Diddy's "MMM" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- Gocobachi, Pamela (May 12, 2014). "Soulja Boy talks being an emoji, working with Nicki Minaj for 'Yasss Bish'". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- SouljaBoy. "Soulja Boy Tell ’Em—S.O.D. Money Gang Clothing Line". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Soulja Boy | YumsShoes.com | The Official YUMS Website and Online Shop | Shoes, Apparel and New Era Hats". YumsShoes.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Soulja Boy’s Ocean Gang Clothing Line — EveryoneLovesHipHop
- Media / Press – Ocean Gang Clothing
- Ocean Gang Clothing- Soulja Boy! | Pep Williams
- [dead link]
- SouljaBoy (2010-06-09). "Soulja Boy The Animated Series: Episode 1". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Soulja Boy Wants To Make A Movie Of His Life". MTV News. August 16, 2010. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- McKynzie, Amber (November 8, 2011). "Soulja Boy Talks New Movie, Upcoming Album". XXL. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Marianne Garvey and Sharareh Drury (October 18, 2011). "Soulja Boy Celebrates Movie Release With Drug Bust". E!. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Schneider (October 19, 2011). "Soulja Boy Tells Em Sorry for Drug Arrest, Promotes New Movie". Billboard. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Douglas, Clark (October 24, 2011). "DVD review: Soulja Boy: The Movie". DVD Verdict. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Nigel D. "Soulja Boy Plans To Remake The Movie "Juice" & Birdman Wants Him On Cash Money | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Twitter / souljaboy: my movie officer down is on
- "Souljah Boy: Guilty of Stealing and Inseminating". MTV Australia. 2008-01-10. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- Kaufman, Gil; Jayson, Rodriguez (2009-10-09). "Soulja Boy Tell'em Arrested For Running From Police". MTV News. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Brewster v Palm Tree Entertainment Complaint". Scribd.com. 2011-05-19. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Garner, Marcus K. "Soulja Boy out on bond after arrest in Carroll County". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Soulja Boy Arrested For Loaded Gun During Traffic Stop
- Soulja Boy Claims Gun He Was Arrested For Wasn't His - XXL
- Soulja Boy Says He's Going To Jail
- Soulja Boy Assaulted in Georgia Allhiphop.com, January 2, 2009
- Kaufman, Gil (2009-01-28). "Soulja Boy Tell'em Describes Alleged Robbery". MTV News. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- "Soulja Boy Mourns Death Of 14-Year-Old Brother Rapper's half-brother, Deion Jenkins, died after car accident in Charleston, Mississippi.". MTV. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Springer Jr, Anthony (November 15, 2007). "Soulja Boy Debunks "Superman Dat Hoe" Rumors". HipHopDX.com. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- Harrington, Richard (December 21, 2007). "Soulja Boy Cranks It Up Big-Time". Washington Post. p. WE12. "... some school dances and skating rinks have banned the song for sexual slang and innuendo, though naive teens seem to be more interested in the dance and the beat than in the lyrics."
- Hale, Andreas (2008-06-17). "Ice-T Tells Soulja Boy To Eat A Dick". Hip Hop DX.
- Soulja Boy Tell'em Talks About New Album, Battle With Ice-T MTV. June 25, 2008.
- Upmalis, Jordan (2008-06-23). "Ice-T vs. Soulja Boy Tell'em Video Blog Beef Heats Up; Kanye Weighs In". MTV News.
- Ryon, Sean (2011-05-04). "Ice-T, Soulja Boy Resume Beef Over "Juice" Remake | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Kuperstein, Slava (2011-05-09). "Soulja Boy Deads Ice-T Beef | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Charles Hamilton Blames Soulja Boy". Xxlmag.Com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2008-12-09). "Soulja Boy Responds To Charles Hamilton’s Comments | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2008-12-12). "Charles Hamilton – "I’m You Last Year With Talent" (Soulja Boy Diss) | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2008-12-13). "Charles Hamilton – "Word? Aight" (Soulja Boy Diss) | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2009-02-02). "Soulja Boy Wants To Race Bow Wow For His Lamborghini (Bow Wow Responds) | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- RealTalkNY (2009-02-04). "Bow Wow Proves He Owns His Lambo, Says R.I.P. To Soulja Boy’s Career & He Scared To Go ATL | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- Soulja Boy – F*ck Bow Wow (Bow Wow Diss)
- RealTalkNY (2009-02-07). "Audio: Bow Wow & Soulja Boy Have A Phone Convo, Beef Squashed? | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Soulja Boy Apologizes After Members of Armed Forces Slam His Anti-Military Song". FoxNews. 6 Sep 2011. Retrieved 8 Sep 2011.
- Fred A. Flores, a Marine Veteran and commissioner for the L.A. County Veteran’s Advisory Commission said, "It's a very offensive statement ... especially with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 coming up." "Soulja Boy RIPPED By Military Vet For Anti-Army Rap". TMZ. 5 Sep 2011. Retrieved 12 Sep 2011.
- WPGC radio personality Sunni said, "Wow! Soulja Boy is a mess! With the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks fast approaching, he released a song in which he disses the FBI and the U.S. troops. I find it extremely disrespectful since the families are still in mourning over the loss of their loved ones. What a dummy!"Sunni. "SMH! Soulja Boy Says F*ck The Troops, Just Days Before 9/11 Anniversary". WPGC Radio.
- "Soulja Boy and his camp are doing their damnedest to do some serious damage control after the swag rapper infuriated American military personnel with his ill-timed release of "Let's Be Real" during the week leading up to the tenth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks."Jom (staff writer) (10 Sep 2011). "Soulja Boy Apologizes for Anti-Military Lyrics". SputnikMusic. Retrieved 12 Sep 2011.
- Powers, Lindsey (8 Sep 2011). "Soulja Boy Removes Controversial Anti-Military Song From New Album". Hollywood reporter. Retrieved 8 Sep 2011.
- "Military Stores We're Boycotting Soulja Boy". TMZ. EHM Productions, Inc. 6 September 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- [Rap Beef] Soulja Boy Goes In On Hopsin, Says Diss Track Is On The Way
- Soulja Boy Talks Hopsin Diss [Sag My Pants] - YouTube
- Video: Hopsin & Soulja Boy Confront Each Other On Tinychat + 19-Year-Old Wants The Fade With Soulja! [Updated]
- Soulja Boy - That Nigga Not Me (Hopsin Diss)
- "Soulja Boy Sends Chief Keef Death Threats, Gets Quick Response". MTV. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Soulja Boy Is Threatening to Murder Chief Keef on Facebook Right Now". Complex. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soulja Boy.|
- Official website
- Soulja Boy on Twitter
- Soulja Boy on Myspace
- Soulja Boy's channel on YouTube
- Soulja Boy at MTV
- Soulja Boy at the Internet Movie Database