Soundwalk is an international sound collective based in New York City. It was founded by Stephan Crasneanscki in the early 2000s.
Soundwalk Audio Tours
Soundwalk produces walking guides of cities that offer the listener a narrative to follow in order to discover their surroundings in a new way. Soundwalk has produced guides for New York, Paris, Ibiza, Berlin, London, Varanasi, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Narrators representing their native cities and districts for the guides include, Gong Li, Paul Auster, Philippe Starck, Jazzy Jay and Afrika Bambaataa. Using native narrators is intended to direct listeners to more obscure attractions. Soundwalk city guides are designed for iPhone.
Tours of China
In 2008 Soundwalk produced walking tours in China for the Olympics in Beijing. The tours were created in collaboration with Louis Vuitton. Tours includes the cities of Beijing with narration by Chinese actress Gong Li, Hong Kong with narration by Chinese actress Shu Qi, and Shanghai with narration by Chinese actress Joan Chen.
In July 2006, The Paris Première TV station produced a series of five films based on the Paris Soundwalks. They subsequently distributed a collector edition DVD thougought Europe. The DVD was translated into 5 languages.
"Kill the Ego" Based on field recordings in New York City carried out by Stephan Crasneanscki and Dug Winningham over a period of ten years and with art by Rostarr; screened at the Pompidou Center in Paris (2009)
- "Now Representing Soundwalk", "Creative Exchange Agency", 3/8/2011
- "In Performance: Le Son du Nous by Philippe Starck & Soundwalk (Paris)" "Contemporary Performance", 3/17/2010
- Rachel Doyle "Soundwalk - The Future of Exploring" "Electronic Beats Online" 10/27/2009
- "Soundwalk for iPhone"
- "Walk In Luxury with Louis Vuitton Soundwalk", Korea Times, June 23, 2008. Accessed May 28, 2010.
- "Paris Première: Soundwalk Resume", Paris Première, June 2007. Accessed May 28, 2010.
- "About Soundwalk", Accessed April 15, 2011
- "Hors Pistes 2010: Un Autre Mouvement d’Images” Centre Pompidou, 2010. Accessed May 28, 2010.
- "24 Hours: The Starck Mix", Wallpaper*, September 10, 2009. Accessed May 28, 2010.
- "Soundwalk", Collectorserie, 2009.
- "Soundwalk Apps Launched for Paris Nuit Blanche a Huge Success", textually.org, October 5, 2009.
- "Chanel Mobile Art", Architonic, 2009. Accessed May 28, 2010.