Soup for One (film)
|Soup for One|
|Directed by||Jonathan Kaufer|
|Written by||Jonathan Kaufer|
|Music by||Nile Rodgers
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Release date(s)||April 30, 1982|
|Running time||87 min|
Soup For One is a 1982 sexually-themed romantic comedy that was directed and written by Jonathan Kaufer and produced by Marvin Worth. The R-rated film was released by Warner Bros. Pictures. Its tagline is "When you're looking for love, you find yourself doing some very funny things."
While the film was not a box office success, mostly due to mixed reviews and the over the top sex scenes (including one involving S/M), it is best remembered for its soundtrack, which was produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of the group Chic, who performed the title track.
The movie tells the story of Allan, a cable television producer in New York City who is determined to find the perfect woman, and he would even go so far as having a description of what she would look like done on an artist sketch. But before he can encounter the girl of his dreams he finds himself encountering a series of disastrous dating roadblocks. And when he does finally meet the woman, whose name is Maria, will it be happily ever after?
In addition to "Soup For One" (Pop #80, R&B #14), Chic also performed and produced four other cuts from the soundtrack: "Open Up," "Tavern on the Green," "I Work For A Living," and "Riding." "I Want Your Love" (Pop #7, R&B #5) which is also included, was a 1979 recording. Rodgers and Edwards also wrote and produced three songs for the film, one by Teddy Pendergrass ("Dream Girl"; he performs this in a cameo as a night club singer), another by Sister Sledge ("Let's Go On Vacation") and one for Carly Simon ("Why") (UK #10). Debbie Harry contributed a song to the soundtrack as well, called "Jump Jump." The album, released on WEA/Mirage Records, remains unreleased on compact disc.
Main article: Soup for One (soundtrack)
- In addition to Pendergrass, another singer, Suzzy Roche of The Roches, also has a cameo.
- The 2000 hit by Modjo, "Lady (Hear Me Tonight)", samples Chic's "Soup For One."
- Carly Simon's "Why" would end up becoming an underground club classic as well as a major hit in Europe.
- In 1990, A Tribe Called Quest sampled the whole instrumental version of "Why" for their hit "Bonita Applebaum".
- Writer/director Jonathan Kaufer was later briefly married to starlet Pia Zadora with whom he fathered a child.
- Saul Rubinek - Allan
- Marcia Strassman - Maria
- Gerrit Graham - Brian
- Teddy Pendergrass - Night Club Singer
- Richard Libertini - Angelo
- Andrea Martin - Concord Seductress
- Mordecai Lawner - Furniture Salesman
- Lewis J. Stadlen - Allan's Father
- Joanna Merlin - Allan's Mother
- Christine Baranski - Blonde in Bar
- Ellen March - Blind Date
- Maury Chaykin - Dr. Wexler
- Deborah Offner - Girl in Neon Bedroom
- Michael Jeter - Mr. Kelp
- Anna Deavere Smith - Deborah
- Laura Dean - Linda
- Marley Friedman - Zak
- Andrew Friedman - Zak
- Jessica James - Miss Farr
- Kate Lynch - WPCP Receptionist
- Suzzy Roche - Girl #1
- Claudia Cron - Girl #2
- Cheri Jamison - Girl #3
- Hilary Shepard - Girl #4
- Libby Boone - Girl #5
- Catherine Lee Smith - Girl #6
- Marisa Smith - Concord Dental Assistant
- Jaime Tirelli - WPCP Announcer
- Cristina San Juan - WPCP Weathergirl
- James Rebhorn - Lawyer
- Ron Faber - Man with Video Tapes
- Gloria Cromwell - Mrs. Franken
- Thomas Quinn - Police Officer
- Rick Lieberman - Sketch Artist
- Ellie Covan - Concord Registration Woman
- Bo Rucker - Man in Washington Sq. Park
- Jack Chandler - Stoned Cameraman
- Michael Pearlman - Young Allan
- Lauren Sautner - Young Rhonda
- Karen Werner - Receptionist
- Maggie Wheeler - Nurse
- Max Gulak - Italian Waiter
- William Cuellar - Chief Running Brook
- Mitchell Jason - Judge
- Sherrie Bender - Topless Girl at Door
- Kim Chan - Harold the Cook
- Linda Ray - Sally in Pool
- Lisa Parker - A Girl in Pool
- Merwin Goldsmith - Mr. Blum
- Olivia K. Le'Aauanae - Fire Knife Dancer
- Victor Truro - Man at Cellmates
- Anthony Cesare - Man at River Cafe
- Marvin Beck - Wedding Guest (uncredited)
- Jennifer Delora - Girl at Bar (uncredited)