South African comics
A South African comic is a book or periodical published in South Africa that contains sequential comic art stories.
South African comics are usually self-published books which cover a wide range of subject matter and styles.
List of South African comics
The following list represents comics that are currently available in print:
- Agenda (2012–present)
- The Baby Killers (2014)
- The Cat Lady by Shameema Dharsey (2014)
- Clockworx (2005)
- Cottonstar (2012–present)
- Crimson (2013–present)
- Echo Gear (2013–present)
- Free Beer (2010–present)
- Gofu (2013–present)
- Juvies (2012)
- The Lil' Five (2012)
- Madam & Eve (1992–present)
- Mengelmoes (2013)
- Nero (2013–present)
- The Number 1 Game (2013–present)
- The Oneironaut & Other Tales (2013)
- Philo's Wish (2013)
- Project Tilian-Rep (2013)
- Rebirth (2012)
- Run! There's Dinosaurs In The City (2014)
- Soccer Warrior (2002-Present))
- The Souvenir (2014)
- Sophie the Giant Slayer (2013–present)
- Super Dud (2014)
- The Tree Of Life Trilogy (2014–present)
- Tomica (2014–present)
- Velocity Graphic Anthology (2010–present)
- Velocity: Darker Forces (2014)
- The Way of Tao and Zen (2014)
- Week Daze: Volume 1 (2013)
- Wrath (2013)
- Super-Dud (2014)
List of South African webcomics
The following list represents comics that are currently available in webcomic format:
Notable South African comic book events
2013 saw the biggest ever Free Comic Book Day event organised in Cape Town by Readers Den, a comic shop in Cape Town. Local comic creators launch their new publications and showcase their work at these events.
The 2014 Reader's Den Free Comic Book Day event saw the launch of 15 new South African comic books, with some creators traveling from different parts of South Africa for the event.
The Open Book Comics Fest forms part of the annual Open Book Festival which takes place every September in Cape Town. The Open Book Comics Fest promotes South African comic artists, illustrators and cartoonists and includes a marketplace of over 40 tables, curated by Moray Rhoda.
These comic book related events host market places where local comic creators sell and sign their self-published comics, launch new comics and deliver comic-industry-related talks, panels, and workshops.
Notable South African comic book creators
One of the most successful South African comic creators working on international comic titles and publications is Joe Daly, the creator of The Red Monkey, Scrublands and the Dungeon Quest series. Dungeon Quest is published in the USA by Fantagraphics Books and in Europe by L'Association. It was nominated for the Ignatz and Eisner awards and won the coveted Angoulême Jury Prize.
Other South African comic creators with international publications include Karl Stephan, the author of Sparko, published by SLG, Sean Izaakse, an artist on Pathfinder for Dynamite Entertainment, and Jason Masters, an artist working for DC Comics on various titles, including Batman. Lauren Beukes, a well known South African author, has been writing for DC/Vertigo.
There also exists a smaller Afrikaans scene. Notable examples include the alternative and acidic comics produced by the Bitterkomix collective, as well as the gritty Coloureds series by brothers Nathan and Andre Trantraal.
- Comics: South African Roundup
- Comics: South African Roundup #2: Joe Daly
- Comics: South African Roundup #3
- Comics: South African Roundup #4
- The Cat Lady
- Comics: Soccer Warrior
- brainwavez.org: Comics: South African Roundup #4
Soccer_Warriorwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference
- Tomica #1 review
- Comics, Competitions, And Cosplay At Free Comic Book Day 2013 Cape Town
- brainwavez.org: Comics: South African Roundup #2: Joe Daly