South Amboy Middle High School
|South Amboy Middle High School|
|200 Governor Harold G. Hoffman Plaza
South Amboy, NJ 08879
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||South Amboy Public Schools|
|Principal||Patrick A. McCabe, Psy.D.|
|Vice principal||Ken Blekeski|
|Faculty||37.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||7 - 12|
|Enrollment||508 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.73:1|
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Greater Middlesex Conference|
South Amboy Middle High School is a six-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in seventh through twelfth grades from South Amboy in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the South Amboy Public Schools.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 508 students and 37.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.73:1. There were 140 students (27.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 36 (7.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 172nd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 165th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 209th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 198th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 205th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 3 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The South Amboy Middle High School Guvs compete in the Greater Middlesex Conference, which includes public and private high schools located in the greater Middlesex County area, operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 275 students in grades 10-12, the school is classified by the NJSIAA for most sports as Central Jersey Group I, a category that includes schools with enrollment of 117 to 490.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Patrick A. McCabe, Psy.D. - Principal
- Ken Blekeski - Assistant Principal
- Data for South Amboy High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 7, 2012.
- 2011-2012 Public Schools Group Classification for ShopRite Cup–Tennis–Soccer–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Home page, South Amboy Middle High School. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- South Amboy Middle High School
- South Amboy Public Schools
- South Amboy Public Schools's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the South Amboy Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics