South Apopka, Florida
|South Apopka, Florida|
|Orange County and the state of Florida|
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||125 ft (38 m)|
|• Density||2,400/sq mi (940/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0291334|
South Apopka is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Orange County, Florida, United States. The population was 5,728 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee Metropolitan Statistical Area.
South Apopka is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.1 km2). 2.3 square miles (5.9 km2) of it is land and 0.077 square miles (0.2 km2) of it (3.72%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,800 people, 1,763 households, and 1,338 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 814.3/km² (2,111.2/mi²). There were 1,925 housing units at an average density of 270.3/km² (700.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 26.81% White, 65.38% African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 5.50% from other races, and 1.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.76% of the population.
There were 1,763 households out of which 36.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.4% were married couples living together, 31.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.1% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.28 and the average family size was 3.70.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 34.9% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 26.8% from 25 to 44, 18.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $25,563, and the median income for a family was $29,750. Males had a median income of $21,757 versus $18,567 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $10,864. About 26.8% of families and 34.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 49.3% of those under age 18 and 38.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): South Apopka CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): South Apopka CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 25, 2012.