South Basildon and East Thurrock (UK Parliament constituency)
|South Basildon and East Thurrock|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South Basildon and East Thurrock in Essex.
Location of Essex within England.
|Electorate||71,819 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Stephen Metcalfe (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Basildon, Thurrock|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
Its predecessor seat, Basildon, was a much-referenced bellwether seat, having consistently voted for the most successful party (in terms of number of seats) in each election since its 1974 creation. In 2010, South Basildon and East Thurrock maintained this tradition by electing a Conservative MP, Stephen Metcalfe. The average Essex swing voters to which either party needs to appeal to win an election (matching the national outcome since 1966), have been represented by the combination of the old Billericay seat and its southern-part, Basildon replacements, this being the latest of these.
Before 1974 the area came within the older version of the Billericay constituency and, for just five years before 1950, this area was the eastern part of the Thurrock seat – from 1885–1945 the area was within the South East Essex seat. From 1832–1885 the area was in the South Essex seat.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Essex, the Boundary Commission for England made a number of radical changes to existing constituencies to allow for an extra seat to be awarded to the county.
The Basildon constituency that existed after 1997 was never wholly within the Basildon district, nor even contained the whole of the Basildon urban area, but it extended south into the Thurrock council area to take in towns such as Stanford-le-Hope and Corringham.
This new seat retains all of the Thurrock wards, loses some areas around central Basildon, and replaces them with Pitsea to the east of Basildon. Additionally, the ward of East Tilbury is added from the Thurrock constituency.
The electoral wards in the seat are:
- Corringham and Fobbing, East Tilbury, Orsett, Stanford East and Corringham Town, Stanford-le-Hope West and The Homesteads in the Thurrock district
- Langdon Hills, Nethermayne, Pitsea North West, Pitsea South East and Vange in the Borough of Basildon.
Economically the seat has a very similar proportion of jobseekers to the national average seat 3.8%, at 4.0%, (based on The Guardian's November 2012 study). This is higher than the average for the Eastern counties of 3.1% but significantly lower than Bedford, Great Yarmouth, Peterborough, Luton South, Rochford and Southend East, and Thurrock seats.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: South Basildon and East Thurrock|
|UKIP||Ian Luder ||12,097||26.5||+20.6|
|Labour||Mike Le-Surf ||11,493||25.2||-5.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Geoff Williams||1,356||3.0||-10.4|
|Independent||None Of The Above X||253||0.6||+0.3|
|General Election 2010: South Basildon and East Thurrock|
|Labour||Angela Evans Smith*||13,852||31.0||-9.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Geoff Williams||5,977||13.4||+2.8|
|Independent||None of the Above X||125||0.3||N/A|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- http://www.libdems.org.uk/general_election_candidates#East of England
- Statement of Persons Nominated Basildon Council
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Basildon South & Thurrock East". BBC News.