South Bend Airport (NICTD station)
|SOUTH BEND AIRPORT|
A South Shore Line train at South Bend Airport
|Address||4485 Progress Drive
South Bend, Indiana
|Platforms||1 island platform|
South Bend Airport is the eastern terminus of the South Shore Line serving South Bend Regional Airport. The station is 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of the central business district of South Bend, Indiana. In November 1992, this station replaced the South Shore Line's former terminus at the South Bend Amtrak Station. It was built at the end of what started out as Chicago, South Shore and South Bend Railroad's freight spur  NICTD and South Bend Regional Airport have considered moving the station to the west side of the airport (complete with a new track), but no concrete plans have been made as of February 2010.
The station has a ticket office and a waiting room. Because the station is incorporated into the South Bend Regional Airport building, riders can also take advantage of its extensive lounging areas, shops and a meditation room.
Until November 27, 2009, most eastbound weekend South Shore Line trains terminated at this station. Since then, those trips were cut in half, creating much larger gaps in service. This was done to improve on-time performance for South Shore trains, which suffered because the section of the line between Michigan City and South Bend is almost entirely single-tracked. Because of this, if the westbound train got delayed, the eastbound train got delayed even more as it waited for the westbound train to clear the track.
- Route 4: Lincoln Way West/Airport
- Tri State/United Limo routes
- Las Vegas
- St. Petersburg/Clearwater/Tampa Bay
- Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Chicago O'Hare Airport
- "At South Bend, trains now go to the Michiana Regional Airport, using an industrial spur which had been upgraded and extended. The airport is northwest of downtown South Bend."
- Poparad, Paulene (2008-06-30). "100 years ago today South Shore interurban began passenger service". Chesterton Tribune. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- NICTD March 2009 Board Meeting Minutes, Page 7