South Carolina Highway 125
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||56.2 mi (90.4 km)|
|Existed:||1938 – present|
|South end:||US 278 / US 301 in Allendale|
| US 278 / SC 28 in Beech Island
US 1 / US 78 / US 278 / SC 421 in Clearwater
US 25 / SC 121 / SC 230 in North Augusta
US 25 Bus. in North Augusta
|Counties:||Allendale, Barnwell, Aiken|
South Carolina Highway 125 (SC 125) is a primary state highway in the U.S. state of South Carolina. The highway serves as a direct route between Allendale and Augusta, Georgia, through the Savannah River Site (SRS); and an alternate to U.S. Route 278.
SC 125 is predominantly a two-lane rural highway, traveling in a northwesterly direction for 56.2 miles (90.4 km). Beginning in downtown Allendale, it is also known as the Augusta Highway and travels northeast to Martin before entering Barnwell County. Soon after entering Barnwell County is the Savannah River Site, which is limited to through traffic only. After a 17.3-mile (27.8 km) drive, and well into Aiken County, travelers exit the Savannah River Site and enter the town of Jackson. Continuing north, on what is now called Atomic Road, SC 125 joins a concurrency with US 278 from Beech Island to Clearwater. Entering North Augusta, it ignores I-520, connecting with US 25 before the road ends at Buena Vista Avenue. Going west on Buena Vista Avenue, it meets-up with US 25 Business at Georgia Avenue, where it ends, .7 miles (1.1 km) from Augusta.
Savannah River Site
SC 125 is the only state highway allowed through the southern portions of the Savannah River Site, and as such it is open to the public. However, for the next 17.3 miles (27.8 km), vehicles are prohibited from stopping (except for emergencies); mile-markers going north to south help travelers count the miles before they are out of the restricted area. The highway is flanked with trees and fences and, on occasion, defunct roads crossing the highway with gates restricting access; the biggest being the former SC 64 interchange near mile marker 8. Though the highway is maintained by SCDOT, it is patrolled by federal security; the speed limit throughout is 55 miles per hour (89 km/h).
Prior to 2006, checkpoints were located at both ends of SC 125. When arriving at the entrance checkpoint, drivers would receive a pass and may also have their car searched at that time. Drivers were required to return the pass at the exit checkpoint; for those that drove too quickly to the other end would be issued a speeding ticket. Drivers that failed to either return the pass or arrive later than expected could be withheld for further questioning by authorities. After 2006, the checkpoints were removed along route, though checkpoints still exist at some roads that go deeper into the Savannah River Site.
Established around 1938 as a new primary routing from US 1/US 78, in Hamburg, to US 25, in North Augusta. In 1953, SC 125 was rerouted onto Atomic Road and extended south along new four-lane primary routing to Beech Island, connecting with SC 28; then continuing south, through Jackson, to the Savannah River Site, ending at the gate. In 1965, /US 278 was overlapped between Clearwater to Beech Island. Between 1968-1970, SC 125 was extended southeast again through the Savannah River Site, ending at its current southern terminus in Allendale; SC 125 replaced what was SC 28 prior to 1951 and replaced part of SC 641, north of Allendale.
|Allendale||Allendale||0.0||0.0||US 278 (Railroad Avenue) / US 301 (Main Street) – Barnwell, Walterboro, Sylvania||To USC Salkehatchie|
|8.3||13.4||SC 3 (River Road) – Barnwell, Estill|
||No major junctions|
|Aiken||43.6||70.2||SC 302 north (Silver Bluff Road) – Aiken|
|Beech Island||48.0||77.2||US 278 east (Williston Road) / SC 28 west (Sand Bar Ferry Road) – Barnwell, Augusta||East end of US 278 overlap|
|Clearwater||53.0||85.3||US 1 / US 78 / US 278 west / SC 421 – Clearwater, Aiken, Augusta||West end of US 278 overlap|
|North Augusta||55.1||88.7||US 25 / SC 121 / SC 230 north (Martintown Road) – Edgefield, Augusta|
US 25 Bus. (Georgia Avenue) – Edgefield, Augusta
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
North Augusta truck route
|Location:||North Augusta, South Carolina|
|Length:||1.7 mi (2.7 km)|
SC 125 truck route travels north along Martintown Road, in concurrency with SC 230, then south on Georgia Avenue, in concurrency with US 25 Business, ending at the northern terminus of SC 125 at Buena Vista Avenue. The truck route stays along the commercial corridors of North Augusta, avoiding the homes and a park that exist along SC 125.
- South Carolina portal
- U.S. Roads portal
- Central Savannah River Area
- Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site
- Savannah River
- Google, Inc. "South Carolina Highway 125". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Railroad+Ave&daddr=E+Buena+Vista+Ave&hl=en&ll=33.173192,-81.421051&spn=0.9529,1.783905&sll=33.492377,-81.970904&sspn=0.007453,0.013937&geocode=FVmq9wEdT1Un-w%3BFZYN_wEd0TYd-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=10. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1939) (PDF). General Highway Map, Barnwell County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/27/rec/2. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Google, Inc. "South Carolina Highway 125 Truck - North Augusta". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Atomic+Rd&daddr=33.5012424,-81.964209+to:E+Buena+Vista+Ave&hl=en&sll=33.494667,-81.957192&sspn=0.029669,0.055747&geocode=FTcK_wEdkHsd-w%3BFTow_wEdT1Md-ynV2Udchcz5iDE93PW_3n77zw%3BFZYN_wEd0TYd-w&t=p&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&z=15. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- Media related to South Carolina Highway 125 at Wikimedia Commons
- Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: SC 120-129