South Carolina Highway 28
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||131 mi (211 km)|
|Existed:||1922 – present|
|West end:||SR 28 at the GA line near Pine Mtn, GA|
| US 76 / US 123 in Seneca
I-85 near Anderson
US 221 / US 378 in McCormick
|East end:||US 278 / SC 125 in Beech Island|
|Counties:||Oconee, Pickens, Anderson, Abbeville, McCormick, Aiken|
South Carolina Highway 28 is a primary state highway in the U.S. state of South Carolina. It traverses east–west from the Georgia, near Mountain Rest, to Beech Island. It is unique that it is a continuous highway, but separated by a 17.5-mile (28.2 km) stretch through Augusta, Georgia.
Route description 
SC 28 is part of a three-state highway 28, that totals 238 miles (383 km), from Tapoco, North Carolina to Beech Island. Because of its unique routing, both Georgia and South Carolina have two sections of Highway 28.
Starting at the Russell Bridge over the Chattooga River, SC 28 starts off as a mountain rural highway, cutting through the Chattooga Ridge at Callas Gap (highest point on route). After passing Stumphouse Mountain, the curves end as it enters Walhalla. Once south of Walhalla, the road expands to four-lane (some sections divided), traveling straight to Seneca, then east around Clemson then south towards and around Anderson. Once south of Anderson, it switches into a two-lane rural road through Antreville, around Abbeville, and through McCormick. Along the banks of Lake Strom Thurmond, it eventually crosses over a non-dammed section of the Savannah River near Augusta, Georgia.
SC 28 returns into the state, just southeast of Augusta as a four-lane highway for 1.9 miles (3.1 km) before ending in Beech Island.
Established as an original primary route in 1922, SC 28 went northwest from Allendale, through Ellenton, to Beech Island. In 1928, it was extended southeast, replacing SC 1 from Allendale to Yemassee, then replaced SC 30 to Beaufort. Seven years later, SC 28 was truncated in Yemassee, replaced by an extension of U.S. Route 21 to Beaufort.
In 1938, SC 28 was extended northwest, going through Georgia as SR 28, to Abbeville (replacing SC 20); then from Abbeville to Anderson (replacing SC 18); and finally from Anderson to the Georgia state line along the Chattooga River (replacing SC 24).
In 1940, SC 28 was extended southeast to Gardens Corner as new primary routing; however, eight years later the extension was dropped, truncated back in Yemassee.
In 1951 or 1952, SC 28 between Beech Island and Allendale was cut off by the establishment of the Savannah River Site. In 1953, SC 28 was rerouted north around the Savannah River Site (replacing part of SC 781), then along new primary routing south to Barnwell, and then back to Allendale (replacing part of SC 3). Most of the old route became part of SC 125 and SC 641; other sections, that now reside in the Savannah River Site, are off limits.
In 1957 or 1958, two bypass routes were built along SC 28: Seneca and Abbeville; old routes through both cities became SC 28 Business. In 1959, SC 28 was straighten out east of Seneca, avoiding Newry. In the early 1960s, two more bypass routes were built along SC 28: Anderson, South Carolina and Pendleton; also, SC 28 was rerouted north and east around Clemson, leaving SC 93.
In 1965, SC 28 was truncated at Beech Island, all points east was replaced by US 278 and SC 68. In 1973, SC 28 was moved south onto new road between Walhalla and Bounty Land, the old route became "Old Walhalla Highway".
Junction list 
|Oconee||8.5||SC 107 north (Oscar Wigington Scenic Byway) – Cashiers, Sylva||To Oconee State Park|
|Walhalla||16.5||SC 183 (College Street/Catherine Street) – Westminster||Brief overlap with SC 183|
|West Union||17.5||SC 11 (Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway) – Tamassee, Salem|
|19.5||Union Road/Popular Springs Road|
|Bounty Land||22||SC 188 north (Keowee School Road)|
|Seneca||23.5||US 76 west / US 123 west (Sandifer Boulevard) – Westminster||West end of US 76 and US 123 overlap|
|26||SC 130 (Rochester Highway) – Newry, Salem|
|30.5||SC 93 (Pendleton Road)|
|Pickens||Clemson||32||SC 133 (College Avenue) – Six Mile|
|32.5||US 123 east (Calhoun Memorial Highway) – Easley, Greenville||East end of US 123 overlap|
|33||SC 93 (Old Greenville Highway) – Central|
SC 28 Bus. east (Pendleton Road) – Pendleton
SC 28 Bus. east (Mechanic Street) – Pendleton
|44||I-85 – Greenville, Atlanta|
US 76 east to US 178 / SC 28 Bus. east (Clemson Boulevard)
|East end of US 76 overlap|
|49.5||SC 24 (Whitner Street)||To Anderson Regional Airport|
|52.3||US 29 / SC 81 (Murray Avenue) – Starr, Hartwell|
SC 28 Bus. west (Main Street)
|56.5||SC 185 (Due West Highway) – Due West|
|62||SC 413 – Iva, Belton|
|Abbeville||66||SC 284 north (Trail Road) – Belton||North end of SC 284 overlap|
|Antreville||67||SC 184 west – Iva||West end of SC 184 overlap|
|68||SC 284 south||South end of SC 284 overlap|
|68.3||SC 184 east – Due West||East end of SC 184 overlap|
|Abbeville||78.5||To SC 20 / Main Street – Due West|
|79||SC 71 – Lowndesville|
|82||SC 72 (Greenwood Street) – Abbeville, Calhoun Falls, Mount Carmel|
|McCormick||96||SC 81 north (Savannah River Scenic Byway) – Willington, Mount Carmel, Calhoun Falls|
|102||SC 10 north – Greenwood|
|McCormick||104||US 221 north / US 378 – Greenwood, Lincolnton||North end of US 221 overlap; to Baker Creek S.P. and Hickory Knob S.P.|
|Plum Branch||108||SC 283 east (Edgefield Street) – Edgefield|
|Modoc||117||SC 23 east – Edgefield|
|Clarks Hill||123||US 221 south – Harlem||South end of US 221 overlap|
|SC 28 traverses through Georgia as SR 28|
|Aiken||Beech Island||148||US 278 (Williston Road) / SC 125 (Atomic Road) – Barnwell, Jackson, North Augusta||Brief overlap with US 278; SC 28 ends|
Note – Mileage to Beech Island based on continues travel through Augusta, Georgia.
Bannered routes 
Since the late 1950s to early 1960s, SC 28 had spawn four business loops, of which only two are still active:
SC 28 Business
|Location:||Seneca, South Carolina|
Seneca business loop 
Business loop use to follow original SC 28 through the downtown Seneca; has since been decommissioned.
SC 28 Business
|Location:||Pendleton, South Carolina|
|Length:||3.8 mi (6.1 km)|
Pendleton business loop 
The 3.8 miles (6.1 km) route follows the original SC 28 through the downtown Pendleton, via Pendleton Road and Mechanic Street.
SC 28 Business
|Location:||Anderson, South Carolina|
|Length:||6.8 mi (10.9 km)|
Anderson business loop 
The 6.8-mile (10.9 km) route follows the original SC 28 through the downtown Anderson, via Clemson Boulevard and Main Street.
SC 28 Business
|Location:||Abbeville, South Carolina|
Abbeville business loop 
Business loop use to follow original SC 28 through the downtown Abbeville; has since been decommissioned.
See also 
- Baker Creek State Park
- Chattooga River
- Hamilton Branch State Recreation Area
- Hickory Knob State Resort Park
- Lake Hartwell
- Lake Keowee
- Lake Strom Thurmond
- Oconee State Park
- Rocky River
- Savannah River
- Seneca River
- Sumter National Forest
- Keowee River
- Redcliffe State Park
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: South Carolina Highway 28|
- Google Inc. Google Maps – SC 28 (North) (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+28+E%2FHighlands+Hwy&daddr=34.52098,-82.69248+to:S+Carolina+28+E%2FFurys+Ferry+Rd&hl=en&ll=34.361576,-82.235413&spn=1.888575,3.56781&sll=33.593191,-82.124455&sspn=0.007445,0.013937&geocode=FWTTFAIdqvIK-w%3BFZS_DgIdgDYS-yn_Rqq9Am9YiDFVx0YTtA5q7g%3BFRGWAAIdvuUa-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=17&via=1&z=9. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – SC 28 (South) (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+28+W%2FWilliston+Rd&daddr=S+Carolina+28+W%2FSand+Bar+Ferry+Rd&hl=en&ll=33.433626,-81.89415&spn=0.029833,0.055747&sll=33.425747,-81.884118&sspn=0.003729,0.006968&geocode=FYsK_gEdRoUe-w%3BFU1A_gEdyxoe-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=18&z=15. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – NC,GA,SC 28 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+28+W%2FWilliston+Rd&daddr=33.49796,-82.01128+to:34.5059009,-82.6851733+to:34.62817,-82.78059+to:34.9683,-83.18588+to:35.1983238,-83.3908387+to:N+Carolina+28+N&hl=en&ll=34.651285,-82.424927&spn=3.763729,7.13562&sll=33.471401,-81.989937&sspn=0.11928,0.222988&geocode=FYsK_gEdRoUe-w%3BFWgj_wEdcJsc-ykxzQYECc35iDHjl2BjkPCyBg%3BFayEDgIdC1MS-ymXew20Vm5YiDE_MFN1LTDqig%3BFUpiEAIdUt4Q-yn54goodWdYiDFOTTxHTBTGrw%3BFeySFQIdKK8K-ykL934tbeFYiDEMckHZTiCOrg%3BFXMVGQIdio4H-ymLm9TuOiVZiDES7Ud6leG8-w%3BFeQpHQIdcnz_-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5&z=8. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page". Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – SC 28 w/Georgia (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+28+E%2FHighlands+Hwy&daddr=34.52098,-82.69248+to:S+Carolina+28+E%2FFurys+Ferry+Rd&hl=en&ll=34.361576,-82.235413&spn=1.888575,3.56781&sll=33.593191,-82.124455&sspn=0.007445,0.013937&geocode=FWTTFAIdqvIK-w%3BFZS_DgIdgDYS-yn_Rqq9Am9YiDFVx0YTtA5q7g%3BFRGWAAIdvuUa-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=17&via=1&z=9. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – SC 28 Business - Pendleton (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+28+BUS%2FPendleton+Rd&daddr=S+Carolina+28+BUS%2FWoody+Rd&hl=en&ll=34.656722,-82.788076&spn=0.058812,0.111494&sll=34.634596,-82.782991&sspn=0.001838,0.003484&geocode=FWMdEQIdwVMQ-w%3BFTJ6EAIdJtEQ-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&z=14. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – SC 28 Business - Anderson (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=34.5280016,-82.6597902+to:34.494293,-82.6481123+to:S+Carolina+28+Truck+E&hl=en&ll=34.519146,-82.644482&spn=0.117818,0.222988&sll=34.522328,-82.651563&sspn=0.029453,0.055747&geocode=FTBVDwIdgj4S-w%3BFQHbDgIdMrYS-ymXnFZll25YiDE5AFt-ZDMFGg%3BFVVXDgId0OMS-ylvYWWc2G1YiDFrXBF9qxI6tQ%3BFZUGDgIdPNcS-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1,2&z=13. Retrieved 2011-07-01.