South Carolina Highway 462
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||35.7 mi (57.5 km)|
|Existed:||1942 – present|
|West end:||US 321 in Robertville|
| US 601 in Pineland
US 278 in Gillisonville
I‑95 / US 17 near Coosawhatchie
|East end:||SC 170 near Chelsea|
SC 462 is a rural two-lane highway that makes a half-circle in Jasper County, broken into four named sections of road. The first section named "Gillison Branch Road" begins at the intersection of US 321, in Robertville, and goes northeast to US 601, in Pineland, then east connecting with US 278, in Gillisonville. The second section named "Morgandollar Road," connects Gillisonville with Coosawhatchie. The third section named "Coosaw Scenic Drive" connects Coosawhatchie with SC 336, in Old House. The fourth section named "Lowcountry Drive" continues on from SC 336 to its eastern terminus at SC 170, in Beaufort County.
The highway connects to several historic places, including Robertville Baptist Church, Gillisonville Baptist Church and the Old House Plantation. However, it is not scenic as it is predominantly forest or swampland.
Established in 1941 or 1942 as a new primary routing from SC 170 to SC 46, in Bluffton, existing entirely in Beaufort County. In 1956, SC 462 ceded some of its routing to SC 46 (Bluffton Road). In 1958, SC 462 was extended north to Coosawhatchie and then west to SC 128, in Gillisonville, replacing SC 170. Between 1962-1964, SC 462 was extended west again over existing secondary roads to its current western terminus at Robertville; this brought the highway's maximum length to 46 miles (74 km).
Between 1965-1967, SC 462 east was truncated to US 278, in Old House, it's old alignment south to near Bluffton becoming part of US 278. By 1998, SC 462 was extended south after US 278 realignment to near Hardeeville, reclaiming some of its old routing to SC 170.
|Jasper||Robertville||0.0||0.0||US 321 (Cotton Hill Road) – Estill, Hardeeville|
|Pineland||2.5||4.0||US 601 (Cypress Branch Road) – Ridgeland, Hardeeville, Hampton|
|Gillisonville||12.7||20.4||US 278 west (Grays Highway) – Hampton||West end of US 278 overlap|
|13.5||21.7||US 278 east (Grays Highway) – Ridgeland||East end of US 278 overlap|
|18.3||29.5||I‑95 / US 17 – Savannah, Florence|
|Old House||27.8||44.7||SC 336 west (Old House Road) – Ridgeland|
|Beaufort||35.7||57.5||SC 170 (Okatie Road) – Hilton Head Island, Beaufort|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Google Inc. "South Carolina Highway 462". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=SC-462+E%2FGillison+Branch+Rd&daddr=32.6227733,-81.07963+to:SC-462+E%2FLowcountry+Dr&hl=en&ll=32.432715,-80.864868&spn=0.50478,0.891953&sll=32.35167,-80.926108&sspn=0.015789,0.027874&geocode=FT068QEdCwMp-w%3BFbXI8QEdstIq-ynD6vLnYub7iDGrQ2BTEDlOyA%3BFV6k7QEdozUt-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=11. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1943) (PDF). General Highway Map, Beaufort County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/706/rec/1. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1957) (PDF). General Highway Map, Beaufort County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/711/rec/4. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1959) (PDF). General Highway Map, Jasper County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/616/rec/3. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1966) (PDF). General Highway Map, Beaufort County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/720/rec/4. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (June, 2005) (PDF). General Highway System - Jasper County (Map). http://dbw.scdot.org/GISMapping/pdfs/County/Jasper_County.pdf. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Media related to South Carolina Highway 462 at Wikimedia Commons
- Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: SC 460-499