South Carolina Highway 5
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||51.1 mi (82.2 km)|
|Existed:||1922 – present|
|South end:||US 521 near Van Wyck|
| US 21 in Lesslie
I‑77 in Rock Hill
US 321 / SC 161 in York
US 29 in Blacksburg
|North end:||I‑85 / SC 198 in Blacksburg|
|Counties:||Lancaster, York, Cherokee|
SC 5 begins with a semi-interchange with US 521, near Van Wyck. Going northwesterly nearly its entire route, it crosses the Catawba River, entering York County. In Lesslie, it joins US 21, crossing over I-77 before splitting in Rock Hill. Going southwesterly around the downtown area, it overlaps with SC 121 (Albright Highway); then going northwesterly again in, overlapping with SC 901 (Hackle Boulevard). SC 5 exits out of Rock Hill solo again towards York; where there, it teams-up with SC 161 and bypass northeasterly around the city. Continuing on its northwesterly direction, it reaches its final destination of Blacksburg, where it connects with US 29 before ending at I-85 (exit 102) and SC 198.
Speeds along the highway does not exceed 55 mph (89 km/h), in both urban and rural areas. The highway provides a direct route from both US 521 and I-85 to both York and Rock Hill.
Established as an original state highway, SC 5 originally traveled from SC 9, in Fort Lawn, through Rock Hill and York, to SC 8, in Blacksburg. In 1929 or 1930, SC 5 was extended south along new primary routing to SC 22, in Great Falls. In 1938, SC 5 was extended on both directions, connecting north to SC 18 and south to US 21, in Ridgeway.
In 1939, SC 5 hit its apex with its last extension south along US 21 through Columbia. Then continuing south, replacing parts of SC 3, SC 6 and SC 33, through Swansea, Denmark, Olar, and Fairfax, ending at US 17, in Hardeeville. It total length reached 243 miles (391 km).
In 1950, SC 5 was truncated at US 21/SC 322, in Rock Hill; its old alignment between Rock Hill and Columbia becoming solely US 21 and from Columbia to Hardeeville becoming US 321. In 1951 or 1952, its alignment between York and Kings Creek was rerouted replacing SC 324 and part of SC 55; its old alignment becoming SC 91, SC 211 and SC 907. In 1959, SC 5 was realigned onto a more direct routing between Rock Hill and York; its old alignment became part of SC 161 and SC 274. Between 1960-1962, SC 5 was extended to its current southern terminus with US 521, near Van Wyck. Between 1965-1967, US 21/SC 5 was given a freeway bypass around Lesslie, its old alignment becoming secondary road Lesslie Highway (S-46-6).
In 1986, SC 5 was rerouted on bypass northwest around York, its old alignment through downtown becoming SC 5 Business. Around 2006-2009, SC 5 rerouted to its current northern terminus with I-85/SC 198, in Blacksburg; its old alignment was downgraded to secondary roads. In 2013, SC 5 was rerouted southwest around Rock Hill, along Albright Road and Heckle Boulevard; its old alignment downgraded to city roads with only its northern section of Main Street, between Cherry Road and Heckle Boulevard, converting into a connector.
|Lancaster||0.0||0.0||US 521 (Charlotte Highway) – Lancaster, Charlotte||To Andrew Jackson State Park|
|Van Wyck||2.7||4.3||SC 75 east (Rebound Road) – Van Wyck|
|York||6.4||10.3||Reservation Road – Catawba||To Catawba Reservation|
|Lesslie||7.9||12.7||US 21 south (Anderson Road) – Columbia||South end of US 21 overlap|
|Rock Hill||11.5||18.5||Springfield Road – Lesslie||Exit ramps not clearly marked|
|12.3||19.8||I‑77 – Columbia, Charlotte|
|12.8||20.6||US 21 north (Anderson Road) – Fort Mill||North end of US 21 overlap|
|13.2||21.2||SC 121 north (Cowan Road)||North end of SC 121 overlap|
|15.4||24.8||SC 121 south (Albright Road) – Chester||South end of SC 121 overlap|
|15.6||25.1||SC 72 (Saluda Street) / SC 901 south – Chester, Edgemoor||South end of SC 901 overlap|
|18.2||29.3||SC 322 (Cherry Road/McConnells Highway) – McConnells||South end of SC 901 overlap|
SC 901 north (Heckle Boulevard) / SC 5 Conn. south (Main Street) – Newport
|North end of SC 901 overlap|
SC 161 / SC 5 Bus. / SC 161 Bus. (Old York Road) – Rock Hill, York
|South end of SC 161 overlap|
|29.9||48.1||SC 49 (Charlotte Highway) – York, Lake Wylie, Charlotte|
US 321 / SC 161 north / SC 161 Bus. south (Filbert Highway) – Clover, York
|North end of SC 161 overlap|
SC 5 Bus. south (Black Highway) – York
|Cherokee||Kings Creek||6.4||10.3||SC 55 east (Clover Highway) – Clover|
|Blacksburg||49.9||80.3||US 29 (Cherokee Street) – Gastonia, Blacksburg|
|51.1||82.2||I‑85 / SC 198 east (Mountain Street) – Charlotte, Spartanburg, Earl|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Rock Hill truck route
|Location:||Rock Hill, South Carolina|
|Length:||5.1 mi (8.2 km)|
South Carolina Highway 5 Truck route (SC 5 Truck) once provided an alternate route for truck drivers to bypass downtown Rock Hill, via SC 72 (Albright Road) and SC 901 (Heckle Boulevard). In 2013, mainline SC 5 was rerouted from downtown Rock Hill and onto the truck route, thus eliminating it.
Rock Hill connector
|Location:||Rock Hill, South Carolina|
|Length:||1.0 mi (1.6 km)|
South Carolina Highway 5 Connector (SC 5 Conn) was established in 2013 when mainline SC 5 was rerouted west around downtown Rock Hill, via Heckle Boulevard; the connector route follows its old alignment on Main Street between SC 322 (Cherry Road) and SC 5/SC 901 (Heckle Boulevard). The route is unsigned its entire length.
York business loop
|Location:||York, South Carolina|
|Length:||4.3 mi (6.9 km)|
South Carolina Highway 5 Business (SC 5 Bus) follows the old route of SC 5 through downtown York, via Liberty Street. The highway begins on SC 5 just a mile and a half away northwest from downtown York. Connects with US 321/SC 161 and US 321 Business. After passing through the downtown area it links to the northern terminus of SC 324 before eventually rejoining mainline SC 5 southeast of York.
- Google Inc. "South Carolina Highway 5". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=34.9142147,-81.0452244+to:N+Mountain+St&hl=en&ll=34.969812,-81.180725&spn=0.490087,0.891953&sll=34.834342,-80.809186&sspn=0.015341,0.027874&geocode=FSmIEwIdEf0u-w%3BFaa_FAIdGFkr-ykfJ-9SuolWiDGmDjLh1-4MFg%3BFbI1GAIdhkck-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=11. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1940) (PDF). General Highway Map, Jasper County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/327/rec/2. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1940) (PDF). General Highway Map, Hampton County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/620/rec/1. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1951) (PDF). General Highway Map, Allendale County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/31/rec/2. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1942) (PDF). General Highway Map, Lexington County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/432/rec/1. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1948) (PDF). General Highway Map, Richland County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/330/rec/2. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1942) (PDF). General Highway Map, Chester County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/647/rec/4. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1943) (PDF). General Highway Map, York County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/319/rec/1. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1940) (PDF). General Highway Map, Cherokee County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/734/rec/1. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (October, 2013) (PDF). Rock Hill Urban Area, York County (Map). http://dbw.scdot.org/GISMapping/pdfs/City/Rock_Hill_City.pdf. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- Google Inc. "SC 5 Truck - Rock Hill". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Albright+Rd&daddr=34.9016382,-81.0305182+to:W+Main+St&hl=en&ll=34.921549,-81.023569&spn=0.061297,0.111494&sll=34.910886,-81.001489&sspn=0.015326,0.027874&geocode=FYvCFAIdpfYr-w%3BFYaOFAIdipIr-yn9vXy_NIhWiDGDJe_BX12q5w%3BFYwmFQIdLyAr-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved December 25, 2013.
- Google Inc. "SC 5 Connector - Rock Hill". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Main+St&daddr=W+Main+St&hl=en&ll=34.937804,-81.045413&spn=0.030643,0.055747&sll=34.940654,-81.051421&sspn=0.030641,0.055747&geocode=FUMWFQIdz2Ar-w%3BFYwmFQIdLyAr-w&mra=prev&t=p&z=15. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- Google Inc. "SC 5 Business - York". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+5+Business+E&daddr=S+Carolina+161%2FS+Carolina+5+Business&hl=en&ll=35.000754,-81.229734&spn=0.058566,0.111494&sll=34.98597,-81.201153&sspn=0.007357,0.013937&geocode=FVo4FgId4gQo-w%3BFQrZFQId1Pgo-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=14. Retrieved January 13, 2012.