South Coast (California)
The South Coast: San Diego to Oxnard, and east to Riverside-San Bernardino
|Population||~ 20 million|
It refers for the most part to the Southern California coastal counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego due to the cosmopolitan "SoCal" atmosphere and location of major urban coastal centers. Of these counties only the western two thirds of San Diego, coastal half of Ventura, most of Los Angeles and all of Orange are included.
However, some sources include the coastal half of Ventura, western part of Riverside, and southwestern part of San Bernardino Counties because of their proximity to the Pacific Coast and because they are in the same bio-region and watershed.[unreliable source?]
During the prohibition era the waters of the South Coast were a popular smuggling route in for alcohol. Largely forgotten in the later parts of the 20th Century, with increased security at the Mexico–United States border smuggling has increased; during the 2011 fiscal year, more than 200 smuggling vessels were observed. Most of the vessels attempt to off load their cargo of drugs and/or illegal immigrants in San Diego County, however destinations are as far north as the California Central Coast. Often, vessels used for smuggling operations are abandoned upon making landfall.
- Central Coast of California
- North Coast (California)
- Orange County
- San Diego metropolitan area
- South Coast Air Basin
- "The South Coast Bioregion -- An Overview". California Natural Resources Agency. State of California. 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- Ian Lovett (9 December 2012). "Land Routes Blocked, Smuggling Rises Sharply on California Coast". New York Times. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Jennewein, Chris (28 August 2014). "Panga Boat Carrying 20 Caught off Oceanside". Times of San diego. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
Garske, Monica (26 September 2014). "Several Arrested After Panga Boat Washes Ashore". KNSD. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Jill Replogle (20 December 2012). "For Boat Captain, Rescuing Maritime Smugglers Is Part Of The Job". KPBS. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
Winkley, Lyndsay (25 August 2014). "7 who fled from washed up panga located". San Diego Union Tribune (MLIM Company). Retrieved 25 August 2014.