South Dakota National Guard
The South Dakota National Guard is part of the South Dakota Department of Military & Veterans Affairs. It was created in 1862 as the State Militia. Its headquarters is located in Madison, South Dakota. It consists of the South Dakota Army National Guard and the South Dakota Air National Guard.
The Guard in South Dakota was first activated 1862 by the territorial governor, and consisted of six companies of militia, composed of cavalry and infantry. In April 1898 the first infantry was federailzed and deployed to the Philippines.
South Dakota Army National Guard
The South Dakota Army National Guard maintains and operates 32 armories, and in 31 different communities. Major components of the SD ARNG include field artillery, engineer, transportation, aviation, maintenance and medical units.
- Joint Forces Headquarters
- 196th Maneuver Enhanced Brigade
- 196th Regional Training Institute
- 109th Regional Support Group
- 139th Brigade Support Battalion
- 881st Troop Command
- 1/147th Field Artillery Battalion
South Dakota Air National Guard
- "South Dakota National Guard". Global Security. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- "Charmaine White Face: Deadly dose of uranium for soldiers". Indianz.Com. 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- South Dakota Air National Guard (www.sdsiou.ang.af.mil)
- South Dakota National Guard
- South Dakota National Guard Prepares for Blizzard Response
- Globalsecurity.org, South Dakota National Guard
- South Dakota Army National Guard accepts first UH-72A
- South Dakota Army National Guard unit begins engagement, training with Surinamese army
- South Dakota Army National Guard soldiers deployed to Iraq
- 147th Field Artillery Quick Response Force gets feet wet
- Bibliography of South Dakota Army National Guard History compiled by the United States Army Center of Military History