South Dayton, New York
|South Dayton, New York|
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,306 ft (398 m)|
|• Density||620/sq mi (240/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0965735|
The community was also known as "Pine Valley." The arrival of the railroad in 1875 promoted the growth of the village. The Village of South Dayton was incorporated in 1915. Possibly the most famous event to occur in South Dayton is that a revelation is reported to have been received by the Mormon prophet, Joseph Smith, Jr. in the home of Freeman Nickerson on October 12, 1833 know as Section 100 of the Doctrine and Covenants. At the time the settlement was known as Perrysburg, NY.
South Dayton is located at (42.362796, -79.051715).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
Skunks Corners is a small community southwest of the village.
As of the census of 2000, there were 662 people, 248 households, and 163 families residing in the village. The population density was 658.2 people per square mile (253.1/km²). There were 268 housing units at an average density of 266.5 per square mile (102.5/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.73% White, 0.30% African American, 0.30% Native American, 0.45% from other races, and 1.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.51% of the population.
There were 248 households out of which 35.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, 16.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.9% were non-families. 25.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the village the population was spread out with 33.7% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 26.6% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 87.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $29,375, and the median income for a family was $32,917. Males had a median income of $25,833 versus $22,404 for females. The per capita income for the village was $13,187. About 15.4% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.0% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Bill Bergey, retired National Football League player who made five Pro Bowls during his career, was born and raised in the village.
Country Side Sand & Gravel, one of the Gernatt Family of Companies
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: Doctrine and covenants revelation sites, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Steve Mortensen, p. 66, 2005, Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: The Doctrine and covenants: Scriptures: Section 100, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 2013, Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bill Bergey". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013.