South Delta Secondary School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
|South Delta Secondary|
Excellence with Diligence
|750 53 Street
Delta, British Columbia, V4M 3B7, Canada
|School board||School District 37 Delta|
|Vice principal||Mr. J. Johnston|
|Administrator||Mr. J. Johnstone|
|School type||Public high school|
|Grades||8-12 standard and french immersion programs|
|Language||English and French|
|Team name||Sun Devils|
|Colours||Yellow, Blue, White|
|Enrollment||1437 (30 September 2011)|
South Delta Secondary (SDSS) is a public high school in Tsawwassen, British Columbia, Canada. There are approximately 1350 students enrolled in each grade 8 through 12 (as of 2012). Graduation rates in the years 2005 to 2010 vary between 95% and 99%.
SDSS feeder schools include all the public Elementary Schools in Tsawwassen: South Park, Cliff Drive, Beach Grove, English Bluff and Pebble Hill. The school is near Dennison Park, and outdoor gym classes often occur there rather than on school grounds. SDSS shares its track with South Park Elementary School, and hosts the district and regional Track and Field events.
SDSS is the only secondary school in South Delta that has a French Immersion program. Any students from Ladner that wish to continue with French Immersion in high school must go to South Delta Secondary, since there is no French Immersion at Delta Secondary (in Ladner community). Students who complete the French Immersion program at SDSS will graduate with a Double Dogwood diploma.
Tsawwassen used to also have a public Junior high school, Tsawwassen Junior Secondary (TJS). In 1994, TJS merged with South Delta Senior Secondary to form South Delta Secondary School. During the following years students from Grades 8 through 12 attended classes in both the Senior (North) and Junior (South) buildings. In 2003, the South building property was sold and the building which formerly housed the Junior High school was demolished; it is now a housing development. The North building was subsequently expanded to accommodate all students, and now South Delta Secondary is the only public high school in the community of Tsawwassen.
Special programs at SDSS include a Hockey Academy, Soccer Academy, Film Acting Academy, and Culinary Arts program. In the upcoming 2012-2013 school year, SDSS will also have a Sustainable Earth Academy.
- Jesse Newman, CFL player
- Brendan Gallagher, National Hockey League Player, Montreal Canadiens #11
- Milan Lucic, National Hockey League Player, Boston Bruins #17
- Brent Seabrook, National Hockey League Player, Chicago Blackhawks #7
- Adam Waters, Canadian/American Stunt Double: The Amazing Spiderman
- Jonathan Blum, 23rd Overall Pick by Nashville Predators at 2007 NHL Entry Draft
- Gilbert Brule, 6th Overall Pick by Columbus Blue Jackets at 2006 NHL Entry Draft
- Evander Kane, 4th Overall Pick by Atlanta Thrashers at 2009 NHL Entry Draft
- Cody Franson, 79th Overall Pick by Nashville Predators at 2005 NHL Entry Draft
- Brad Merritt, Bassist for Canadian alternative rock group 54-40
- Jody Vance, Canadian Sportscaster (graduated 1985)
- Michael Lewis MacLennan Canadian playwright, screenwriter, and producer of television shows (graduated 1986)
- Matt Hill, Canadian/American Actor: 21 Jump Street, Madison (TV series), The X Files, Bordello of Blood, X-Men: Evolution, et al. (graduated 1986)
- Peter Cowley; Stephen Easton and Michael Thomas (June 2010). "Report Card on Secondary Schools in British Columbia and Yukon 2010". Fraser Institute.
|This Greater Vancouver Regional District school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|