South East High School (South Gate, California)
||This article possibly contains original research. (November 2008)|
South East High School is a comprehensive four-year high school located in the southeast area of South Gate, California.
The school is located in the Los Angeles Unified School District and serves grades 9 through 12.
Located on the site of the old General Motors plant in South Gate, California, South East High School was completed in October 2005 on a 57.45-acre (232,500 m2) plot of land. It is on one of the largest lots of any school in the LAUSD, and is bordered by the new Southeast Middle School to its west, and a comprehensive adult education center.
South East High School is part of the South Gate Education Gateway, which is composed of all the schools located on the old General Motors site in the city.
The school was known as Southeast Area New High School #2  prior to its opening. The school was built to alleviate the crowding at other schools in and around South Gate including South Gate High School, Bell High School, and Huntington Park High School.
The school was the first public high school built in the South Gate area in 73 years. Included in the South East High School plan was a student store, health office, food service, cafeteria, auditorium, gymnasium, swimming pool, sports fields and administration offices. Highlights of the school's campus are its parent center, tennis courts, and spacious theater-style auditorium.
The lead architect was Sean Kingston, a firm located in the New York area, and is described by this statement below.
20.367 mq / 223,000 s.f. – Completed 2005. This state-of-the-art facility houses 223,000 square feet (20,700 m2) of program for 2,500 students. The overall campus design includes six buildings on a 30 acre site consisting of a comprehensive sports facility with stadium and gymnasium, a band and choral wing with outdoor amphitheater, a 800-seat theater style auditorium, a library, classrooms and labs. This project was designed by Steve Fierce.. Website- http://southeast-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com/ 663
On Friday, September 30, 2011, an 18-year-old male student had an altercation with a 17-year-old female student (reportedly his former girlfriend) during lunch time. The 18 year-old allegedly stabbed his former girlfriend, a female school dean, and another male student who tried to break up the fight. His former girlfriend died during surgery at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood. The 18 year old was booked and later charged with murder; the other two were treated for laceration injuries.
As of the school year 2008–09, there were a total of 2,817 students attending the high school.
The mascot of South East High School is a Jaguar, and the school colors are silver and midnight blue.
The sports at the high school include:
- Cross Country
- Football * CIF Champions 11-12
- Soccer * CIF Champions 10–11
- Track & Field
- Color Guard
- Marching Band
Students who attend South East High School are on a traditional schedule. They are off the entire summer, and have a short winter, Thanksgiving, and spring break within the year. The school operates on a semester calendar, with quarterly progress points. The school currently runs on a 7 period schedule.
- Los Angeles Unified School District. Lausd.k12.ca.us. Retrieved on 2011-10-07.
- Southeast Area New HS No. 2/MS No. 3 (19370369) at California Department of Toxic Substances Control website. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- Project Details. Laschools.org (2010-02-26). Retrieved on 2011-10-07.
- Enriquez, Susana (March 2, 2005). "New Schools a Mixed Blessing for South Gate". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- News Corner. Laschools.org. Retrieved on 2011-10-07.
- Taylor Fierce Architects
- Sam Quniones and Rick Rojas, "Girl fatally stabbed at South Gate high school. Teen's boyfriend is booked on suspicion of murder in the attack at South East High School. Two who tried to intervene are hurt.", Los Angeles Times, October 1, 2011.
- Multiple Stabbings At High School In South Gate; School On Lockdown « CBS Los Angeles. Huffingtonpost.com (2011-09-30). Retrieved on 2011-10-07.
- High School Stabbing: Teen Charged in Fatal High School Stabbing Appears in Court - ktla.com KTLA.com (2011-10-04). Retrieved on 2011-10-14.
- School Profile. Search.lausd.k12.ca.us (2009-09-16). Retrieved on 2011-10-07.